Etiquette Question about Hearing Aids

Grayma

Reaction score
If a deaf person's hearing aids are ringing or whistling loudly and the person does not seem to know, should you tell them, or is that rude?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I've never found it rude - provided it was mentioned kindly - for example "I think your hearing aid might be whistling".

If a deaf person's hearing aids are ringing or whistling loudly and the person does not seem to know, should you tell them, or is that rude?

Personally, I like to be told because usually it means the mold just needs to be put in tighter. I don't like to annoy people with the aid because I think that is rude if it is something that can be helped.

Usually, if someone gives me a hug they get a blast in their ear from freed back. I've had a few women comment on it.

Okay, thanks. That's what I thought, but I did not want to assume.

I never need to be told because I am particularly suseptical/sensitive to high pitch sounds. What feedback I do get is nipped in the bud almost instantly! :lol:

Almost everyone I know would want to be told that their aid is squealing. I usually thank people that let me know. I've only encountered a handful of deaf people that told others to f*ck off when they informed them of their squealing aids. (they took offense)

I would rather be told than not. Of course it's nice if the person can be somewhat discreet about it. If my aid is whistling when my husband and I are out with friends, he knows to get my attention and make a little motion by his ear to clue me in.

I would rather be told than not. Of course it's nice if the person can be somewhat discreet about it. If my aid is whistling when my husband and I are out with friends, he knows to get my attention and make a little motion by his ear to clue me in.

So I take it you cannot hear the squealing?

I would want someone to tell me.

Not that it really matters to me since I already can hear my own hearing aid whistle. :)

So I take it you cannot hear the squealing?

Generally no. I can hear it when I first put them in, in the morning, as I twist them into place. But later in the day if one mold works a bit loose and has a very faint whistle or feedback, that I can't hear. Or sometimes I hear it vaguely, but don't realize it's me making that noise.

I can hear most of my squeals, but there are times where if my nose is stuffed up or have middle ear infection- I just cannot hear that squeal.
Any squeals that others can hear just embarasses me. If it a one time thing- then its ok. but if it happens alot, I know I am duee for new ear mold and that always hurts. they are not cheap and you cant exactly drop in anytime to get a new one.

I don't think it's rude at all and I'd rather know than bother other people.

I'm very sensitive about it and the feedback I get from hugs makes me cringe. If I weren't so short, I wouldn't end up with my ear pressed to other peoples chests.

Come to think about it, maybe my shyness about feedback is actually a height complex... lol

I'm very sensitive about it and the feedback I get from hugs makes me cringe. If I weren't so short, I wouldn't end up with my ear pressed to other peoples chests.

Yep...I've been getting those hug-induced squeals for 36 years...until I got my CI's, they don't make a single sound other than hitting the floor...:eek3:

I am sure most of us CI wearers have had to catch our falling CI's after a few hugs.

I like it too! Also, hugging people your own height just means that it whistles right into their ear. Chest is better. :-P

Back