FDA-Shocking Results on CI Statically

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that 99% of parents are doing what they believe is best for their children and will be the most benifical in the long run. It is NOT the easy choice.

It is about opening doors, and providing opportunities.

But unfortunately I don't think 90 percent of parents include ASL in their CI children's toolbox. Just as they don't with HOH children either. They just don't consider it neccessary which is where the problems lie.

Oh really? Help with social skills and acquiring language? I disagree with this.
Yeah.....even many of the superstars tend to have significent social issues.

Nothing quite like a video without closed caption.

I think the reason there is a dearth of stats, etc on the success rate of the cochlear implant is because from 2003 and back 20(approximate)years, they entered clinical trials and parents were informed of this and the risks. About all you can get from the FDA from that time period are the guidelines they set, guidelines which (imo) wouldn't fly/be accepted today because of technological advances of the implant.

I would like to see in-depth numbers, facts, etc on this success rate from 2004. It doesn't appear the FDA's going to be forthcoming with this. Isn't it THEIR job? After all, they are the ones approving this device, right? I'd have a hard time swallowing what the audiologist combine would say if they are the source of that which I and many others would seek because of bias.

So, where do we get the information from 2004 and on?
First of I can't follow what Kalistas link is saying so I can't comment on it. Is this just more hearsay without backing it up with facts? Where is the actual FDA study?

We have discussed in other threads about how "success" is measured. If the implant was put in correctly the surgeon considers it a success. If the implant can communicate with the external processor the manufacture considers it a success. Those numbers I am quite sure make it into the statistics. However, what about the soft failures where the patient gains no benefit from the CI in connecting with the world around them. Where are those stats?

One thing that I keep hearing from some deaf folks is that parents choose a CI because they are lazy or because they don't accept their deaf child for who they are. I wish those people that make those claims would stop generalizing. While that may be the case for some, I have yet to encounter a parent that has chosen the CI route because they think it's easier. In fact, there is nothing easy about it.

First of I can't follow what Kalistas link is saying so I can't comment on it. Is this just more hearsay without backing it up with facts? Where is the actual FDA study?

We have discussed in other threads about how "success" is measured. If the implant was put in correctly the surgeon considers it a success. If the implant can communicate with the external processor the manufacture considers it a success. Those numbers I am quite sure make it into the statistics. However, what about the soft failures where the patient gains no benefit from the CI in connecting with the world around them. Where are those stats?

One thing that I keep hearing from some deaf folks is that parents choose a CI because they are lazy or because they don't accept their deaf child for who they are. I wish those people that make those claims would stop generalizing. While that may be the case for some, I have yet to encounter a parent that has chosen the CI route because they think it's easier. In fact, there is nothing easy about it.

Yeah, RD, I wanna know all that stuff, too. I am pretty sure now that the kind of results I am looking for just isn't out there and also not the FDA's job. It would be a complicated undertaking and would cost loads of money and would need to be from a completely unbiased commission. So we are not going to see anything like that soon, IMO. Not even via a FOIA search, I don't think.......

It has closed captioning. You just have to enable it on YouTube. Just click on the little triangle on the far right.

That isn't much use for Deafblind people like me who can't read captions. Could someone provide a transcription. I would have asked earlier but it's first I even knew people were responding to a vidio. I thought it was just a general discussion about CI safety.

I believe that 99% of parents are doing what they believe is best for their children and will be the most benifical in the long run. It is NOT the easy choice.

It is about opening doors, and providing opportunities.

This can be achieved by exposing a deaf child to sign language and Deaf culture. If parents choose the CI, chances are there's more to it than just opening doors because they could easily do that with sign language.

That isn't much use for Deafblind people like me who can't read captions. Could someone provide a transcription. I would have asked earlier but it's first I even knew people were responding to a vidio. I thought it was just a general discussion about CI safety.

I wasn't aware there was a video either. I'd appreciate a transcript too. :ty:

Aaaaaah.

