Even Cat wears CI!

purplecatty

Reaction score
I came across website about Cat wearing CI, It's a serious stuff. They experimented Deaf cat with CI and it does responds when called and show behavior when it hears. It wears CI processor 8 hrs a day. The coil is on top of its head.

Here's the link

Ryugo Lab - Auditory Anatomy & Physiology

My daughter's brown tabby is deaf due to exposure to my daughter's blaring music in car when she took her cat for a ride every now and then. It can't hear when being called and when it's sleeping, any noises won't wake her up unless you touched the cat.

Catty

Attachments

• Cat CI.jpg
    Cat CI.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I find it ad they would do this to a creature who can't say how it feels... if it is too loud, or if it even likes it... where is Peta when you need them?

I find it ad they would do this to a creature who can't say how it feels... if it is too loud, or if it even likes it... where is Peta when you need them?

I understand your point here.
This cat is being taken care of by lovely, sweet family. It is being sheltered and fed. I don't think we fully understand if they're okay with it or not but you and your love is all it needs!

It is hard to understand what can be gained from a deaf cat being Implanted which can be useful for humans?

The cat looks thrilled, huh?

Not.

Say, what? This has to be the strangest thing I've ever heard of, ha.

They're not interested in benefiting the cat. It's an experiment to measure the effect of CI on developing neuroanatomy and they're doing it on cats rather than people because the laws governing experiments on animals are less restrictive than those governing experiments on humans. (I'm studying neuroscience...this looks pretty typical of an experiment in our field.) What the article did not say was that the cats were sacrificed and their brains examined under a microscope. Which they almost definitely were, being as that's how these experiments usually are conducted and the article included pictures of their brain tissue taken under a microscope. Neuroscience research sucks sometimes.

I got into a heated debate on testing human medicines on animals. Wonder how this would go over...

I remember this pic...a former ADer had that in his avatar. He was very very anti CI so he used that picture to rant against CIs. For me, experimenting on animals is a sticky topic. I don't like it but at the same time, that's how many cures for diseases were found.

The only objection I have is that deafness is not a disease and why a cat?

I remember this pic...a former ADer had that in his avatar. He was very very anti CI so he used that picture to rant against CIs. For me, experimenting on animals is a sticky topic. I don't like it but at the same time, that's how many cures for diseases were found.

The only objection I have is that deafness is not a disease and why a cat?

I agree, about the sticky topic, for the most part I'm not opposed to it, I guess it would depend on the case. I actually don't have a problem with them killing the cats to study them either. It would be silly of me to get all het up about it, I had a steak and cheese sub for lunch, I don't think they waited until the cow died of natural causes.

Also, my deafness is a disease, otosclerosis and cochlear otosclerosis....just saying.

I agree, about the sticky topic, for the most part I'm not opposed to it, I guess it would depend on the case. I actually don't have a problem with them killing the cats to study them either. It would be silly of me to get all het up about it, I had a steak and cheese sub for lunch, I don't think they waited until the cow died of natural causes.

Also, my deafness is a disease, otosclerosis and cochlear otosclerosis....just saying.

I dont see deafness as a medical condition.

Do you know that cats have brains like humans and that this why this poor cat was used as a lab rat! Cats are given concussions by smashing their skulls in then studies are done on the poor cats. This is why I do NOT give any money to any kind of research , I am against animals abuse of all kind!

I feel horrible for this poor cat!

How do the manage to prevent the cat from pawing the CI off?
I could never keep anything on any of my pets, except harnesses.

If DEAFness isn't a medical condition-was it?
It sure seems that way to me- since becoming bilateral DEAF December 20, 2006 I don't perceive it to be in my imagination.

If DEAFness isn't a medical condition-was it?
It sure seems that way to me- since becoming bilateral DEAF December 20, 2006 I don't perceive it to be in my imagination.

It is the RESULT of a medical condition.

Back