Feedback?

Cdodd

Reaction score
So I've been thinking lately that I'd like to do something that will actually impact the people around me; my job as a computer repair technician is highly unrewarding. I don't want to live my life in front of a computer.

So I'm going back to school! And while I know that I want to work with the Deaf community, I'm not sure how I'd like to do it. I've narrowed it down to translating and interpreting, or majoring in Deaf education.

What I'm curious about, however, is, what's the general consensus? Is there an over-saturation of one or the other? For obvious reasons, I don't want to sink a bunch of money just to find out I won't be able to find a job in my major of choice.

tl;dr

Which is in higher demand? Deaf Ed teachers, or interpreters?

Don't you have genetic progressive hearing loss?

I would go with deaf ed as you might not be able to do the interpreting long term.

I do. That's a really good point, I hadn't thought of that. :) Thank you.

After further contemplation, I've decided that an alternate way to go would be to major in Deaf education (I think I was looking at a Master of Science degree with an emphasis in ASL and Deaf Education with a minor in secondary education) as a primary goal, and, while I've still got my hearing, I can put it to good use by getting certified as an interpreter. No sense burying and wasting talents, I figure. :) Opinion(s)?

I am a Deaf ed teacher and been at it for 10 years. Like any other job, it has its pros and cons. One thing you would need to have for this kind of job...a lot of patience. Good luck!

I am a Deaf ed teacher and been at it for 10 years. Like any other job, it has its pros and cons. One thing you would need to have for this kind of job...a lot of patience. Good luck!

Patience is something I have a very deep well of. I'll keep you in mind if I need any advice. :)

Back