Sorry about that dreama. Um, I will see what I can do. It's about nine minutes long. I will poke the original user to see if she is willing to send the .SRT or .SUB for copy and paste. Will also ask if she could paste the entire transcript from now on in her video-blogs.

Meanwhile... I will start typing.

Aaaaaah.

Sorry about that dreama. Um, I will see what I can do. It's about nine minutes long. I will poke the original user to see if she is willing to send the .SRT or .SUB for copy and paste. Will also ask if she could paste the entire transcript from now on in her video-blogs.

Meanwhile... I will start typing.

Thanks.

This can be achieved by exposing a deaf child to sign language and Deaf culture. If parents choose the CI, chances are there's more to it than just opening doors because they could easily do that with sign language.

That's true.
The biggest issues I have with CI in children is the fact doors are often closed when then this choice is made. I mean that a lot of doctors, Audiologist and speech trainers don't aprove of signing for CI users.
I think that there are laws in canada specifically saying that you either used signing OR you had your child implanted. You weren't alowed to do both. Souggy can correct me if I'm wrong there? It's just something I remember.

children (Wether HOH, profoundly deaf or CI users) suffer more isolation if not exposed to sign language. Before anyone tries to deny it, some oral deaf say their education was perfectly ok but then they seem the first on the list for wanting a cure for their deafness whereas I don't see so much need for a cure from the signing deaf community. That evidence seems to speak for itself.

Finished the transcript... First I am going to answer dreama's question.

dreama said:
The biggest issues I have with CI in children is the fact doors are often closed when then this choice is made. I mean that a lot of doctors, Audiologist and speech trainers don't aprove of signing for CI users.
I think that there are laws in canada specifically saying that you either used signing OR you had your child implanted. You weren't alowed to do both. Souggy can correct me if I'm wrong there? It's just something I remember.

Who told you this? Miss Buckets? While it is true the Canadian federal government is more powerful than the federal in the States, the provinces in Canada actually have more power over themselves than the individual states in the US have.

Far as I am aware, Alberta and B.C. has no such educational law regarding cochlear implants.

What you see is what you get with the closed captioning on the video-blog. Alright?

Transcript of Aguabo's "FDA: Shocking Results on Cochlear Implants" on DeafTV said:
* A woman with wavy brown hair appears on the screen. Appears to be Hispanic. She is wearing a brown jacket with a v-neck black blouse *

HELLO MY SISTERS AND BROTHERS.

HOW FUNNY? I ALWAYS WEAR THIS JACKET.

I THINK THIS HELPS ME TO THINKING. THIS IS MY THINKING JACKET, EH?

OK, I'D LIKE TO PRESENT THIS VLOG.

FROM MY EXPERTISE, I HAVE RESEARCH SKILLS; WAIT, BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME, I NEVER LIKE TO ADVERTISE MY EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND HOWEVER I THINK YOU NEED TO KNOW WHERE I COME FROM.

ALL RIGHT, I DID GO ALL THE WAY UP AND GRADUATE AT COLLEGE, THE MASTER OF SCIENCE DEGREE IN THE FIELD OF REHABILITATION COUSNELING AT SAN DIEGO STATE UNI.

COMPLETED WITH 3.8 GPA. I STUDIED THERE FOR 3 YEARS.

THEY TAUGHT ME A LOT ON HOW TO RESEARCH, ANALZYE AND COLLECT ALL PROOFS. I THEN COMPARE & GET THESE ALTOGETHER BY USING CROSSH-REFERENCES AND IN THE FORM OF APA STYLE. I HAD TO SUBMIT LIKE THAT IN ALL REPORTS AND PAPER TERMS.

I HAVE BEEN HELPING WITH SOME STUDENTS ON HOW TO CREATE THOSE PAPER TERS. FACTS MUST APPLY IN RESEARCHES. IF I MADE UP USING FALSE FACTS, THEN I WOULD BE PENALIZED AND DISMISSED FROM SCHOOL.WELL, I SHOULD KNOW THAT POLICY BETTER. I KNOW WHAT I HAVE BEEN DOING.

