Experiences with IEP's and IFSP's...

BTW new parents if you wonder why there are still Deaf schools, and deaf programs, its' b/c parents are SO fucking burnt out about trying to get proper accomondations from CLUELESS hearing schools.

On the contrary, it's because of activist parents (and the school's administrators and teachers and supporters at the state and federal levels) who fight to maintain an academic environment for those deaf kids whose local schools don't have the resources and expertise to serve them.

Stop talking about Deaf schools as if they are something that 'burnt out' parents carelessly toss their children into. Someone's ear itches and you tell them to get themselves to a Deaf school, and yet you use the most painfully insulting terms to describe those who attend these amazing schools, and you continuously degrade them in countless ways with such comments as this one. With "friends" of Deaf schools like you, we have a one man anti-recruiting agent powering away on the forums.

There are several drawbacks to driving an hour or two from home to a far away school. A few specific to developing relationships:
  • long hours spent alone on a bus or van instead of socializing while walking or riding a school bus with classmates
  • long wait for parents to get you when sick so far from home
  • no/limited after-school activities
  • no/limited play with classmates after school / weekends
  • your bus gets you home too late for local after school activities
  • you are a stranger to kids in your home town
  • no shared school experiences to discuss with local kids and no home experiences to share with classmates

Those are some very good points, Grendel...

I took a statistic class as a Junior in college. I remember that other HOH student and I had to sit in back of classroom with interpreter.

That student was rather vocal and complained. Complained until we were able to sit in front of classroom with interpreter. I did nothing. She did all the talking. We were able to move up to front with interpreter.

When class was done, that student complained to me. What were you doing? Why did you not say anything? Why the silence??

I took a statistic class as a Junior in college. I remember that other HOH student and I had to sit in back of classroom with interpreter.

That student was rather vocal and complained. Complained until we were able to sit in front of classroom with interpreter. I did nothing. She did all the talking. We were able to move up to front with interpreter.

When class was done, that student complained to me. What were you doing? Why did you not say anything? Why the silence??

One of the most fundamental accommodations is preferential seating, so I understand the student's frustration. It sounds like the student wasn't complaining as much, but more advocating for her (?) needs, as well as yours. It sounds like she was wondering why you didn't tell the teacher you needed to be up front.

You were a junior in college though, so maybe you felt that the seating arrangement was okay. Did you feel it was a good place to be? Could you easily reference the terp and the teacher at the same time?

One of the most fundamental accommodations is preferential seating, so I understand the student's frustration. It sounds like the student wasn't complaining as much, but more advocating for her (?) needs, as well as yours. It sounds like she was wondering why you didn't tell the teacher you needed to be up front.

You were a junior in college though, so maybe you felt that the seating arrangement was okay. Did you feel it was a good place to be? Could you easily reference the terp and the teacher at the same time?

I did not really need front row seatings. That student really wanted it. I had no problem sitting in back, but since that student campaigned for front row seating, I got it. If it was me, I would have been ok with sitting in back with interpreter.

Different people have different ideas. Front row seating is nice, but I was able to function in back.

I did not really need front row seatings. That student really wanted it. I had no problem sitting in back, but since that student campaigned for front row seating, I got it. If it was me, I would have been ok with sitting in back with interpreter.

Different people have different ideas. Front row seating is nice, but I was able to function in back.

are you shy? is that why you prefer to sit in the back where nobody is looking at you? :aw:

I guess I wasn't just vocal enough back then.

Are you saying that you would have found it to be beneficial sitting in the front of the classroom? As you've gotten older, have you become a more outspoken advocate for yourself?

I know I was always required to sit in the front/center seat in all classes from 2nd grade through high school. All my schools seated you in alphabetical order and I was always the odd one out. I was an "M" in the middle of the "G"'s.

Are you saying that you would have found it to be beneficial sitting in the front of the classroom? As you've gotten older, have you become a more outspoken advocate for yourself?

It would probably helped, but I think I was ok in back. Then again, I wasn't the most smart student on the block.

I've probably became more of an outspoken advocate now that I'm really on my own.

Back