Fast speed test??

purplecatty

Reaction score
I just bought ASRock 970 Extreme 4 motherboard along with 2.8ghz Semptron 1 core processor and 2GB DDR3 memory card pre-installed in Ebay. Originally, former owner of this board told me that it was being used for Bitcoin mining (which is why mobo have 3 PCIe graphic card slots for 3 graphic cards used as alogrithim). Board is in excellent shape and boots up in UEFI and use mouse to configure. I have old Nvidia GeForce 9400 PCIe 8x graphic card with 512mb graphic memory and plugged it in to PCIe 16x slot.

Currently, I am running on LinuxMint 17 Qiana updated verson. I was testing new mobo to see how it runs. I decide to do Speedtest. My ISP (Consiolated Communication Inc.) and I have 30mpbs dowload and 5mbps upload package. I use OOkla and Speakeasy speedtest. Both showed result 97mpbs download and 4.97 mbps upload. I did same to different Speed test and it resulted 56mbps download and 5.3 mpbs upload. I was puzzled and not sure if it's a joke seeing my mobo can do download like crazy speed. Mobo have 1gbps ehternet built in.

I am planning on to install Windows 8 later.

In matter of fact it's a really nice powerful gaming motherboard for price of $74 in Ebay. Owner sold it with reasonable price because he lost his business and had to sell everything quick. My son already drooled over my board and I told him No No, It's MINE!! I paid for it!! (My son think Daddy always have fancy system).

I planned to save up $$$'s and get 8 core AM3+ Vershia CPU and pair of 8GB DDR3 ram (16gb total although mobo can go as far as 64gb maximum) and also Either ATI or Nvidia graphic with 2gb graphic memory.

I am not using it for gaming, But I wanted to use it for VMware or VirtualBox app to run different OSes on desktop. My son probably will use it for gaming purpose if asked my permission.

What ya think of crazy download speed ??? Is this a joke??

Catty

I had this kind of problem before, not just that download speed is so high or crazy, it was more of sloowww download speed and I said it to myself this must be a joke. Purchase for 50 Mb/s sync speed and soon after I got the speed upgrade, I test it and turned out that it was only between 25 to 30 Mb/s. So I immediately call Verizon tech that the speed was unacceptable. They came and do all kind of test and turned up nothing wrong with it. Tech did a speed test and came out 59 to 60 Mb/s. So I thought I give a try and use my laptop and yes, turn out about the same speed as what tech have. I realized that I may have a bad built in Ethernet. So I purchase PCI NIC and finally it worked much better, running close to 60 Mb/s. For you...I think your Mobo miscalculate the speed, maybe overclocking? Like your Input = 30 and Output x 3 = 90? (grin) Yes, I think it's a joke.

Make sense. It works fine on internet. It was quick getting around. My gut feeling it could be LinuxMint driver for Ethernet may be reading speed wrong. I will be installing Windows soon. Im sure that speed would be normal.
Catty

nonono-yes-10-gifs-9.gif

I just finally installed Windows 7 on my machine. At 2am, I did speed test and yike!! It did reached 100mpbs (no joke!!) and uploade is as usual 5mbps. Then next day. My son decide to download Fiesta and World of Tank files. He said it's not even 10 minutes and it downloaded file so fast. He said usually his laptop will take him about 45 min but my system would go far less. He was impresssed but jealous. He wanted to buy my system. I told him No! you buy your own system. :lol:

Catty

Back