FDA approves human embrionic stem cell research

Ah, with that -- I understand now. Think it is goin' to cost alot of money just to have a nerve replacement ? I mean, look at what you just have explained about prosthetic leg, CI/HA, cocktail drugs and all that -- don't cost much, but to have a nerve replacement... will it cost alot more than what we have today such as prosthetic leg, CI/HA, cocktail drugs and so forth ? I am not sure, if people could afford it. Think ANY kind of insurance will cover it ?

imagine how much it cost to have those research for cocktail drugs. that's not cheap either. they keep researching for better drugs against HIV/AID because they adapt to the drugs. that's not cheap either.

Look at it this way - our hybrid cars.... and computer in their first generation. Of course it's very expensive. It's expensive to research it and it's expensive to sell but they continue to research and to improve for better and cheaper solution. It will take a long time but it's worth it. now computers are cheaper although car is not because it's equipped with many many high-tech safety stuff but hey - they can replace car parts but your life is not replaceable. Same for stem cell. Oh btw - the cheaper solution for nerve/organ replacement is growing it from animal like pig.

For example - for organ transplant - you need a liver. Chance is - you will die because you are #2032 in the list. With stem cell research - the doctors have your DNA and they grow the liver inside the pig embryo that will be nearly 100% compatible to your body with very minimal risk of rejection. After the pig is born and grown up... which means the liver is fully developed in the pig. That means - the liver is ready for you and you will live for a long time with a brand new liver.

I remember you do not support that at all and you said you are not afraid to go to Heaven. :)

imagine how much it cost to have those research for cocktail drugs. that's not cheap either. they keep researching for better drugs against HIV/AID because they adapt to the drugs. that's not cheap either.

Look at it this way - our hybrid cars.... and computer in their first generation. Of course it's very expensive. It's expensive to research it and it's expensive to sell but they continue to research and to improve for better and cheaper solution. It will take a long time but it's worth it. now computers are cheaper although car is not because it's equipped with many many high-tech safety stuff but hey - they can replace car parts but your life is not replaceable. Same for stem cell. Oh btw - the cheaper solution for nerve/organ replacement is growing it from animal like pig.

For example - for organ transplant - you need a liver. Chance is - you will die because you are #2032 in the list. With stem cell research - the doctors have your DNA and they grow the liver inside the pig embryo that will be nearly 100% compatible to your body with very minimal risk of rejection. After the pig is born and grown up... which means the liver is fully developed in the pig. That means - the liver is ready for you and you will live for a long time with a brand new liver.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for your explanation. Much appreciate! ;)

I remember you do not support that at all and you said you are not afraid to go to Heaven. :)

Yep, that's right. :)

Ouch, that's gonna sting.

Insurance will rather pay for stem cell than shell out premiums for the Rx.

Yep, that's right. :)

btw - that's why it's called research. They keep researching and researching so that we won't have to use animal to grow organs. Remember the first time about stem cell? They have to use human baby's embryo for that. I didn't like that but finally after a while - we don't have to do that anymore because they can use baby's umbilical cord. Now they can do it with adult stem cell.

I have heard of possibility of using a piece of adult stem cell on our damaged body part to regrow the missing body part and nerves. I think that is cool and yet scary lol.

Ouch, that's gonna sting.

Insurance will rather pay for stem cell than shell out premiums for the Rx.

funny thing is - insurance and pharmaceutical companies work together (yes my conspiracy theory). Insurance will pay for CI but not HA because they considered HA as cosmetic thing. In return - they get $$$ incentive/bonus/etc. from CI companies.

:mad2:

It would be really nice with that technology, so meaning more open to opportunities to brand new organs that belong to me, not from someone else. :)

exactly the same way it helps for spinal cord patients. Spinal Cord and Deaf = nerve problem. Stem cell = solution for damaged nerves. You replace those nerves, the person's fixed.

Remember about woman who has to go thru facial transplant because of Travis the Chimp? Her eyes are gone because you cannot simply reattach nerves to eyes. It doesn't work like that.

I'll explain - right now, we can make person with one leg walk by providing robotic prosthetic leg. We can make people hear with CI/HA. We can help AIDS/HIV patients live longer with cocktail drugs. But there's one thing we can't - to repair the nerve. With stem cell - you definitely can and another possible thing about stem cell research is that you MAY be able to regenerate an organ - that means no more waiting for organ transplant. that is amazing.

:shock: Jiro desires to hearing her orgasms with stem cell implant in his hearing nerves.