OKAY... I'D LIKE TO PRESENT MY FINDINGS FROM WHAT I'VE BEEN STUDYING, READING, OBSERVING & ANALYZING SINCE FEW DAYS AGO. ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO FOLLOW UP ON JAMES, KNOWN AS "ZURFER". HIS VLOG ON, "WE NEED INFORMATION"

THAT ONE, I AM GOING TO DISCUSS FURTHERMORE ABOUT HIS RECENT VLOG.

* she goes to turn off camera *

* grey screen appears *

* pink text: "FIDA Shocking Results on Cochlear IMplant Stats" *

* Aguabo appears on the screen again *

AS I BEGAN MY WORK VIA INTERNET, I TYPE IN, U S Food and Drug Administration Home Page AND I ENTERED "COCHLEAR IMPLANTS" IN THEIR KEY SEARCH. I REVIEWED IT AND AGAIN, I HAD TO READ EVERYTHING THOROUGHLY. I SEARCHED FOR A SPECIFIC INFO ON REPORTED STATISTIC & SUCCESS RATE. I DID LOOK EVERYWHERE INCLUDING WEBLINKS TO NIH, NIDCD & MANY MORE.

AT LAST, I DECIDED TO PAUSE & HOLD ON TO LATER, I MADE A PHONE CALL SPOKE W/ FDA REPRESENTATIVE TODAY. I MENTIONED THIS W/ THEM THAT I AM A RESEARCHER LOOKING FOR ALL ANSWERS TO MY INQUIRIES. SHE ANSWERED THAT FDA HAS ABOUT 10,000 EMPLOYEES. PLUS SOME INSPECTORS ALL OVER USA.

I ASKED FOR THEIR RECENT STATISTICS WITH THE RESULT OF SUCCESS RATE INCLUDING THE PERCENTAGE & NUMBERS ON BABIES TO ADULTS. WE NEED TO KNOW THOSE. ALL RIGHT, THAT REP PROVIDED HER EXPLANATION W/ ANSWERS, HERE YOU GO.

* grey screen *

* pink text: Here is FDA's result on Cochlear Implant *

* pink text underlined: STATISTICS: ...... ............ *

(SOUND OF CLICKING)

(STATIC SOUNDS)

* she looks confused as she types *

SORRY, WE ARE EXPERIENCING A TECHNOLOGICAL PROBLEM.

OKAY? ARE YOU READY? ARE YOU REALLY CURIOUS? DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW THEIR REPORTED STATISTICS? READY?

* grey screen *

* pink text: August 2009: No Results No Statistics NOthing exists in their records *

* Aguabo appears on the screen, pondering *

SOMETHING IS WRONG, HERE. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? THEY ONLY TOLD ME THAT THEY HAVE NO SUCH THING LIKE STATS. NO REPORTS, NO DOCUMENTS. NONE. NOT IN THEIR FILES, FDA'S, CI CORP'S & OTHERS. THEY HAVE NTOHING TO PROVE. "NO REPORTS"

* Aguabo makes a pondering face *

HOW INTERESTING!

* Aguabo rubs her face while pondering *

* grey screen *

* Pink text: So I pursued for valid answers... *

HEY? I PERSISTED BY ASKING THE FDA, "HOW COULD YOU...." UMMMM SHE ENDED UP BY TELLING ME TO "WAIT! WAIT! THEY TAKE CARE OF REPORTED PROBLEMS. THEY DO NOT HANDLE ANY REPORTED STATISTICS. NO. THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE TAKING CARE OF ALL REPORTS ON PROBLEMS. THAT'S ALL" I WAS LIKE, "OH" AND SANK IN.

CONTACTED THE OTHERS FOR REPORTED STATS, THEY ALL HAVE NONE. HEI, COCHLEAR IMPLANT CORPS, AGBELL THEY ALL HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW!

