Europe-wide food color ban call

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Europe-wide food colour ban call

A food safety watchdog has called for a Europe-wide ban on six artificial food colourings after research found a link with hyperactivity in children.

A total ban on the use of the colours would have to be agreed by the EU.

So the Foods Standard Agency wants UK ministers to push for voluntary removal of the colours by next year.

In September 2007, a UK study reported children behaved impulsively and lost concentration after consuming a drink containing additives.

Which colourings?
Sunset yellow (E110) - Colouring found in squashes
Carmoisine (E122) - Red colouring in jellies
Tartrazine (E102) - New colouring in lollies, fizzy drinks
Ponceau 4R (E124) - Red colouring
Quinoline yellow (E104) - Food colouring
Allura red AC (E129) - Orange/red food dye

In the study, 300 children were randomly given one of three drinks, either a potent mix of colourings and additives, a drink that roughly matched the average daily additive intake of a child of their age or a "placebo" drink with no additives.

Their hyperactivity levels were measured before and afterwards, and researchers found that the drink with the highest level of additives had a "significantly adverse" effect compared with the placebo drink.

Hyperactivity

The six colourings concerned are found in many products such as sweets, confectionery, processed food and takeaways.

In light of the research, the FSA advised parents of hyperactive children to be aware of the potential risks of consuming the colourings.

But campaigners said more should be done.

At a board meeting on Thursday, FSA chair Dame Deirdre Hutton said: "The evidence we have suggests it would be sensible for these [colourings] to be taken out of food.

We are surprised the FSA board feels it is an appropriate use of their powers to call for a voluntary ban

Julian Hunt, Food and Drink Federation

"We would like to see the use of colours phased out over a period. That does require mandatory action by the EU."

FSA board members explained that as EU legislation would take many years to come into force they wanted to see a voluntary "phasing out" of the colours as soon as possible.

The European Food Safety Agency said in March that effects of the food colourings on children's behaviour were small and the significance for children's development and education uncertain.

But the FSA added that as there were no nutritional benefits from the additives, there would be no cost or risk to the child in removing them from the diet.

Julian Hunt of industry body the Food and Drink Federation said: "UK food and drink manufacturers are already taking these colours out of products on supermarket shelves, so we are surprised the FSA board feels it is an appropriate use of their powers to call for a voluntary ban."

He said there was "a handful" of products, including mushy peas and battenburg cake, where it had not been possible to remove the colourings and the industry was concerned they would have to be taken off shop shelves.

Mr Hunt warned that a UK ban would be at odds with the rest of Europe, as it would not apply to European imports.

A spokesperson for the Department of Health said they would be asking the FSA to continue to work with industry to voluntarily remove the additives, particularly from children's foods.

"If parents are concerned about any additives they should remember that, by law, food additives must be listed on the label so they can make the choice to avoid the product if they want to."

Anna Glayzer, campaign co-ordinator at Action on Additives, said: "We are delighted that the FSA has put its duty to the consumer first in their decision to recommend an EU ban.

She added: "We will be keeping a close eye on industry to see what effect the voluntary ban has."

BBC NEWS | Health | Europe-wide food colour ban call

I never thought that the food coloring would be addictive..
Artificial food coloring is an additive, not addictive. That means, it's something that's added to the food or drink; it's not naturally occurring in the product.

i noticed that my nephew would eat cereal that have food colorings in it and he would get hyperactive afterwards? drinking and jump all over the place. Dang! I agree the food colorings should be taken out to reduce the hyperactive in kids. It can cause them not to concencreate better in school or home.

i noticed that my nephew would eat cereal that have food colorings in it and he would get hyperactive afterwards? drinking and jump all over the place. Dang! I agree the food colorings should be taken out to reduce the hyperactive in kids. It can cause them not to concencreate better in school or home.
Perhaps, the cereal had more sugar than normal... not the food coloring?

Hmm... I find this article hard to believe.

I know that there are effects of color in psychology. People respond differently when they see different colors.

For instance, Japanese dye some of their rice in sushi in blue to reduce the appetite of their customers or serve food on blue plates.

Another example would be... one high school would paint the visiting team locker room walls in pink. This resulted in visiting team players feeling more relaxed and lazy when it came to playing games. Now, a lot of visiting team locker rooms are painted in neutral colors.

Perhaps, the cereal had more sugar than normal... not the food coloring?

one example is Froot loops, fruity pebbles, and others. it have additives in it.

so many do have it which sucks.

Agreed. I have never understood why it is necessary to add colors to food anyway. And many people, particularly chidlren, have allergic reactions to additives such as food colorings.

Hmm... I find this article hard to believe.

I know that there are effects of color in psychology. People respond differently when they see different colors.

For instance, Japanese dye some of their rice in sushi in blue to reduce the appetite of their customers or serve food on blue plates.

Another example would be... one high school would paint the visiting team locker room walls in pink. This resulted in visiting team players feeling more relaxed and lazy when it came to playing games. Now, a lot of visiting team locker rooms are painted in neutral colors.

Exactly. And it is the psychology behind it that makes companies dye their foods...particularly things like cereals directed at kids. Look at Fruit Loops, Fruity Pebbles, etc. They are dyed bright colors because children are attracted to bright colors, and therefore will demand these items from their parents. Its a sales technique, and a sneaky one at that.

Artificial food coloring is an additive, not addictive. That means, it's something that's added to the food or drink; it's not naturally occurring in the product.

Ohh gotcha, thank you for explaination :)

yeah my girlfriend's dr told her not to give anything red for her kid you has AAD (is that the right?? ) or ADD like ketchup and so on... ekkk

Agreed. I have never understood why it is necessary to add colors to food anyway. And many people, particularly chidlren, have allergic reactions to additives such as food colorings.

would you think not just the colouring but the sugar content in these cereals will make they hyper as well.. just a thought

I use to LOVE fruit loops, still do once awhile when I want to feel like a kid again.. smile

I guess not all kids have any reactions, it's just a marketing promoting it... I guess it's our responsibility to know what not to eat or what to eat ....

even hawaiian punch have food coloring to it. even kool- aid too.. so many that have food colorings to it. we need to take them out so kids wouldnt be hyperactive like my nephew does jump all over the places. also sodas too.

I once read that Corn Flakes are the worst for children with ADD.

would you think not just the colouring but the sugar content in these cereals will make they hyper as well.. just a thought

I use to LOVE fruit loops, still do once awhile when I want to feel like a kid again.. smile

Oh, yes...I thinkt he sugar contributes to the problems, as well.

I will admit to having a bowl of Fruit Loops every now and then myself...I just feel guilty afterwards!:giggle:

I guess not all kids have any reactions, it's just a marketing promoting it... I guess it's our responsibility to know what not to eat or what to eat ....

Correct, it is a marketing tool. I just wonder how ethical it is to use a marketing tool that is known to cause significant problems in a population like children.

Back