Father shoots daughter’s laptop after disrespectful Facebook post

I took out ALL the power cords to my son's electronics. He can't use anything now. Also, bagged up his Xbox, microphones, amps, guitars. etc., and have them locked up in the trunk of my car. The only thing he can do/use is the phone and watch TV.....all because he disrespected his teacher and me by skipping some classes...and denying it....So, he got a bad grade for that class!....And in order for him to get back all "his property"...he has to wait until next semester when he gets his report card again...to see if he has pulled that grade up, and has not cut any class(s)....

Teenagers can and will be disrespectful, lie and deny. I will not tolerate it at all. But to go as far as shooting up the laptop or even whipping him....No, I would not. But again, my sons have never said something so disrespectful on FB about me. They also do their chores, maybe a little grumbling about it...but they get it done or they are grounded.

I wonder what Sallylou would be posting if it had been the girl's mother and not her father that did this. :hmm:

As far as I can see, the kid didn't get anything but a return of the public humiliation she caused her parents.

The father didn't lay a hand on her, and if he can afford to destroy the computer that he bought for her, it's certainly a way of not letting her do that again.

As far as I can see, the kid didn't get anything but a return of the public humiliation she caused her parents.

The father didn't lay a hand on her, and if he can afford to destroy the computer that he bought for her, it's certainly a way of not letting her do that again.

the daughter humiliated and criticized her father in public (facebook) and it's unacceptable behavior. I'm sure that father told her not to do that but she kept doing it. so he shot up her laptop.

and that means his daughter will have to work hard to earn money and buy a new laptop. that is a poetic and productive justice. no more coddling or gimme gimme gimme.

the daughter humiliated and criticized her father in public (facebook) and it's unacceptable behavior. I'm sure that father told her not to do that but she kept doing it. so he shot up her laptop.

and that means his daughter will have to work hard to earn money and buy a new laptop. that is a poetic and productive justice. no more coddling or gimme gimme gimme.

I'm with you. I read what the father had to say on his page. Glad I did before jumping to conclusions.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Jiro, same if mom did it. It's crazy. It's like admitting that you can't handle your child and yourself.

The use of the gun did strike me as a bit radical, but I have to consider what part of the country this happened in and what culture we are talking about. For a North Carolinian, this seems pretty typical way to dispose of unwanted property. Lol.

The use of the gun did strike me as a bit radical, but I have to consider what part of the country this happened in and what culture we are talking about. For a North Carolinian, this seems pretty typical way to dispose of unwanted property. Lol.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3v0drnTdQ]Office Space Printer Scene - YouTube[/ame]

Those silly people. You scavenge the old machines for parts so you can build stuff.

My kids have lost their computer privileges for minor things. Cleaning the basement is always a good consquence. For a while I charged money when they kids fought. Both parties had to pay. That stopped the fighting immediately like nothing else. lol

There is still time for my other kid to turn rotten but I doubt it. If he does, I'll let you know. lol

I came home late and my dad was waiting me , he was drunk and really pissed off! He went outside with an ax and tried to open the hood of my car that he brought for me. Dad was going to use the ax on the engine but he was so freakin drunk he kept pulling on the vent instead of the hood release! I can relate to his! My dad would done the same thing but he would had use his double barrel hunting gun !

To link shooting an object to domestic violence and/or mental disturbance is going a bit overboard, I think.

In any case, here's the video of the father who shot the laptop. No captions but you can transcribe audio. Just listen to what the daughter wrote before you jump to conclusions about the father.

: Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen. - YouTube

Seven things from my point of view as an 18-year-old:

1. She was ranting, and I think that's allowable. If I were her mom and she had said that stuff to her parents' face, I would've punished her for that kind of rant.
2. She shouldn't have posted it on Facebook. Very stupid/childish/mean thing to do on her part.
3. If I was her mom and I found it, on FB or not, I would've punished her for the cursing, maybe not for the rant itself as long as she hadn't put it somewhere public/said it to my face.
4. She has to put dishes in the dishwasher? OH THE HORROR!:run: Try washing dishes in a sink (without complaining) for people who tell you to rinse your plate off after you're done eating but don't do the same thing themselves. Our dishwasher doesn't even work right and we almost never use it.
5. I didn't get a laptop until college (last year) because I needed it for college. Before that, I used a desktop computer in the corner that my dad got out of a dumpster. Back when I had a stepmom, I got punished/scoffed at if I was on the computer when she left and when she came in, even if I was working on schoolwork and even if I was only on for a total of 10-20 minutes out of the five hours she was gone. I didn't pay for my laptop, but I was very grateful for what I got (even though I HATE Macs). I actually suggested to him to buy the cheaper Windows one and put Mac on it, but he opted to buy the more expensive Mac and put XP on it, which I won't complain about, since I'm just happy I have a laptop.
6. I didn't have a job in HS, but that was for a variety of reasons. I didn't really ask for expensive stuff like this girl did, so I didn't really need money anyway. :P My brother does ask for expensive things, but he also buys them himself with money he gets from working on my grandparents' tobacco farm. And my parents still try to keep him from buying 100% frivolous things with the money he has.
7. Going to sleep at 10pm is a GOOD thing, girl. I WISH I could get my sleep schedule back to that!

