Employee Rights For Hearing Impaired

Karl Gerber

Reaction score
By way of introduction, I have represented employees since 1993. I am licensed in California, Massachusetts, Texas, and Washington D.C. I have tried and arbitrated numerous cases under various disability acts.

The ADA and state employment laws were enacted to protect what was then referred to merely as, "Deaf." In many cases minimal assistive devices enable a hearing impaired worker to perform a job. Employers have a very difficult time proving it is an undue burden to accomodate a disabled employee who needs an assistive device that costs less than $500-$1,000. With modern technology there are many ways a hearing impaired employee can perform most jobs.

The problem, supervisors are too busy and sometimes disabled employees do not properly voice what it is they need to do their job given their limitations. Co-workers, even today, are a problem. They may claim communication difficulties, slow down of operations, or prefer not to work with a disabled employee who needs assistive devices.

The recent defenses I see employers make for hearing impaired include:

Safety risks to the worker and others. An employer hired a deaf worker to work on a loading dock. Because he could not hear forklifts or large trucks backing up they claimed he was a safety hazard

The need to communicate some how prevents hearing impaired employees from working

Some how it materially slows down the work operation for assistive devices to be used

Because I am dedicated to helping employees with disabilities, and live in a household with disability, I try my best to serve the labor needs of disabled workers.

Please consider these additional resources:

California Government Code Section 12940 is the Fair Employment and Housing Act. It governs disability discrimination in employment

42 U.S.C. 12000 onward is the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)

If you are in Massachusetts they actually have a Disability Office

In Washington D.C. they also have a Disability Office with a website

In Texas, the Texas Workforce Commission may be of assistance with disability claims

If your problems are not employment related, but public accomodation access related I am not a legal expert. However, there are many attorneys in most metropolitan areas who handle public access/ADA lawsuits. Often, the same government agency that handles employment discrimination claims will take claims for public accomodation violations.

A parting word of advice: do not be shy when communicating with your employer about your need for accomodation. The worst thing an employee can do is to be vague, or afraid to tell their employer. Employers will have an easy time saying they are not responsible for what they did not know.

Karl Gerber, Esq.

Great info!

I do fine usually- once I'm hired. It's the application/interview process that kill me every time recently. If I disclose during that process many times they run the other way and never bother to continue our correspondence. Some have even stopped corresponding when they find out about the VRS part (if they call they'll be told it's VRS). I have a difficult time getting any of them to understand that I'd rather have text communications than phone. I have a deaf friend whose hearing has tanked a lot since college..he told me he doesn't use VRS because the interpreter signing is too fast for him (! even though he has signed for over 30 years lol), I haven't figured out how he's managed to get interviews without the use of phones when recruiters always insist on them. Another friend is the same way but for him many times the places he applied to usually are already aware or have deaf related experience or employees already.

DeafDucky
If you can speak clearly for yourself, might a caption app on cell phone help? IF you give out the number assigned by the service it will connect through that automatically when a call comes in. Rather than go into a lot of detail here, this is a link to one of them: http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/smartphone/

DeafDucky
If you can speak clearly for yourself, might a caption app on cell phone help? IF you give out the number assigned by the service it will connect through that automatically when a call comes in. Rather than go into a lot of detail here, this is a link to one of them: http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/smartphone/

Have tried Captel in the past. Was not impressed with it. There was a significant delay between what the person was saying and what was being typed and being read by me. Even with explanations most callers were not very patient or understanding. VRS is a bit faster (as I can hear there and view the interpreter at the same time).

I tried to get InnoCaption but that appears to not be working anymore.

Have tried Captel in the past. Was not impressed with it. There was a significant delay between what the person was saying and what was being typed and being read by me. Even with explanations most callers were not very patient or understanding. VRS is a bit faster (as I can hear there and view the interpreter at the same time).

I tried to get InnoCaption but that appears to not be working anymore.

You might want to try it again as things do change over time. I am not using it for something where the other person on the call might have an extreme patience problem but it is workable for me. I can hear the other person but not understand. Where I find that helpful is to say something right after their greeting even if I have not finished my reading.

I also really liked InnoCaption and it seemed to be quite awhile since any up dates. I did use a function that lets you leave a message on their site. Part of what i got back on March 2 (what is not personal information) is "We are ready to relaunch and urging respectfully FCC to issue an order to launch. Sorry for inconvenience. best regards"

I saw something similar in the Google Play Store regarding InnoCaption.

I will probably put off getting a CaptTel for now anyway because a) I don't have direct access to a cable outlet, I have wireless but right now hooked into my ancient router by a long ethernet cable, b) Hmm not sure how they do the phone numbers now but it used to be that it hooked into the house's phone number and I REALLY don't want to do that again... I still get recruiter calls occasionally on my parents' number-- that number was used 14 years ago for job hunting!
and c) not much room in this "office" of mine for it- I saw a picture of it from a friend of mine who is hard of hearing and does use it (His wife uses VRS) and also saw a demo model at an audiologist a couple of years ago.

For now VRS is okay for me.

I saw something similar in the Google Play Store regarding InnoCaption.

I will probably put off getting a CaptTel for now anyway because a) I don't have direct access to a cable outlet, I have wireless but right now hooked into my ancient router by a long ethernet cable, b) Hmm not sure how they do the phone numbers now but it used to be that it hooked into the house's phone number and I REALLY don't want to do that again... I still get recruiter calls occasionally on my parents' number-- that number was used 14 years ago for job hunting!
and c) not much room in this "office" of mine for it- I saw a picture of it from a friend of mine who is hard of hearing and does use it (His wife uses VRS) and also saw a demo model at an audiologist a couple of years ago.

For now VRS is okay for me.

Did you click the link I posted earlier? It is to the version on a smartphone. If you have a smartphone and plan that you can get voice & data at the same time on, all you need to do is download their app and get a "call me #" number from them if you want incoming calls. Here is the Hamilton page that clicking on the "Click here" takes you to http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/smartphone/what_is_app.html

Back