Ex-'Top Chef' contestant beaten in Sea Cliff

RedheadGrrl

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ex-'Top Chef' contestant beaten in Sea Cliff

A former "Top Chef" contestant from Brooklyn was beaten in an anti-gay attack outside a Sea Cliff bar, and her lawyer said yesterday that she is disappointed in the police response to the crime.

Josie Smith-Malave, who was featured on Season 2 of the Bravo channel show, was one of three women asked to leave Partners, a Sea Cliff bar, the night of Sept. 1 after two of the women danced together, their lawyer, Yetta Kurland, of Manhattan, said yesterday.

Kurland said her clients told her that about 10 or 12 young people from the bar, some of whom appeared underage, followed the women out and began screaming anti-gay epithets, throwing debris and spitting at them, then beating them.

Nassau County police said they were investigating but said they would not provide additional information because it might impede their investigation and ability to make arrests.

The women, who had been on Long Island to attend a friend's birthday party, suffered bruises, and one received injuries to her head. A video camera was taken from one of them during the attack, Kurland said.

When police arrived, several of the attackers were still present, Kurland said, but none were arrested. She said one of the attackers returned to the bar with the stolen video camera the next day, but still no arrest was made.

"We're disappointed with the initial response. I've been given assurances that they are going to treat this as a bias crime," Kurland said.

Smith-Malave, who is in her early 30s, is a Miami native. She is a former sous-chef for Marlow and Sons restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. She also played for the New York Sharks of the Independent Women's Football League.

Sighs... Not another hate crime. :(

These people who attacked her are gays too! These people need to stop picking on gays and come out! STUPID PEOPLE! :pissed:

These cops aren't doing their jobs! They should get fired for wasted ours taxes money by unable to do their jobs right!

I know. I was pissed when I read it. It was only half an hr away from my hometown.

Yeah in my "It is awful" thread...

No hate crime charges in torture case.

Update!!!

Homeless man arrested in Long Island beating of 'Top Chef' star

Homeless man arrested in Long Island beating of 'Top Chef' star

SEA CLIFF, N.Y. - A homeless man has been arrested for taking part in an anti-gay gang attack on a former "Top Chef" reality show contestant and her friends outside a bar, police said.

Matthew W. Walli was in a group of about 12 people involved in a confrontation with chef Josie Smith-Malave, who is openly gay, and three other women who had just been thrown out of the bar over Labor Day weekend, Nassau County police said Thursday.

Walli's group made derogatory statements about the women's perceived sexual orientations, spat on them and hit them, police said. Walli stole a video camera from one of the women, causing her to fall and hurt her knee, they said.

Smith-Malave, who was featured on Season 2 of the Bravo channel show and had been on Long Island to attend a friend's birthday party, suffered bruises in the attack, her lawyer said. Her sister, who is straight, also was beaten, and another woman hurt her head.

Walli, 20, was arrested Wednesday afternoon. He was charged with robbery as a bias crime, which is punishable by up to 15 years in prison upon conviction, and was to be arraigned Thursday, police said.

He is from Oregon but is homeless in New York and was being held at the county jail, they said. A woman who answered the telephone at the jail Thursday night said that only the sheriff could grant permission to speak to an inmate by phone, but the sheriff was out of his office.

Police, who didn't reveal what led them to Walli, said they were still investigating the attack on the "Top Chef" contestant.

Smith-Malave, a 32-year-old Miami native, is a former sous-chef for the Marlow and Sons restaurant in Brooklyn. She has played for the New York Sharks of the Independent Women's Football League.

Thanks to news media, cops got panic and did their job because more people will get angry.

Yes I agree with you both. I was relieved but theres more need to be arrest..

Back