Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery

This is the update that the girl has passed away last Friday.

"The teenager at the center of an impassioned debate over how to define death has died, according to her family’s lawyer.

More than four years have passed since something went wrong after 13-year-old Jahi McMath underwent throat surgery at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland.

Jahi initially seemed fine after the procedure, then blood began gushing from her mouth and nose. Later she went into cardiac arrest and was declared brain-dead.

Refusing to accept that pronouncement, Jahi’s family kept her on life support in New Jersey, which makes exemptions for death determinations that violate religious beliefs.

A San Francisco attorney who represents the family said she died at 9 p.m. last Friday from bleeding due to liver failure and a brain injury caused by a lack of oxygen. Christopher Dolan, who has worked pro bono for the family since 2013, said the state of New Jersey is issuing a death certificate with all of that information. It includes the new time and date of Jahi’s death."

More here: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Family-says-Jahi-McMath-on-life-support-since-13035873.php

This is the update that the girl has passed away last Friday.

"The teenager at the center of an impassioned debate over how to define death has died, according to her family’s lawyer.

More than four years have passed since something went wrong after 13-year-old Jahi McMath underwent throat surgery at UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland.

Jahi initially seemed fine after the procedure, then blood began gushing from her mouth and nose. Later she went into cardiac arrest and was declared brain-dead.

Refusing to accept that pronouncement, Jahi’s family kept her on life support in New Jersey, which makes exemptions for death determinations that violate religious beliefs.

A San Francisco attorney who represents the family said she died at 9 p.m. last Friday from bleeding due to liver failure and a brain injury caused by a lack of oxygen. Christopher Dolan, who has worked pro bono for the family since 2013, said the state of New Jersey is issuing a death certificate with all of that information. It includes the new time and date of Jahi’s death."

More here: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Family-says-Jahi-McMath-on-life-support-since-13035873.php

Finally. Let her Rest in Peace. I am curious to see the results after her brain's study is done.

Last edited:
Yes, but I'm afraid that it may be far from over between the families and hospital involving legal issues. At least the girl can rest in peace and in good hands now.

Yes, but I'm afraid that it may be far from over between the families and hospital involving legal issues. At least the girl can rest in peace and in good hands now.

That, I can't believe about how is insane in our country.

Case of Jahi McMath, girl declared brain-dead, raises judicial issues

This is going to be messy down the road, they are asking jury to annul the California's 2013 death certificate and use NJ's June 22nd death certificate. Among other issues the family is pursuing.

Info in this new article here:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/arti...declared-brain-dead-13039308.php?t=4fb42b4062

If Jahi's families appeals all way to US Supreme Court so the judges will side with hospital because of business and make more difficult to win the medical malpractice lawsuit. US Supreme Court is getting more conservative, pro-business nowadays so business > individual.

I was reading in one of the baby forums a while ago, and they were talking about the case. Someone posted a live interview video (HLN) that grandmother admits she was suctioning Jahi after the surgery. Gee. Can't post a video because it contains no CC. There is another rumor that a nurse claims grandmother or some family member fed her pieces of cheeseburger or chicken nuggets right after the surgery. It is also rumored Jahi had a popsicle but she complained she was hungry. You know after surgery, you are not supposed to eat solid food. I also question the rumor, too. I am sure it will bring up at a court. I predict when they cut open her head, it will look like a soup. This is just sad.

Last edited:
Could get ugly when the City of Oakland charges Jahi's family members with involuntary manslaughter for feeding Jahi the same day she had her surgery. There actions led to her death. Sadly the family is in complete denial.

I was reading in one of the baby forums a while ago, and they were talking about the case. Someone posted a live interview video (HLN) that grandmother admits she was suctioning Jahi after the surgery. Gee. Can't post a video because it contains no CC. There is another rumor that a nurse claims grandmother or some family member fed her pieces of cheeseburger or chicken nuggets right after the surgery. It is also rumored Jahi had a popsicle but she complained she was hungry. You know after surgery, you are not supposed to eat solid food. I also question the rumor, too. I am sure it will bring up at a court. I predict when they cut open her head, it will look like a soup. This is just sad.

That!!! Not follow the medical instruction lead to complication, such as a lot of bleeding and brain dead. I was told to put ear bandage on for 72 hours and it was uncomfortable so my mother works in the nurse for 35 years told me that remove the bandage earlier could lead to bleeding and death, so it wasn’t joke.

It would be a hard to win the medical malpractice lawsuit if they don’t follow the instruction.

Back