Envoy Esteem middle ear implant

Okay.

I broke the exclamation key. It's jammed. Will have to call a computer repairer

:cheers:

You got any problem with the delete or backspace key? Use the edit function to, ya know, maybe take them off?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Cyborg said:
I'm coming back to my common sense now. I can't believe I did that. I worked at a factory for 80 hours in a row (3 1/2 days) with sleep deprivation making billions and billions of products. It never stops. Those products.

I should stay offline in-between work days when I'm making billions of products in a matter of days (enough to make anybody go insane)

Plus, they spray chemicals there. I got woozy at one point and thought that I was a 50-feet giant ---ten times bigger than a forklift.

Umm that's illegal and against all types of laws ... I seriously doubt that you worked 80hours - or even 24 hours straight (the employer would get serious fines etc for both overworking employees as well as numerous health and safe violations)

Last edited:
I made a typo.

I just figured out that 3 1/2 days is 42 hours, not 80.

My fault.

24 hours times 3 1/2 days= 84 (I rounded it to 80)

12 hour-shift times 3 1/2 days= 42 hours.... that's the accurate answer

Hi everyone!

I'm in the Envoy Esteem clinical study, and I will be implanted on June 18th.

By the way, for those of you who have/are interested in cochlear implants...Envoy is set to begin studies on a fully implantable cochlear implant with NO outer components! I've heard this study will begin sometime in 2009. It's amazing how much technology has been advancing over the years!

I'm calling the Envoy company on the phone today.

What they say on the phone, I'll post here.

I'm calling the Envoy company on the phone today.

What they say on the phone, I'll post here.

*pounds head against wall* WHY are you so obessed with a totally implatnable CI? It does not have ANY effect on functional performance. And you know,even if they do come out with a totally implantable CI, its only going to be covered by cadillic insurances. Prolly won't be covered by insurances or universal health care b/c it's just a cosmetnic thing! Deal with it.....a CI is visable. So is a hearing aid.
The Esteem/Soundbridge has been around for awhile.....its just that there's all this hype, so you think its new.

I was quite into the totally implantable hearing aid thing for a while because I felt it might give improved actual function (since they do a fundamentally different thing by wobbling your bones and in my case bypass around half my hearing loss) and also because they are waterproof. Now that waterproof hearing aids and CIs are coming out I've lost interest.

The Esteem/Soundbridge has been around for awhile.....its just that there's all this hype, so you think its new.

The Esteem has been on the market for less than 2 years, and it is fundamentally different from the Vibrant Soundbridge in that it doesn't have a microphone. It is a pretty revolutionary product, and if they can lower the cost it may be the most common / effective way to treat severe hearing loss in the future.

The Esteem has been on the market for less than 2 years, and it is fundamentally different from the Vibrant Soundbridge in that it doesn't have a microphone. It is a pretty revolutionary product, and if they can lower the cost it may be the most common / effective way to treat severe hearing loss in the future.

:ty:

I was going to get to that part but you got it right. The Esteem is indeed a revolutionary product. No microphone at all with this device. In fact, it's incorrect to call it a hearing aid because this one here has no microphone. I'ts an implantable hearing device.

:ty:

I was going to get to that part but you got it right. The Esteem is indeed a revolutionary product. No microphone at all with this device. In fact, it's incorrect to call it a hearing aid because this one here has no microphone. I'ts an implantable hearing device.

WOW.

It's cool to talk about stem cells curing hearing loss. But, what about a Totally Implantable cochlear implant with laser 240 electrodes?

Check out this crazy article...

Air travel

The speech processor must be switched off
during take off and landing while the plane
has the ‘Fasten Seatbelts’ sign illuminated.
This is because it emits a signal which can
cause temporary interference with the
pilot’s equipment. :laugh2:

Thunderstorms

All metal objects should be removed if
out in a thunderstorm therefore if a
cochlear implant user is outside during
a thunderstorm they should remove the
external parts of the implant system
because it contains metal parts.:shock:

Vigorous sports (e.g. football, netball,
hockey and squash)

It may be advisable to remove the external
parts of the system. If there is some risk of
blows to the head the external parts should
be removed

Gymnastics

Gymnastics should be undertaken with
caution. A scrum cap will provide some
protection. Once again the external parts of
the implant system should be removed.

Swimming, shallow diving,
snorkelling, scuba diving and most
water sports

Most water sports should cause no
problems as long as the external parts of the
implant system are removed.

Activity park rides, bungee jumps,
artificial ski slopes, etc

It is not known if there are any extra risks
for cochlear implant users associated with
these activities, but they are certainly not
advisable in the first 6 weeks after surgery.
If cochlear implant users do decide to
undertake them, they should remove the
external equipment to prevent it from flying
off.

Treadmills in gyms

Check that the equipment is properly
earthed or you may receive a static electric
shock (see following section). It is
advisable to remove the external
equipment.

Plastic gym mats

The external equipment should be removed
to protect it and avoid damage from static
electricity

Sun beds

Using sun beds cannot damage the internal
components of your implant, but the
external equipment should be removed to
protect it from perspiration.

Damage to external equipment.

Remember at all times to keep all the
cochlear implant equipment dry and free of
sand and dust.

Gamma cameras

External equipment must be removed.

Welding

Arc and MIG welding do not pose a threat
to the implant but the user may hear
interference. Ideally the external parts
should be removed to protect them from
sparks, but the user needs to weigh up the
relative risk of not being able to hear.

Car repairs

If working on a running car engine, normal
safety procedures should be followed and
the external equipment should be removed.

Children’s play equipment and toys

The speech processor and headset
should be removed (not just switched
off) before playing on any plastic
equipment eg plastic slides, crawl
tunnels, ball pools, bouncy castles.
• Implant users should not play with
static generating toys eg plasma balls,
plasma plate.

RECOMMENDED GUIDELINES ON SAFETY

FOR COCHLEAR IMPLANT USERS

Seriously, man, find another place to rant about cochlear implants. This thread is about the Esteem middle-ear hearing implant.

Seriously, man, find another place to rant about cochlear implants. This thread is about the Esteem middle-ear hearing implant.

Fine!

Here's a link about the Envoy

churman

EDIT: I apologize for hollering. I'm getting ASL videotapes from the library- and starting to get involved with ASL in community colleges. I give up on the totally implantable cochlear implant 100 % - pursuing that technology drives me mad/ranting

Good Luck, AllDeaf.com

Last edited:
Back