Facebook

I'm totally happy having nothing to do with online social networks :roll: I neither subscribe to facebook or twitter, because it is full of trivia mostly. It probably suits deaf because they are isolated, but whether this enhances personal interaction...... or communication, I think that still demands face to face. Then we find it usually fails. As a knowledge of other people, perhaps... and assuming you are good at English and reading and sending text messages. Sadly it fails with sign language still.

I still think 400 million people have it wrong, but don't quote me lol........ It's too well know Facebook is intrusive encourages stalkers, and definitely NOT safe ! I think the twitters just do it to say they have a celeb logged in or something, hardly realising these celebs are just plugging themselves ! Stephen Fry in the UK will talk to anyone... he has 3 people answering for him most of the time... Brilliant self-publicist, but a friend ? I don't think so !
That is true fail sign language. Should be sign language learn improve skills text. because great best things. You are right. I agree you That is not good isolated because reason rough. . I am good English

Thank I can help you sign language. I wish be sign language!

Stalkers are all around, but I don't really stalk my friends page. I haven't pay attention half of their photos either (maybe bits and pieces here and there if their photo show up on my facebook feed) . I just stalk their status update lol. Beside why would you add someone you don't know at all? (I have to admit that I do add people who I semi-know but never met them in real life... I did this A LOT with my old Facebook account)

I'm totally happy having nothing to do with online social networks :roll: I neither subscribe to facebook or twitter, because it is full of trivia mostly. It probably suits deaf because they are isolated, but whether this enhances personal interaction...... or communication,I think that still demands face to face. Then we find it usually fails. As a knowledge of other people, perhaps... and assuming you are good at English and reading and sending text messages. Sadly it fails with sign language still.
Tell that to parents who never would teach their kids ASL from beginning. Why do you think this only affect deaf who is ASL-only? Oral-only deaf are affect by this as well, you know.

Tell that to parents who never would teach their kids ASL from beginning. Why do you think this only affect deaf who is ASL-only? Oral-only deaf are affect by this as well, you know.

Sometimes affect to people asl and oral because, parents reason how you point.

They are people deaf affect ASl only. my opinion.

Sometimes affect to people asl and oral because, parents reason how you point.

They are people deaf affect ASl only. my opinion.

That's true too. I just feel that deaf people who know ASL are able to talk to other deaf people who know ASL face to face while a few oral only is stuck with the "huh, what, eh" conversation with other oral deaf and hearing people.

I'm totally happy having nothing to do with online social networks :roll: I neither subscribe to facebook or twitter, because it is full of trivia mostly. It probably suits deaf because they are isolated, but whether this enhances personal interaction...... or communication, I think that still demands face to face. Then we find it usually fails. As a knowledge of other people, perhaps... and assuming you are good at English and reading and sending text messages. Sadly it fails with sign language still.
I still think 400 million people have it wrong, but don't quote me lol........ It's too well know Facebook is intrusive encourages stalkers, and definitely NOT safe ! I think the twitters just do it to say they have a celeb logged in or something, hardly realising these celebs are just plugging themselves ! Stephen Fry in the UK will talk to anyone... he has 3 people answering for him most of the time... Brilliant self-publicist, but a friend ? I don't think so !

What do you mean by that?

What do you mean by that?

It means Twitter and FB do not do anything much for ASL if the main means of communicating is text. I'm not knocking text I prefer it to sign language in media, as do most, just suggesting the myth these social networks ENHANCE ASL or the face to ace communication is bull, deaf are simply NOT using it that way. The primary communication is NOT sign language. I have a personal view the FB/Twitter users talk gibberish, but !

I think sign/you tube and video response options do better for ASL/BSL. The high standard of English text, and grammar deaf use, also makes inter-action difficult for the sign dependent deaf who prefer ASL grammar. In many respects text has sidelined sign language altogether... FB has not really been used to break down those barriers.