It would be really nice with that technology, so meaning more open to opportunities to brand new organs that belong to me, not from someone else. :)

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: true!

:shock: Jiro desires to hearing her orgasms with stem cell implant in his hearing nerves.

:naughty: who? btw - I'm more interested in physical orgasm, not auditory type :naughty:

:naughty: who? btw - I'm more interested in physical orgasm, not auditory type :naughty:

obscene.gif
<=== Who ? YOU

Let me clarify some things with regards to medicinal health care costs.

FDA requires many years of investigation, testing, and analytical supportive statistical documentations. This cost is enormous to independent drug manufacturers. In order to cover this cost and make a profit while hopefully helping patients, they have specific contract or "patent" with government so that they have 8 years to market and distribute their meds. That is why you see so many generics (different manufacturer, same empirical chemical formula) not come out untl years after the drug exists. A majority of our Over the Counter meds were prescription only, and specifically patented. The end of a patent with FDA doesn't allow a medication to become over the counter, but if proven safe enough and potentially effective enough, a licence can be obtained to distribute the drug OTC and generic.

Major drug companies do have some sort of medication assistance programs and distribution assistance to some people who can qualify. FDA, US govt, gives tax breaks in exchange for assistive distribution to lower economic clients. I don't think this is the best answer to necessarily get appropriate meds to all qualified clients. But, at the same time there has to be some sort of capitolistic competitive edge, which only endorses and pushes drug companies to employ, educate, study, distribute, advertise to make known to the general public. I don't think there is one right answer as a solution and I definately fail to identify workable longterm solutions to healthcare.

My role in health care is to know everything about every med and anything to educate and notify a patient that I can to assist in how well or how safe the medication can be received or administered. I love medicine and educating patients so much. Every day is education and a learning day. Yeah, I know all to well the flaws or gaps in medicine/ health care, but I am very greatful to help other's and educate.

I do not expect stem cell cure for deafness for another 20 years
If ever.....I mean stem cell is still pretty much in a theoretical stage, as to what things it could help. I think that stem cell for deafness is going to be on a very low list of priorties to cure.............
Besides the CI/HA companies are going to be against it..........if there is a cure nobody will use their product.

btw - that's why it's called research. They keep researching and researching so that we won't have to use animal to grow organs. Remember the first time about stem cell? They have to use human baby's embryo for that. I didn't like that but finally after a while - we don't have to do that anymore because they can use baby's umbilical cord. Now they can do it with adult stem cell.

I have heard of possibility of using a piece of adult stem cell on our damaged body part to regrow the missing body part and nerves. I think that is cool and yet scary lol.

I am wonderin' what are they goin' to do with that thing after the baby is born -- ya know that thing with umbliical cord -- yikes, I forgot what the word is... gee :o -- but, anyway I am hopin' you know what I mean.

Well, with that thing - are they usin' it for stem cell ? I only can imagine that every mother who gave birth their babies and the doctors keep that thing -- what are they goin' to do with it ? Interestin' note here is that I've NEVER thought of askin' a doctor what he was goin' to do with it when I gave birth of all my 4 children.

I am wonderin' what are they goin' to do with that thing after the baby is born -- ya know that thing with umbliical cord -- yikes, I forgot what the word is... gee :o -- but, anyway I am hopin' you know what I mean.

Well, with that thing - are they usin' it for stem cell ? I only can imagine that every mother who gave birth their babies and the doctors keep that thing -- what are they goin' to do with it ? Interestin' note here is that I've NEVER thought of askin' a doctor what he was goin' to do with it when I gave birth of all my 4 children.

Are you talking about the placenta?

Stem cell technology is STILL a LOOOOONG way to go for deafness or other non-life threatening disorders. It's still in its infancy and there's already studies showing that stem cell can cause cancer in some patients recieving it and they're convinced its from stem cells since those cancers they found were not typical. It may be helpful for those who have terminal illnesses as they may prolong their lifespan but the risks may not be worth it for treating diseases that are not life threatening.

I do not expect stem cell cure for deafness for another 20 years and I also think it's more likely that implants will become more refined and more "biological" thus will keep implant companies stay in business.

Yep from other sites I've read on stem cell reseach on deafness, it is a very complicated progress and some believe it would take 20 to 50 years to see it improving.

I would already be very old then and my hearing would obvioulsy get worse so stem cell research may not be good enough for me when I'm an old man in the future lol but good enough for the future of my relatives. :) My great great grandfather was deaf too.

What's sad is that the deaf cluture may become excint after they have found a very successful cure for the deaf in the future.

Back