Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery

Im sad to learn about this one. I am not sure if it caused by apnea?? but i couldnt believe that actally happened to her. It can happen anythng with the minor surgery like csection, CI , etc.

Wow...had my tonsils and adnoise taken out many moons ago with no complications....I smell a lawsuit here....anyway, very sad for this to happen.

I also stopped breathing during my surgery last year....

Apnea mean it is having trouble breathing while trying to sleep. My deceased husband had it. Also she had other complication health issues that she could not have the surgery if nothing can save her. But the doctors thought that she will be okay after she had the tonsil surgery. You have to remember that doctors are not Gods or miracle healers.

I can understand the parents being distraught losing their daughter who became brain dead. They expect to have miracle hoping that their daughter will come back alive and awake. Beside, it is so unexpected that the parents are not ready to let go of their daughter. It take time to heal for the family members to finally dawn on them that they will have to let their young girl go into the spirit world.

That is very sad that this happen to the young girl and the unexpected family members. :(

:( I hope the family will pull through this okay. It is incredibly sad, but complications can happen with even the smallest operations. :( It would be nice if she did wake up. :(

The family wants to move her to long-term care facility.

"...Doctors had recommended the tonsillectomy to treat Jahi's sleep apnea, weight gain, inability to concentrate, short attention span and uncontrolled urination, her uncle Omari Sealey told CNN on Monday in a telephone interview.

"They said that she would have more energy, focus more, lose weight, and the urinating would stop," he said...."

I wonder if she should have had the surgery in the first place. That's a lot of symptoms to blame on tonsils. :hmm:

WTF !! What does your tonsil have with to peeing too much and not being to think clearly??? this sound a lawsuit to me. I knew a girl in school that was HOH and she told me it was from having her tonsils removed .

The family wants to move her to long-term care facility.

That's probably worthy try, but the article did say, "Sealey said that Jahi's brain had been deprived of oxygen. "Now she is 100% brain damaged," he said. "Medically dead."

It seems it's not much optional. :(

If court allows hospital to pull the life support so family will not have any choice.

This girl is brain dead and no way to revive her.

WTF !! What does your tonsil have with to peeing too much and not being to think clearly??? this sound a lawsuit to me. I knew a girl in school that was HOH and she told me it was from having her tonsils removed .

The reason why young people especially adults had to have tonsils is because it can remove to make room in the throat. It is like having asthma like having difficult to breath. But the problem is she had other complications that she should not have tonsil surgery. But the doctors were looking the other way. The poor 13 years old girl was having a hard time with her breathing and other complications that go with it.

The family members especially her parents wanted to have it done so that she will feel better whole. But it did not work that way. That is why it is sad and I have to agree with the doctors that it is time for her to go from her life support machines. :(

Just read where the long-term Nursing Home the family had chosen for her care, now refuses to accept her, due to lack of medical equipment and experience. They are trying to find another one, in another city...and do plan to file a lawsuit against the Nursing Home.....

The reason why young people especially adults had to have tonsils is because it can remove to make room in the throat. It is like having asthma like having difficult to breath. But the problem is she had other complications that she should not have tonsil surgery. But the doctors were looking the other way. The poor 13 years old girl was having a hard time with her breathing and other complications that go with it.

The family members especially her parents wanted to have it done so that she will feel better whole. But it did not work that way. That is why it is sad and I have to agree with the doctors that it is time for her to go from her life support machines. :(

"Doctors had recommended the tonsillectomy to treat Jahi's sleep apnea, weight gain, inability to concentrate, short attention span and uncontrolled urination, her uncle Omari Sealey told CNN on Monday in a telephone interview.

"They said that she would have more energy, focus more, lose weight, and the urinating would stop," he said."

I still do see how removing the tonsil would help with 'uncontrolled urination'
This very sad the girl is so young . I can understand the parents hoping she will wake up but it does not look like it's going to happen.

The local article said that the family and lawyer claimed they found a nursing home and (recently 2nd came forward) that accepted her and insurance approved to pay for it. This is sad, yes but the family should take a reality check that once a brain dead there is no reversible for that. It just shows that the family could not move on.

