FDA-Shocking Results on CI Statically

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the loss of hair cells you also loose clarity. So what it the point of me having residual hearing if speech sounds like gibberish?

Until your hearing loss progresses to where mine is, you will never understand nor can you ever compare your hearing to mine! You can not speak for me because you don't have my degree of hearing loss! But anyway even the amount of residual hearing I do have, I still consider important because stem cells will be able to use that and improve upon it. You do great with new HAs. I will need stem cells before I can do great like you do. A CI won't even come close to what you hear. I want better so I wait for stem cells.

Generally, because it is not useful. What good is hearing a loud enviromental sound, if you are never able to understand language?

It is about what you believe is important. I believe it is more important for my child to be able to understand spoken language than to be able to hear me clap very loudly, next to her, with her aids off.

I hear lots of environmental sounds and I understand language just fine. The only "problem" is when people are being rude and don't look at me in the eye when I communicate so I can read their lips. Unaided, I can hear loud claps. Aided I hear so much more than that.

Exactly.

I do not feel it is important for my daughter to speak a spoken language. As long as she is confidently fluent in her chosen method of communication (ASL) and literate in at least 1 written language (preferably more, but I won't get my hopes up yet), I will be beyond pleased.

I would consider it important for my future son/daughter to speak clearly and be able to communicate. But I am fine if it's due to reading lips. Who is to say that lipreading is inferior to listening? I can understand over 80% speech by reading lips which is comparable to what those with CI understand by listening. Ok so I can't hear phones, I don't care about phones. Way too many telemarketers and I know people who stop using the phone alltogether because of this. Lipreading is just another language like sign language and is in no way inferior! You are a big fan of sign language just like I am a big fan of reading lips. There's many ways to communicate!

I do better not great!!

I do better not great with my new HA's & from what my doctor tells me I will be as bad as you or worse soon enough(Just saw her again today, for more adjustments because few more DB's have gone bye bye)

That doesn't make sense. Are you giving the child sign? Then you are making the choice that they will be exposed to sign. That is adoor you forced open. Why is that ok but a CI isn't? Everything you do, every choice you make, everything is being "forced" on the child, the other things you just happen to think are right.

Sign language isn't forced open. Deaf babies naturally start using their hands for language. It's a natural occurrence unlike the CI. I never said the CI isn't okay, I just want to give my child that choice.

And CBJ, waiting till your son is 6 or 7 and let him decide is a nonsense. A child cannot be really able to make such an important decision at that age, c'mon!

Maybe not on his own but I would sit down with him and talk to him. We would make the decision together, it wouldn't just be "Okay hon, we're going to the audiologist now!"

I agree that visual language should be given, but NOT giving auditory information forever changes a brain too. Why not give everything you can?

Sometimes more isn't always better. As a child I never wanted to become fully sighted. My parents tried left and right to restore as much vision as possible and I didn't want it. That's why I want my child to have a choice in the matter. Maybe she wouldn't be able to process the sounds she hears. Maybe hearing would just feel unnatural to her. That's why I would talk to her about it and ask her how she feels about sound and if she likes to hear. I wouldn't burden her with the medical risks but I would ask how she feels about the sound she does experience if any, or if it's something wants.

Because, in the case of a CI, you are also taking away, destroying residual hearing.

Many, many kids being implanted could and do benefit from HAs but are implanted anyway. I know of at least 2 non-profound infants who were implanted without even doing a HA trial. Why not develop what was there to start with?

Exactly. :gpost:

Wow, it used to be, not all that long ago, that one could not be implanted until or unless hearing aids prove to no longer be beneficial(whatever that means).

this is off the point...

it is my experience, i met a few kiddos who were born HOH or deaf and got a CI at the earliest ages. They have been pracitcally speaking and signing at the same time, once they got older like they hit 6 years old or so. They decide to drop out signing ASL. They rather speak from now on. That's what i wonder. is it becasue they are ashamed of being deaf or not feel comfortable using ASL or thought they dont need ASL. that is a lot of questions. I notice lots of kids got older like 20's they realize for who they are and more likely end up getting involve with deaf community. So now let's see how the new generation deaf kids who got CIs and see what or how will they feel when they are in 20's.. guess wait till 15 more years from now. :hmm:

I do better not great with my new HA's & from what my doctor tells me I will be as bad as you or worse soon enough(Just saw her again today, for more adjustments because few more DB's have gone bye bye)

You got a new audiogram to show us?

this is off the point...

it is my experience, i met a few kiddos who were born HOH or deaf and got a CI at the earliest ages. They have been pracitcally speaking and signing at the same time, once they got older like they hit 6 years old or so. They decide to drop out signing ASL. They rather speak from now on. That's what i wonder. is it becasue they are ashamed of being deaf or not feel comfortable using ASL or thought they dont need ASL. that is a lot of questions. I notice lots of kids got older like 20's they realize for who they are and more likely end up getting involve with deaf community. So now let's see how the new generation deaf kids who got CIs and see what or how will they feel when they are in 20's.. guess wait till 15 more years from now. :hmm:

That experience is not limited to CI users though. It occurs in mainstreamed regular-run-of-the-mill hearing aid users as well. I think it has been going on for quite a while, eh?

