English Sign Language?

Speedy Hawk

Reaction score
I just noticed that under sub-form "Sign Language & Oralism" say "English Sign Language". As far I know there isn't one. Where that from? USA or english speaking countries cos defo no English Sign Language in UK.

If I type it up on Google it comes up with British Sign Language.

Just curious.

Yeah, I noticed this too. SL is growing. I think it will be important in the future because ASL isn't the only sign language anymore. Keep in mind the forum descriptions were made in 2003 or earlier.

Some of the other popular ones out there are:
British Sign Language
Deutsche (German) Sign Language
Australian Sign Language
Chinese Sign Language
Japanese Sign Language

etc.. maybe we might make more separate sections if we notice an increase in non-ASL users.

When I ask my friends around here about ESL, they say they think of SEE.

Oops! Sorry. Posted in wrong thread. :)

Last edited:
This has been moved to Forum Suggestions section for the team, for better tracking purposes. If you have input or ideas about this, we'd be glad to see your thoughts.

I agree with VamPyroX - looking at the description of the forum, I do wonder whether it should actually read SEE. It's a bit like the situation here in England where we have BSL (there's no such thing as ESL - English Sign Language) and SSE (Signed Supported English).

Yeah, I noticed this too. SL is growing. I think it will be important in the future because ASL isn't the only sign language anymore. Keep in mind the forum descriptions were made in 2003 or earlier.

Some of the other popular ones out there are:
British Sign Language
Deutsche (German) Sign Language
Australian Sign Language
Chinese Sign Language
Japanese Sign Language

etc.. maybe we might make more separate sections if we notice an increase in non-ASL users.

I like this idea as it can be difficult to find non-ASL stuff. As someone currently learning BSL I'd love to see a sub-section just for BSL users and those interested in BSL.

When I ask my friends around here about ESL, they say they think of SEE.

Here ESL stands for English as a Second Language (sometimes also written as EFL, English as a Foreign Language) but many do assume it is somehow connected to sign language.

I always thought English Sign Language was just another way of saying Signed Exact English (SEE). That's not the case here?

I thought it made sense, since we have American Sign Language, and British Sign Language, both of which are "English-ish" so then logically it would seen that English Sign Language is SEE. I dunno lol

I always thought English Sign Language was just another way of saying Signed Exact English (SEE). That's not the case here?

I thought it made sense, since we have American Sign Language, and British Sign Language, both of which are "English-ish" so then logically it would seen that English Sign Language is SEE. I dunno lol
ESL mean English as Second Language. It's taught to non-English speakers.

ESL can't mean SEE because SEE isn't a language.

Sound good about "English-ish" but I dislike two-hand British fingerspelling. ASL is using in both of USA and Canada except Quebec (LSQ) French speaking.

Back