Read on: Family seeks hospital's help to transfer brain-dead girl

Had my tonsils out when I was 7 because they kept causing strep throat. My sister refused and she keeps getting infections (she is 2 years younger ) now she wanted them out but doctors said NO as it is a high risk in adults to remove them, she is stuck with them now.
Mine were removed at the same time they put tubes in my ears, first major surgery I ever had...never had any issues. It depends on the person and the capactity of what their body can tolerate.

The local article said that the family and lawyer claimed they found a nursing home and (recently 2nd came forward) that accepted her and insurance approved to pay for it. This is sad, yes but the family should take a reality check that once a brain dead there is no reversible for that. It just shows that the family could not move on.

Read on: Family seeks hospital's help to transfer brain-dead girl

When I look at the photos of family members in court. All I see is the stepfather and the grandmother of 13 years old girl. I don't see her mother at all. Is the mother with them? :hmm:

Yes, she goes back and forth from court and hospital, she probably staying by her daughter's side watching in the hospital at the time.

When I look at the photos of family members in court. All I see is the stepfather and the grandmother of 13 years old girl. I don't see her mother at all. Is the mother with them? :hmm:

"Doctors had recommended the tonsillectomy to treat Jahi's sleep apnea, weight gain, inability to concentrate, short attention span and uncontrolled urination, her uncle Omari Sealey told CNN on Monday in a telephone interview.

"They said that she would have more energy, focus more, lose weight, and the urinating would stop," he said."

I still do see how removing the tonsil would help with 'uncontrolled urination'
This very sad the girl is so young . I can understand the parents hoping she will wake up but it does not look like it's going to happen.

Maybe it has something to do with sleep deprivation?? :dunno:

OAKLAND -- A Los Angeles area long-term care facility that had been willing to accept Jahi McMath has withdrawn its offer, leaving a New York hospital as the only apparent option for the brain-dead girl as a 5 p.m. Monday deadline to remove her from a ventilator approaches, her mother and attorney said Sunday.

"I just found out that the facility my daughter was supposed to be going to has backed out," Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield, wrote on the family's fundraising website early Sunday. "My family and I are still striving to find a location that will accept her in her current condition."

That leaves an unnamed New York hospital "as our last, last hope,'' Jahi's lawyer, Christopher Dolan, said. The facility is "run by "an organization that believes in life," Dolan told The Associated Press.

Dolan said the unnamed Los Angeles area facility withdrew its offer because it didn't want media attention or to jeopardize its relationship with its doctors, who refused to treat someone who's been declared brain-dead.

As Jahi's family prepared for a Sunday afternoon fundraiser at an Oakland church to help pay for a possible airlift, it remained unclear what will happen in the hours ahead.

Doctors at Children Hospital Oakland have refused to perform a tracheotomy for breathing and insert a gastric tube for feeding, procedures that are needed in order to transfer the 13-year-old, saying it is unethical to perform surgery on a deceased person.

Several doctors, including one appointed by a Superior Court judge, have determined that Jahi is brain-dead and will not recover. Alameda County Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo on Tuesday ruled that Children's Hospital may remove Jahi from a ventilator at 5 p.m. Monday unless an appeal is filed.

Jahi underwent tonsil surgery and two other procedures at the hospital Dec. 9 to treat sleep apnea. After she awoke from the operation, her family said, she started bleeding heavily from her mouth and went into cardiac arrest. She was later declared brain-dead, but her family, saying they believe she is still alive, has fought to keep on a ventilator even as doctors at Children's Hospital urged them to accept her death.

"The family has been told by doctors and by a judge that Jahi McMath is dead. And that is very sad, but there has to be some recognition that the situation is not going to change," a spokesman for hospital, Sam Singer, has said.

But her family is fighting on, launching a fundraising drive on the website GoFundMe to pay for a possible transfer. As of noon Sunday, the site reported $17,715 had been raised toward a goal of $20,000.

The family fundraising event is at e p.m. today (Sunday) at Church of All Faiths, 2100 5th Ave., Oakland.

To view the fundraising page, visit Jahi Mcmath Fund by Latasha Nailah Winkfield - GoFundMe, or contact the family at Jahi McMath, P.O. Box 5128, Oakland, CA 94605-0128.

Jahi McMath: Mom and lawyer say only remaining option for brain-dead girl is a New York care facility

Sounds like the family is out of options, and let her go rest in peace.

Back