Explaining Cued Speech - from an expert.

Cloggy

Reaction score
Found an interesting post in another blog.

"Cued Speech: Your Unasked Questions Answered"
written by H.Franklin
Hilary Franklin is a graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill and Teachers College. She has a bachelor’s degree in public policy with an specialization in education and a master’s degree in Teaching American Sign Language as a Foreign Language. She is currently wrapping up her first semester as an adjunct instructor of ASL at Howard Community College.

While this bolg reinforces everything I have said about CS, including its limitations and uses, I would correct the following:

Hilary claims that she is a native cuer, then goes on to say that she learned to cue after having been raised orally prior to learning cues.
Therefore, she is not a native cuer. It is not her first mode of communication. Oral communciation is her first mode of communciation. In addition, she would have needed to acquire her skills prior to age 31/2 to be considered native.And nativity refers to the langauge acquired as L1, not the mode. Therfore, her native langauge is English.

The comments following the blog are very telling. If her Masters was in teaching English as a second language, rather than ASL, it would confer expertise a bit better. The issue behind CS is teaching English to deaf children, not ASL.

Doesn't this belong in the Sign Langage/Oralism forum? It doesn't have anything to do with CI.

Last edited:
Found an interesting post in another blog.

"Cued Speech: Your Unasked Questions Answered"
written by H.Franklin
Hilary Franklin is a graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill and Teachers College. She has a bachelor’s degree in public policy with an specialization in education and a master’s degree in Teaching American Sign Language as a Foreign Language. She is currently wrapping up her first semester as an adjunct instructor of ASL at Howard Community College.

You are again posting stuff on CS disagreeing with what loml claims. Interesting, and, again a great post, Cloggy.

You are again posting stuff on CS disagreeing with what loml claims. Interesting, and, again a great post, Cloggy.

flip - Cloggy is a free thinker. Is it possible for you to find the "stuff" from this blog that disagrees with my claims?

While this bolg reinforces everything I have said about CS, including its limitations and uses, I would correct the following:

Hilary claims that she is a native cuer, then goes on to say that she learned to cue after having been raised orally prior to learning cues.
Therefore, she is not a native cuer. It is not her first mode of communication. Oral communciation is her first mode of communciation. In addition, she would have needed to acquire her skills prior to age 31/2 to be considered native.And nativity refers to the langauge acquired as L1, not the mode. Therfore, her native langauge is English.

The comments following the blog are very telling. If her Masters was in teaching English as a second language, rather than ASL, it would confer expertise a bit better. The issue behind CS is teaching English to deaf children, not ASL.

Doesn't this belong in the Sign Langage/Oralism forum? It doesn't have anything to do with CI.

Isn't it great for each of us to be able to express our opinions!

flip - Cloggy is a free thinker. Is it possible for you to find the "stuff" from this blog that disagrees with my claims?

loml,

In a previous thread I mentioned that I remembered Hilary Franklin as a then college student she was bright and articulate and helpful to other posters. It is nice to see that she remains so and has chosen a profession where she continues to help others.
Rick

loml,

In a previous thread I mentioned that I remembered Hilary Franklin as a then college student she was bright and articulate and helpful to other posters. It is nice to see that she remains so and has chosen a profession where she continues to help others.
Rick

Indeed rick48!

loml,

Rick

Helping by whose assessment? Have you read the responses to the blog?

ASL with Cued speech? :confused: It did not even look like ASL when I learned Cued speech, It's only alphabet signs.

Helping by whose assessment? Have you read the responses to the blog?

Yes I did and only you with your nasty and bitter outlook and employing your trademark skewed logic that views anything that is not exactly what you chose for your son in the most negative light possible would make the statement you have above. Sorry but thankfully I do not subscribe to your warped view of the world.

And now for the All Deaf disclaimer: the above constitutes my opinion and in furtherance of a discussion on the topic therefore this post should not be misconstured as an aggressive attack upon any poster to this forum.

It is nice to see young women such as Hilary doing positive things for people in the deaf community, no wait, it doesn't matter what community for they are doing positive things for people in general.

Here you go mods. Doing as requested and not responding to the obvious attack, but reporting as requested.

It does makes some sense to say that you can never be a native Cuer not because of age just because it is not a language. CS is just a mode of communication. Her first language was English and CS was her first visual mode of English making it native to her viewpoint but she could have said fluent in CS.

It does makes some sense to say that you can never be a native Cuer not because of age just because it is not a language. CS is just a mode of communication. Her first language was English and CS was her first visual mode of English making it native to her viewpoint but she could have said fluent in CS.

Exactly, Nativity and fluency are in reference to a langauge, and CS is not a lanaguage. And fluency does not imply that the fluent user of a language uses that language in the same way that one who has acquired that language natively, either. Nativity in any langauge begins at birth or shortly there after.

I got the feeling, that if reply this question as you want, this will turn into another confusing dicussion. I will instead take your words that you agree totally with this article, and use this article to understand your standpoint, ok?

I got the feeling, that if reply this question as you want, this will turn into another confusing dicussion. I will instead take your words that you agree totally with this article, and use this article to understand your standpoint, ok?

Agreed. Leave it to say that the blog identifies many points that are in oppostion to the claims of numerous posts by loml. No need to get back on that merry-go-round.

Agreed. Leave it to say that the blog identifies many points that are in oppostion to the claims of numerous posts by loml. No need to get back on that merry-go-round.

Yes, I can't see how it can help to enage in more futile questions. Simple clarifications is easier for everyone to relate to, in my opnion.

flip
Is it possible for you to find the "stuff" from this blog that disagrees with my claims?[

flip - I ask this simply because it is you have made the statement on more than one occassion. I was simply looking for clarification of your claim. Untimately you will believe what it is you choose to.

flip

flip - I ask this simply because it is you have made the statement on more than one occassion. I was simply looking for clarification of your claim. Untimately you will believe what it is you choose to.

You are right I have made this statement earlier once when Cloggy posted another article on Cued Speech that disagree with your viewpoints. You responded to that in a manner that confirmed the message in the post and your not was the same.

This is why it does not make sense at all when you write "I ask simply because it is you have made the statement on more than one occassion". It's like saying "I eat now because my car is red". This got futile faster than I expected.

I find it hard to clarify topics to persons that themselves have a hard time to clarify their own standpoints. That's why I asked you to confirm that you agree totally with the content in Cloggy's post to make this simple as possible. But you have refused to do so, and instead keep on asking me the same question. Interesting. It clarifies enough to me.

Yes I did and only you with your nasty and bitter outlook and employing your trademark skewed logic that views anything that is not exactly what you chose for your son in the most negative light possible would make the statement you have above. Sorry but thankfully I do not subscribe to your warped view of the world.

And now for the All Deaf disclaimer: the above constitutes my opinion and in furtherance of a discussion on the topic therefore this post should not be misconstured as an aggressive attack upon any poster to this forum.

It is nice to see young women such as Hilary doing positive things for people in the deaf community, no wait, it doesn't matter what community for they are doing positive things for people in general.
:gpost::gpost:

Back