A lot of it, I think gotta do with the frustration that their parents are not learning sign language as fast as they were. At least that was the reason why I avoid my family now. :\

Until your hearing loss progresses to where mine is, you will never understand nor can you ever compare your hearing to mine! You can not speak for me because you don't have my degree of hearing loss! But anyway even the amount of residual hearing I do have, I still consider important because stem cells will be able to use that and improve upon it. You do great with new HAs. I will need stem cells before I can do great like you do. A CI won't even come close to what you hear. I want better so I wait for stem cells.

I hear lots of environmental sounds and I understand language just fine. The only "problem" is when people are being rude and don't look at me in the eye when I communicate so I can read their lips. Unaided, I can hear loud claps. Aided I hear so much more than that.

I would consider it important for my future son/daughter to speak clearly and be able to communicate. But I am fine if it's due to reading lips. Who is to say that lipreading is inferior to listening? I can understand over 80% speech by reading lips which is comparable to what those with CI understand by listening. Ok so I can't hear phones, I don't care about phones. Way too many telemarketers and I know people who stop using the phone alltogether because of this. Lipreading is just another language like sign language and is in no way inferior! You are a big fan of sign language just like I am a big fan of reading lips. There's many ways to communicate!

My daughter can hear me talk to her from downstairs, she can hear and understand on the phone. From everything I have been told by everyone but YOU, lipreading is difficult, and often impossible.

Did not get a copy

Did not get a copy(Was to upset)

Exactly.

I do not feel it is important for my daughter to speak a spoken language. As long as she is confidently fluent in her chosen method of communication (ASL) and literate in at least 1 written language (preferably more, but I won't get my hopes up yet), I will be beyond pleased.

But you CAN have both. Why wouldn't you want that?

And you mean, fluent in your chosen method of communication. She didn't choose, you did. And you8 chose not to give her the option of the other language.

That experience is not limited to CI users though. It occurs in mainstreamed regular-run-of-the-mill hearing aid users as well. I think it has been going on for quite a while, eh?

A lot of it, I think gotta do with the frustration that their parents are not learning sign language as fast as they were. At least that was the reason why I avoid my family now. :\

Oh i need to clarify more in my previous post. It did happen to kids who are orally with hearing aids nowaday. Now it is the new generation that kids who are orally with CI users, will it be repeat the same story like what kids who wore hearing aids, who are bitterness with their lives due to the same reasons from whose kids wore HAs in 1970's.

remind you that lots of kids got CI that can't be removed so they are literally using them for the rest of their lives if they wish to. So, will they have limit themselve to be exposed to the deaf community, and the deaf community will be smaller and smaller. They will look at the deaf community, in their mind or attitude, "oh deaf community isn' for me, i am in the hearing world now." I just wonder because i am not there in 15 years later yet to witness at what happen to kids who got ci at their 1 years old to compare when they hit 16 to 20 years old. What will happen to their lives look like. :dunno:

souggy, sorry about the family.

Last edited:
But you CAN have both. Why wouldn't you want that?

And you mean, fluent in your chosen method of communication. She didn't choose, you did. And you8 chose not to give her the option of the other language.

My daughter has been wearing HAs since she was 4 months, in speech therapy since 5 months and has been doing auditory-verbal therapy since 6 months. She has been, and will continue to be, given every opportunity to speak other than CI. There's nothing that says she can't still speak. She's only 2, a very stubborn and independent 2 at that.

Right now, she is signing and developing beautifully.

I just don't think spoken language is important enough to warrant something as invasive as CI implantation.

I just don't think spoken language is important enough to warrant something as invasive as CI implantation.

Spoken language can develop without CI, I am living proof of this. See my other replies to you above.

Spoken language can develop without CI, I am living proof of this. See my other replies to you above.

Who knows... maybe, once she starts school in December, being in a new environment will spark something in her with all of the other kids around.

Right now, we just need her to catch up language-wise, be it manual or verbal. Since she's less delayed manually, ASL it is.

Wow, it used to be, not all that long ago, that one could not be implanted until or unless hearing aids prove to no longer be beneficial(whatever that means).

In the case of infants, doctors can petition for permission to implant that exempts the guidelines on an individual basis. Also, just because the FDA recommends guidelines doesn't mean that all doctors follow them.

Who knows... maybe, once she starts school in December, being in a new environment will spark something in her with all of the other kids around.

Right now, we just need her to catch up language-wise, be it manual or verbal. Since she's less delayed manually, ASL it is.

Good for you, WeeBeastie. Langauge is the important thing. Modality runs a far and away second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back