Facial Masks- COVID-19

Barbaro

Reaction score
Ok, it's a huge challenge for all of us obviously. We have no idea if anyone with a facial mask actually talks to us. I seriously am thinking of writing "I am deaf" across a facial mask to send a message.

Have you had been in a position when someone with a facial mask tried to talk to you?

At work, some co workers wore masks, my co worker use their phone and open a notepad and text to tell me what they're sayin... that helped. As for public such as stores, I haven't been approached by someone wearing masks trying to talk to me. If that happens, I'd inform him/her that I am Deaf and I can't hear/understand a word you're talking because of the masks. If it's not that important, they may say never mind.

I had to go to the post office. I could see the mask wiggling but no idea what she said. Fortunately it was a post-paid package so I just had to hand it to her.

I have not been out to have occasion for it to happen. But I have the app Live Transcribe on my phone and would turn that on and try to get it that way.

@Jane B. Live Transcribe doesn't work due to noise background and glass window. I was at HEB the other day and HEB just made changes to install a giant Plexiglass window as a barrier between a customer and a cashier, so it blocks sound waves. I have to say it is about 6 feet higher and 5 feet wider. I have to hold it under the window. It's not reliable since it can hear beeps when a cashier scans items.

@Calvin That is great for co-workers to find solution to communicate with you.

@zephren I often see the mask wiggling, but all I have to do is shrug. lol

@Jane B. Live Transcribe doesn't work due to noise background and glass window. I was at HEB the other day and HEB just made changes to install a giant Plexiglass window as a barrier between a customer and a cashier, so it blocks sound waves. I have to say it is about 6 feet higher and 5 feet wider. I have to hold it under the window. It's not reliable since it can hear beeps when a cashier scans items.

I did not think of that part. We do not have a HEB here (what ever that store is) but groceries would be from Walmart, ALDI, Schnucks or even Dollar General that I can think of at the moment. I do have a corded mic that I connect to my phone mainly to keep from covering up the mic on my phone when I am holding the phone. If I encounter this when getting groceries I will try putting that mic to the hole in the glass that they put money through.

I was thinking of encounters with people in the aisles. Or when trying to find out when a certain item is expected to be back in stock. Or staying apart but meeting someone if out for a walk.

I was asked by a woman with mask behind me because she saw toilet papers in my shopping cart. I could not understand her until she pointed my toilet papers. I gave her directions where to find toilet papers. Oddly, HEB used to keep TP in the back corner, but I found a pile of tps in the middle of the corridor near pets food section.

I went to my son's school to pick up low tech assignments in my RAV4. I was not allowed to get out of RAV4. She brought the packet to me. I had to let her know I am deaf and can't read the lips behind her mask. She pulled it down a bit and asked me a question and I answered her. I think it's becoming more common for me now when they have to pull it down or write it down on the paper or text on the phone.

I was asked by a woman with mask behind me because she saw toilet papers in my shopping cart. I could not understand her until she pointed my toilet papers. I gave her directions where to find toilet papers. Oddly, HEB used to keep TP in the back corner, but I found a pile of tps in the middle of the corridor near pets food section.

I went to my son's school to pick up low tech assignments in my RAV4. I was not allowed to get out of RAV4. She brought the packet to me. I had to let her know I am deaf and can't read the lips behind her mask. She pulled it down a bit and asked me a question and I answered her. I think it's becoming more common for me now when they have to pull it down or write it down on the paper or text on the phone.

It looks to me like HEB must be a grocery store. Barbaro, the things you just described or where I am thinking Live Transcribe would help.

I had to go to the post office. I could see the mask wiggling but no idea what she said. Fortunately it was a post-paid package so I just had to hand it to her.
Vice versa! I went to a post office with my mask on and handed a post paid package to a mail clerk! she was hearing and not mask covered!

This is the solution, but accepting masks from strangers doesn't seem wise, either! This is the article on transparent masks for the deaf.

PRI_148516998.jpg

When he faces you, look at his eyes if he looks like talking and simply say "I am sorry, you are saying?"

I am a germ-phobe and have had my own masks for about 15 years. Facial expressions are not a problem as I am the only Deaf person I know, with a few exceptions of a hearing mother with her Deaf baby, and an interpreter with a Deaf/blind man and a Deaf woman who I met one day. I am Deaf living in Finland and now wear my face masks once again when I need to buy food each week. I push my pram (now is a grocery trolley) which is clearly labelled that I am Deaf. I also carry "Deaf card" for emergency if poliisi or ambulanssi wish to speak with me.

deaf_card_dummy.jpg

With exception of need to change emergency contacts, nothing has changed. Poliisi in Finland mostly use sign language when talking with Deaf anyways.

Went to the Doctor the other day...One Nurse had on a "shield" (see through)...other Nurses had on the masks (same as for the doctor), but he wrote down what he needed to say....Anyway, struck up a convo with the Nurse about her "shield"...was really cool!...The shield also covers the eyes...but we deafies that do lip-read?...It's great!...Also, when I arrived for my appt., the door was locked....No one inside until they took your temperature, and if you were not wearing a mask? then they gave you one, along with gloves.

stop wearing masks full stop, go watch any recorded interviews in London Real website , look for YOUR FAMOUS ROBERT KENNEDY < he SPOKE in there!!

After walking in several times without being stoped was told by friend she would tell them I had medical condition, witch I do, I got tag I wear reads . . . I am exempt from wearing a face covering . . . be kind, Keep your distance, thank you for understanding . . . Please remove your face covering so I can understand you

Dauh, we knew that back in February, even lying Foul Che let it slip, the n95 stops 95% from getting to you you ok with 5% ? exit port let's your breath out so your not protecting others, surgical clogs up in 30minutes then becomes a career, encourages you to touch your face with contaminated hands, latex gloves carrier it better than your skin, and cloth mask are like trying to keep mosquitoes out with a chain link fence, not to mention droplets drop so it's all over your feet, but don't be discouraged, of the 1,067 people discovered to be carrying it only 6 were sick from it and non died, and the others were not even treated, I think that there hoping that they might get sick from it, mean while 130 died from flue, and the good news Jesus saves :slap:

Back