It means Twitter and FB do not do anything much for ASL if the main means of communicating is text. I'm not knocking text I prefer it to sign language in media, as do most, just suggesting the myth these social networks ENHANCE ASL or the face to ace communication is bull, deaf are simply NOT using it that way. The primary communication is NOT sign language. I have a personal view the FB/Twitter users talk gibberish, but !

I think sign/you tube and video response options do better for ASL/BSL. The high standard of English text, and grammar deaf use, also makes inter-action difficult for the sign dependent deaf who prefer ASL grammar. In many respects text has sidelined sign language altogether... FB has not really been used to break down those barriers.

oh, I see.

Plus, I think a lot of deaf are self conscious with their writing as well (look at how many people make a big deal about their writing. When I started a message board, made friend with someone, I met her and all, We got into the subject about writing skills. I'm not sure how it got to that subject, but she did tell me that she notice that I and alot of deaf people she knows seem to write backward (she was referring to the appropriate order of grammar) and asked me why is that. Remember, I did not have any sign language growing up so it isn't ASL style so that's not the blame for her telling me that my writing is not in the right order. She wasn't the first person to say something like that. Everywhere I go, people say that to me if I don't take my time and think about how I should put my visual thoughts in words in an appropriate order.

I love fB...its a major form of communication for me...not everyone texts and lots of my friends are uncomfortable using i711...so its a good way to keep in the know...

writing is only different because order of grammer is usless really to a deaf person...in the hearing world it helps sentences make sense...but in the deaf world, its a lot of unnessary words...takes a lot more time... like the word "the"...the book...well we know we are talking about The book..so we just sign book...

writing is only different because order of grammer is usless really to a deaf person...in the hearing world it helps sentences make sense...but in the deaf world, its a lot of unnessary words...takes a lot more time... like the word "the"...the book...well we know we are talking about The book..so we just sign book...

I think the jury is out regarding what is and isn't necessary. Detail is important. I've never agreed with 'concepts' regarding sign, because that is too broad and explanation. When you are at street level, abbreviations and omissions of single words will happen, but if we are talking about widening the understanding via detail I think sign falls well short, because too many 'short-cuts' happen, we don't need 'the' 'and' etc then we don't need descriptive words etc.... that fault may not be with sign, but the sign USER, but it's there.

I attend a deaf club every week we have meetings and you can spot sign shortcomings immediately then by observing the responses of deaf sign users. As more details flow from a meeting so the comprehension and concentration levels go down, this is seen via deaf starting to ignore what is being said and relying on their more able peers to tell them later, a series of Chinese whispers starts up ! I've been asked what was said 3 days after people there, were supposed to have been told. Mostly because they had 'turned off' and talked to each other about unrelated issues instead.

The other problem is the interpreters were more able signers... and literally 'talking' over the head of many deaf who lacked that skill. Luckily for me, I used palentype !

warned. I am afraid because hacked my Facebook because I notice someone hack my facebook. I notice funny is weird, I am suspect to Facebook. Be careful you avoid, I am afraid, I don't know what is happened quick suddenly cuz reason hack something possible how facebook.

I know this is an old thread, but uhm.

I'd like to add some of you to my Facebook. If you don't mind, shoot me your facebook and Id love to add you! <3

I know this is an old thread, but uhm.

I'd like to add some of you to my Facebook. If you don't mind, shoot me your facebook and Id love to add you! <3

I think I'll have to give that a miss :lol: I'll never use it, I can connect with all the people I want to without using FB, and I have no time to waste on Twitter, the problem is as a means to break isolation, it makes a virtue of it.... while you are texting you aren't signing are you... so sign will suffer first as a major means the deaf use to communicate... There is skype and stuff signers can use their language with, but take up there seems small compared with this FB nonsense. I just cannot be convinced it is an advantage for me. An age think perhaps, too much attention span to do trivia ? I won't be forced by social medias to communicate in any set form. Nothing is safe online and FB is one of the worst for vulnerable.

im on facebook most the time, so add me matthew scott green and so addict to the zyanda texas poker game.

Back