Father arrested for abandoning his son

That is so incredibly sad. Too bad the father wasn't able to get the support he needed to work through tough times.

This is a very sad story. There must be more to it than we know.

It sounds as if this guy was probably suicidal. He doesn't need to be arrested. He needs mental health services.

This is very sad. Definitely agree about mental issues.

For a moment, I thought it was like my dad. Right after my parents divorced, I realized how many times my dad would space out and forget to check on me when we go to a public place. So we'd lose each other. It was like I was the one checking on my dad so many times to make sure HE doesn't get lost.....

Wow, that's scary. He should put his son up first than himself if the economy goes to the toilet and find a way to survive.

It sounds as if this guy was probably suicidal. He doesn't need to be arrested. He needs mental health services.

A 60 year old man, who has worked all his life, taken care/and raised his son since the boy was 1 year old....Paying all his bills, owning a home...etc., etc.....then having it all taken away from him would be a major blow to anyone...no matter the age.

It's sad the man did not seek out the services that could have benefitted him and his son, perhaps his pride got in the way!...I do believe this man more than likely considered suicide many times....So I do agree, the man needs mental health services, not a jail cell.

My own boys were abandoned almost 11 years ago, but in different circumstances. Depression is an illness. And some Parents to love their children, but are at the end of their rope, some choose suicide, some will just run from their responsibilities that they cannot handle anymore, thinking and believing their child/children would be better off without them.

If you're poor enough, your kids can be taken away.

I've seen families in cheap apartments where four children sleep on the floor in the living room. If family service knew of that, buh bye. Then in order to have the children back, each child must have his/her own bedroom. It is a rotten system, but that is the way it goes.

I've seen families in cheap apartments where four children sleep on the floor in the living room. If family service knew of that, buh bye. Then in order to have the children back, each child must have his/her own bedroom. It is a rotten system, but that is the way it goes.

Try 10 people in a 2 bedroom apartment in the Hispanic infested areas in California.

Well, Here in Waterloo, Iowa. There are 68,000 living in 60 square miles of the city limits. That is far from dense. I am sure most people with lots in a small house or apt would be probably in the poor areas of Waterloo.

While that may be true...I believe in most cases, Family Services do try to keep the family together. And given time to apply for low income housing. But if the parent(s) have a felony on their record, of course they cannot qualify.

And as for 4 children sleeping on the floor in the living room....I do believe that bunk beds would solve the situation, no matter if they were in the living room....And the parents can get bedding for free, even vouchers for this.

Once a child/children are taken away from the parents, then there is a "list" of what the Parent has to do in order to get the children back.....A job, adequate housing, etc. I know of a single parent who had 3 children in one bedroom...and as long as it's clean, then Family Services OK'ed it.

Some parents complain that the "List" of things that are required they have to do in order to get their children back...is "too hard" and cannot be done....but there are people who have done it, out of love and determination to get their children back.....I do believe the Parents' record is a huge factor in the determination of the welfare of the child/children.

There are so many disadvantaged children. But as long as the Parent(s) are doing everything they can, the children are in school daily and have enuf food and a place to sleep, then DCF will approve that....Many Churches help with clothes and food...Rescue Missions...there are many organizations out there!...Parent(s) have to seek it out, ask questions. and even if the Parent has a felony on their record...the children will still received Medicaid benefits, but not the Parent(s)....Dental and Health (doctor/hospital) is free for the children.

Back