JUST WANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE YOU THAT I AM GETTING TO NOWHERE. THE MOREI I STRUGGLE, THE WORSE I FEEL WITH FRUSTRATION. I GOT TO DIVULGE SOMETHING WITH YOU. I AM TRULY DISAPPOINTED WITH HOW WRITERS INTENTIONALLY INTERPRET INFORMATION AND THINGS ON THE INTERNET. ON GOOGLE, I ENTERED THE SEARCH ENGINE & LOOKED FOR "SUCCESS RATE, COCHLEAR IMPLANT" THERE CAME UP A LIST OF WEBLINKS INCLUDING "WIKIPEDIA" ALONG W/ OTHERS. AS I FOLLOWED THROUGH AND STOPPED AT SOMETHING THAT INTERESTED ME. I WENT AHEAD AND CLICKED THAT WEBLINK AND IT PULLED UP AS HOME WEBPAGE. IT IS BECAUSE ON THAT GOOGLE LIST, IT DID SHOW SOMETHING INTRIGUING! AS I PROCEEDED AND READ ON THAT WIKIPIEDA'S WEBPAGE. I HAD TO READ ON AGAIN.

THEIR LANGUAGE WAS NOT THAT CLARIFIED ENOUGH WHICH DID NOT MATCH AND CORRELATED AS IT WAS SHOWN ON GOOGLE'S WEBLINKS AND ACTUAL HOME WEBPAGE. THAT FIRST LANGUAGE DID NOT SHOW UP ON THAT WEBPAGE. NOW I THINK I HAVE A REASON TO BELIEVE THAT SOMEONE SAW IT ON GOOGLE'S LIST OF WEBSITES, DID NOT LIKE IT SO THAT PERSON MUST HAVE INFORMED WIKIPEDIA TO REMOVE THAT LANGUAGE. I THINK YOU NEED TO SEE IT FOR YOURSELF.

* a screenshot of Google Search appears *

* A cropped image appears:

Cochlear implant - Wikipedia, the free encoypedia
The *cochlear implant* is often referred to as a bionic ear. .... Implantation into the has a low *success rate* with these people as the artifical ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochlear_implant - Cached - Similar *

* "low success rate" was underlined red in Paint *

* "low success rate was circled in red in Paint *

* Another cropped image of Google Search appears listing three websites:

How successful is cohclear implant? << Pilipino Deaf from the Eyes...
Are cochlear implants proven to have a high success rate? The reason why I'm having serious doubts is when I was putting sub-titles on the video, ...
deafphilipinnines.wordpress.com/.../how-successful-is-cochlearimplant/ - Cached - Similar

Similar questions with success rate cochlear implants improve hearing
I will be getting one next year. However, the spot in my mouth where I am getting th implant has never had a tooth there, and the bone hasn't had to support ...
askville.amazon.com/SimilarQuestions.do?...success+rate+cochlearimplants... - Cached - Similar

What is a Cochlear Implant?
Overview of cochlear implants and implantable hearing devices. ... Implantation into the cohclea has a low success rate with these people as the artificial ...
What is a Cochlear Implant? - Cached - Similar *

* Screen focuses on the highlight from hearagain.org *

* "low success rate" was underlined in red *

* "low success rate" was circled in red *

* grey screen *

* Pink text: "LOW SUCCESS RATE" ?!?!?!?!? *

* Pink text: They do not want us to know the truth that Deaf children with coclear implants have been unsuccessful! *

* Aguabo appears on the screen rubbing her chin *

OKAY. IF I WAS THE MOTHER WHO HAD DEAF BABY, THEN IT WOULD BE ESSENTIAL FOR ME TO BE FULLY INFORMED. BE AWARE OF ALL REPORTED STATS, FACTS AND HISTORY BASED ON SUCCESS RATE. I MUST KNOW EVERYTHING! HOW COULD MANYU AND MANY PARENTS AGREE ON GETTING THEIR DEAF CHILDREN ALL COCHLEAR IMPLANTS? 25,000 DEAF KIDS WITH CIs. HOW COULD YOU ? I MEAN WITHOUT BEING INFORMED? WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? WHY DON'T YOU JUST... HOLD ALL OF THIS? GET ALL FACTS FIRST ! FIRST BEFORE YOU AGREE ON FORCING A CI IN YOUR CHILD'S . THINK ABOUT THEIR CHILDREN'S RIGHT TO HAVING SELF-OWNERSHIP. THEY OWN THEIR BODY. NOT YOURS, NOT MINE, NOT PARENTS' THEY OWN AN INDIVIDUAL BODY OF THEIRS.