All that said, I thought he was a bit extreme. I mean, at 14, my brother got his friends into the back of my dad's truck and drove it around our apartment complex (and he had other offenses to get punished for, too), and none of his stuff was shot, only taken away and he was grounded for a year. Still, I think the girl definitely deserved punishment.

Also, sorry for the long, hijack-y post.

I came home late and my dad was waiting me , he was drunk and really pissed off! He went outside with an ax and tried to open the hood of my car that he brought for me. Dad was going to use the ax on the engine but he was so freakin drunk he kept pulling on the vent instead of the hood release! I can relate to his! My dad would done the same thing but he would had use his double barrel hunting gun !

That crazy!

Drunk and mad is a very bad combination.

Seven things from my point of view as an 18-year-old:

1. She was ranting, and I think that's allowable. If I were her mom and she had said that stuff to her parents' face, I would've punished her for that kind of rant.
2. She shouldn't have posted it on Facebook. Very stupid/childish/mean thing to do on her part.
3. If I was her mom and I found it, on FB or not, I would've punished her for the cursing, maybe not for the rant itself as long as she hadn't put it somewhere public/said it to my face.
isn't facebook public, plus once something hits the internet you can never remove it. It will always exist somewhere for people to see.
4. She has to put dishes in the dishwasher? OH THE HORROR!:run: Try washing dishes in a sink (without complaining) for people who tell you to rinse your plate off after you're done eating but don't do the same thing themselves. Our dishwasher doesn't even work right and we almost never use it.
5. I didn't get a laptop until college (last year) because I needed it for college. Before that, I used a desktop computer in the corner that my dad got out of a dumpster. Back when I had a stepmom, I got punished/scoffed at if I was on the computer when she left and when she came in, even if I was working on schoolwork and even if I was only on for a total of 10-20 minutes out of the five hours she was gone. I didn't pay for my laptop, but I was very grateful for what I got (even though I HATE Macs). I actually suggested to him to buy the cheaper Windows one and put Mac on it, but he opted to buy the more expensive Mac and put XP on it, which I won't complain about, since I'm just happy I have a laptop.
6. I didn't have a job in HS, but that was for a variety of reasons. I didn't really ask for expensive stuff like this girl did, so I didn't really need money anyway. :P My brother does ask for expensive things, but he also buys them himself with money he gets from working on my grandparents' tobacco farm. And my parents still try to keep him from buying 100% frivolous things with the money he has.
7. Going to sleep at 10pm is a GOOD thing, girl. I WISH I could get my sleep schedule back to that!

All that said, I thought he was a bit extreme. I mean, at 14, my brother got his friends into the back of my dad's truck and drove it around our apartment complex (and he had other offenses to get punished for, too), and none of his stuff was shot, only taken away and he was grounded for a year. Still, I think the girl definitely deserved punishment.

Also, sorry for the long, hijack-y post.

maybe he was a bit extreme but he had tried taking it away before and she was not getting better.
other than that I agree with most of what you say

What a bitch!!! You dont destroy your kids stuff,man. REGARDLESS! The father is an idiot and probably paid his daughter's laptop. I guess he loves to play cowboy. :lol: Whynot do it private? He prolly thinks he so tuff,now.

maybe he was a bit extreme but he had tried taking it away before and she was not getting better.
other than that I agree with most of what you say

On #3, when I said "as long as it wasn't somewhere public," I meant like if she'd written it into a word document or had it on paper in her room or something. But yes, FB is a public place, sometimes even when it's not 'supposed' to be.

Yeah, I'm just saying, compared to her, my brother (who was in trouble for several serious things, some of which were technically illegal) got off easy, IMO.

Also, if he's an IT guy, couldn't he have done something like delete the OS and replace it with something like Windows 1? Or DOS? :laugh2: And then not tell her about it?:whistle:

Back