Explaining my question more clearly

toffeekukki

Reaction score
I have had my ear mould now since February.
In February when my aids was only 7days old I totally dismantled my hearing aids both at the same time.
Now here is my issue please 'read what I post carefully'

I use 2 ear moulds. Obviously I know only the left mould can only fit in the left ear and the right mould only in the right ear.
That bit is cleared up.

The ear mould can be dismantled from the Hearing Aid. These attachments are on a plastic tube.
The mould does twist you can turn it a full 360degree's so it can work with which ever mould is attached in which ever Hearing Aid

Does it matter which hearing aid I use, Blue or red there is only one colour dot, that is on the battery compartment. I only realized this After i dismantled both my hearing aids at the same time.
I had only had them 7days. When I did this.

I even thought about checking my profile image
In my picture you can see my aid. But in that image I can not see inside the battery compartment to check the colour to check if I have my moulds on the wrong ear piece

2 days ago I was reading through someone else's posts and it made me realize I could have my hearing aids on the wrong ears.

I tried to find out is it true that Right is Red and Left is Blue
Should I just carry on forget about it as it does not matter?

If any body is still not sure what I am trying to find out don't respond.
I have tried to explain as clearly as I can.

Yes it matters because each hearing aid is programmed for each ears’s loss. That’s why they put the colors on the HAs.
Your previous post made it sound like you were asking if it mattered which earmold went in each ear.
I don’t know about your hearing aids, but mine have always had hooks that can be removed from the HA. I never take the tubing off the hook - I get my Audi change the tubes when they become stiff.

It did sound like you were asking about whether it mattered which earmold went in each ear. Glad that is cleared up.

What I do is a bit different than LoveBlue. First of all I only wear an aid in the right ear as my left one has been completely deaf since the age of 5 (in 1947 or 48) following an infection in that ear after measles. I have worn an aid in the right ear since the 1970's changing brands, models and strength over the years.

To keep the mold clean I have always removed both the mold and tube from the hook which is left on the aid — with the mold still on the tube most of the time. Once in awhile I will take the mold off of the tube to make sure the tube is clear. Both are washed in mild soap and water and blown out with my breath to help them dry faster.

I got tired of having to have an appointment just for changing a stiff tube and asked about getting some to change them myself. I have lost track of just how long I have been doing that but have changed a number of times. I use the old tube for how long to cut a new one.

I just use non-alcohol wet wipes to wipe my ear molds (only have one now since I got my CI last year)

[QUOTE="Jane B., post: 2528336, member: 49176"

To keep the mold clean I have always removed both the mold and tube from the hook which is left on the aid — with the mold still on the tube most of the time. Once in awhile I will take the mold off of the tube to make sure the tube is clear. Both are washed in mild soap and water and blown out with my breath to help them dry faster.
[/QUOTE]

What I do helps to keep the mold and tube from being clogged with wax. I also sometime run a bent out paper clip through to make sure neither is clogged.

I have had my ear mould now since February.
In February when my aids was only 7days old I totally dismantled my hearing aids both at the same time.
Now here is my issue please 'read what I post carefully'

I use 2 ear moulds. Obviously I know only the left mould can only fit in the left ear and the right mould only in the right ear.
That bit is cleared up.

The ear mould can be dismantled from the Hearing Aid. These attachments are on a plastic tube.
The mould does twist you can turn it a full 360degree's so it can work with which ever mould is attached in which ever Hearing Aid

Does it matter which hearing aid I use, Blue or red there is only one colour dot, that is on the battery compartment. I only realized this After i dismantled both my hearing aids at the same time.
I had only had them 7days. When I did this.

I even thought about checking my profile image
In my picture you can see my aid. But in that image I can not see inside the battery compartment to check the colour to check if I have my moulds on the wrong ear piece

2 days ago I was reading through someone else's posts and it made me realize I could have my hearing aids on the wrong ears.

I tried to find out is it true that Right is Red and Left is Blue
Should I just carry on forget about it as it does not matter?

If any body is still not sure what I am trying to find out don't respond.
I have tried to explain as clearly as I can.

Ear molds are my bane. Lol. I went through three replacements in two years so I guess the shape of my own ears change.
Gotta quit laughing and grinning so much, I guess.

Molds drive me crazy..
1. my weight does fluctuate a little so the fit changes with my ear molds (yes you can lose weight in your ears...).
2. Hate that the tubing gets hard as a rock. I haven't ventured into doing it myself $$ so I end up put it off for a LONG time before going to get them replaced.
3. Bent paper clip, straight pin, and one other item I won't mention among other things I have used to clear the tubes of wax- I get a horrible amount of it in my right ear (but not left strangely).

And yep... Red is for right, blue is for left as 99% of the time the hearing aids are calibrated differently to your loss. I wish they'd make it more noticeable than on the inside of the battery door though :P. Blasted teeny tiny hearing aids these days (I do not like 'em).

Another thing that can affect the fit is water. After I wash my hair then put the HAs on, I get more feedback than I normally do. My audi said that getting the ear wet will affect the fit. The fit eventually goes back to what it should be.

Red is right, blue is left. Yes, it matters whether you have the right HA in the right ear, unless you have identical loss in both ears which is highly unlikely. I don't know about your ears, but my left and right ears are different and my left mold will only fit comfortably in my left ear and my right mold will only fit in my right ear. If you are having trouble figuring out which mold goes with which ear I would suggest going back to your audi and let them put which mold goes with which HA.

I frankly didn't know about the color distinction with the HA...incredible, isn't it? However, the second the wrong HA is in, I know it right away because the mold is very different...as is the loss of hearing. My right aid in the left ear is loud as heck - that alone is a really big tip off for me too....

it has taken me another good few days to research an online PDF for my hearing aids.
No easy to find the things we need to know, i have been on quite a long list of webpage to webpage, Going back and forth.
I now have a full User Guide.
https://www.connevans.info/image/connevans/User_Guide_Nathos_S_M_Micro.pdf
Step 5.1
Identifying the hearing aid for the
right and left ear
Color indicator:
right = red
left = blue
I have very similar loss in both ears. so i can not always tell which belongs where. but now i found the PDF i can now see what all buttons do.
I have issues with wax. my moulds get so dirty. i no longer have a cleaning tube to clear the holes, so i have a tooth brush i used to clean my moulds, safer than using a paper clip as other people have suggested on you tube video's.

Last edited:
They gave you hearing aids without giving you the manual? That's crazy.

I remember the day my beaming parents presented the hearing aid to me. It was the size of a boom box, and I was about four years old. It was a miracle I didn't immediately damage it. I dunno how many years I had it, but it was a heavy responsibility for a little boy.

Yes I got a guide on how to clean them, what to do if I find any failure with the aids and a credit card type thing that I send out in the post to get more batteries. But everything was said verbally. I don't even have cleaning pipes for my ear moulds. I have had to buy a hard case for my aids as I was given a fake leather pouch, I would rather protect them in a shock proof case than leave them in a leather pouch. I have balance issues when do not have my aids in my ears. What do you guys get with your hearing aids?

I didnt get anything for any kind of guide for my HAs. Thats a little odd for me. I never got guide book on how to clean it. Weird.

What do I do with my hearing aids?

I use a otterbox 1000 with added foam inside.

I don’t use cleaning pipes for my ear moulds. I just soak my ear moulds in antiseptic liquid over night. In the morning, I dry them and put them back on my HAs.

Back