PLEASE THINK HARD.

* she turns off camera *

* Grey screen *

* Pink text: "There is no such thing as difficult Deaf child, only an inexperienced parent."*

:gpost:

Hi Souggy:
Thanks very much for the transcription.

Thank you so much for the transcription, souggy. :ty::ty:

It's hard to say what the success rate of the CI is because then we have to get into how we define "success". And what may be success for one person for another may be failure.

I agree. As a former teacher, however, I understand that parents often have difficulty accepting their children as they are. Even so-called "normal" kids.

Sad, but true.

Wow... that was the longest 9 minutes I have ever experienced in my life!

(Seriously, this could have save me a lot of time instead of wearing my brain out watching 9 minutes of what seems to be repetitive signing and information.)

Anyways, while Wikipedia is a good source of information... there will always be a small part of an article that's false or misleading due to what was put there by some random person out there.

For all we know, it was probably an anti-CI person who posted that article without backing it up. Then after Google updated their cache, someone else (or the same person) had that part removed for specific reasons (shame, false, no valid source, etc).

So, should we say that cochlear implants really has a low success rate? Who knows? Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't.

But one thing I do think needs to be done is more research into this subject.

Doing research into this will be very difficult due to how many people get cochlear implants and how many actually follow up on it.

I have friends who got CI, but stopped using them a few months later. Their reason was that they got tired of it.

Well, it takes patience and practice to improve on listening, understanding, and speaking. At first, you won't immediately recognize sounds that you hear. After time and patience, you will. At first, you will speak differently. After time and patience, you will learn to pronounce things properly. So, if you don't have the time or patience to do it... who is to say whether it was successful or not? Being able to understand sounds and speak like a hearing person doesn't happen overnight.

I have one friend who spent 3 years in order to learn to say things 90% proper pronunciation. If you weren't listening too hard, you could probably say that she spoke like a hearing person.

That's part of what would make it difficult. If people (who got CI) don't follow up with their doctor or audiologists, then how can we get reliable information on how well cochlear implants work?

Oh, babies getting CIs? That's another issue. They get CIs and parents don't use sign language (as rumored to be not recommended by doctors) with their kids. When those babies grow older and still show lack of hearing and understanding, could it be the CI or their brain development. Who knows? We can't give a very good accurate reading on whether CI is good on kids. It's also an issue of nature versus nurture. A deaf kid (without CI) raised with very communicative parents (who use ASL/SEE) could be better than a deaf kid (with CI) raised by not-so-communicative parents (who treat their kid like a hearing person with the assumption that he/she can learn everything on his/her own). That would be the case of nurture, not nature.

But then there's nature. Perhaps, the CI didn't work. The kid doesn't hear anything or does hear something, but not understand it... with CI. So, is the CI really working or is it because the kid's brain is not processing the sound properly.

There are a lot of things to be considered with researching on the success rate of cochlear implants.

That's why people shouldn't immediately treat cochlear implants as a "cure" or a "fix" for deafness. There are still other things to consider... plus patience.

I've also been looking for statistics on success rates but I couldn't find any either.

It would be interesting to have stastistics on:
How many implantee wear their CI?
How many can hear on the phone.
The life expectancy of someone who is implanted with a CI in comparision to the general life expectancy of all Deaf and HOH people.

These are stastistics I'd be very curious to read about.

I also looked at Wilko and but couldn't find the part that was stated in this vidio. It's not particularly factual. It says that deaf that were born deaf don't benifit from CI when it seems some do. Certainly HOH and some congenitally born deaf do. In fact I've been noticing them as being among the most successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back