Emotional Pain VS Physical Pain; Which is worse?

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
I came across to think about this. I wanted to see a discussion about this issue.

While both types of pain can be painful and in time both types of pain will be able to heal. Although, This is what gets me - Some argue that emotional pain is a lot worse than physical pain. Some argue that physical pain can be worse than emotional pain.

Also, while both types of pain can hurt very much at the time they occur, social pain has the unique ability to come back over and over again, whereas physical pain lingers only as an awareness that it was indeed at one time painful.

The thing about the physical pain is - It hurts but then, it also serves you as a reminder. Emotional pain can also be scarring but it also can serve you as a reminder too.

Discuss! :)

Depends what kind of pain it is......

I agree. Some people can handle physical pain better than emotional pain; while others are the opposite. I'm on that handles physical pain alot better than I do emotional pain.

I'll take physical pain over emotional pain any day. You can "slap a bandage" on physical pain but if you're hurting emotionally... that's a whole 'nother kind of problem.

Just my :2c:.

I think emotional pain is worse than physical pain as it is temporary compared with emotional.

it depends on how bad physical pain is and emotional pain in the situation.

its hard to pick one. eh. they both are PAIN!. thats all i can say.

Depends what kind of pain it is......

You're right, It depends on which kind of pain it is.

Let's say, For an argument's sake --

A couple has been together for a while and they break up due to an abusive relationship. The victim is both reeling in emotional and physical pain from being abused. The victim gets scars from it; she ends up being in the hospital due to complications that she received from the abuse. She has the scars that reminds her of the abuse or whatever it is. Now, The thing is, She has both types of pain. How would she be able to overcome both emotional and physical pain in time to heal?

I agree. Some people can handle physical pain better than emotional pain; while others are the opposite. I'm on that handles physical pain alot better than I do emotional pain.

I agree. Some people are better at tolerating either physical or emotional pain. I also think it depends on how bad the pain is being inflicted.

I think emotional pain is worse than physical pain as it is temporary compared with emotional.

thats true but what if talking to someone else or seeing counselor in order to make himself/herself feel better then emotional pain will get less and less. while physical won't heal if it can go heal with medication. :shrug:

You're right, It depends on which kind of pain it is.

Let's say, For an argument's sake --

A couple has been together for a while and they break up due to an abusive relationship. The victim is both reeling in emotional and physical pain from being abused. The victim gets scars from it; she ends up being in the hospital due to complications that she received from the abuse. She has the scars that reminds her of the abuse or whatever it is. Now, The thing is, She has both types of pain. How would she be able to overcome both emotional and physical pain in time to heal?

Then I would suggest setting up an appointment to see the psychologist, Jillio. :lol:

I would rather handle the physical pain then the emotional pains, I think the emotional pains much worst then the physical pain, but my heart is a phsyical pain so I think both hurt denpend on how bad it hurts. :)

Emotional Pain is the worst - hard to recover or in most cases... unrecoverable. Physical pain is easily healed.

I would say emotional pain is worse as it never seems to go away. people who have suffered bad trauma will always remember while physical pain and some scars will disappear

Emotional Pain is the worst - hard to recover or in most cases... unrecoverable. Physical pain is easily healed.

Not if you lose parts of ur body. It can cause both pains permanently. War Veterans are good example of having both pains.

We've got interrogators who have this down to a science. How sad.
When you compare the most excruciating physical pain you've had in your life with the worst emotional pain, the latter wins hands down as worse. You are most likely still hurting to this day from it.

Really good question - I have often pondered on this one as I was severely ill and paralyzed off and on for five years straight, causing my ex husband to leave me with two babies to raise on my own. I could not even move an inch for many months. He could not handle my physical pain therefore left me.

I remember wanting to end my life many times due to unbearable pain. Physical pain does lead to depression so it is hard to seperate both. I was so traumatized by the severe pain that committing suicide seemed the only way to get out of it. It was unfathomable for me for many years but I climbed out of it.

To this day, I would prefer physical pain over emotional pain because I am still reeling from emotional pain from this physical pain which has long healed up for the most part. And physical pain has destroyed my self esteem about my body so I still carry around scars, both emotional and physical, of my horrible crisis.

this is a good question. in my opinion, emotional pain is far worse than physical pain. after all, unless pain is chronic, it has the capacity to heal and improve with time whereas emotional pain can hurt for a lifetime. i know this from personal experience as i suffer from bipolar and serious mood swings (from mania, excitement, high energy levels and restlessness to depression, anger and irritability) as a result. i'm what they call an ultradian rapid cycler where my moods shift on an hourly basis. it's exhausting and 95% of the time, i can't keep up with myself or predict how i'm going to feel from one moment to the next. if i had to choose between physical pain and emotional pain, i'd pick physical pain without hesitation. besides, i tend to handle physical pain much better than i do emotional pain.

Not if you lose parts of ur body. It can cause both pains permanently. War Veterans are good example of having both pains.

believe me - the veterans would rather be a cripple (or lose a limb) than live a lifelong of emotional trauma aka PTSD. My veteran friend does suffer PTSD once in a while. Sometimes when he had a bad night/rough sleep and if he hears a helicopter going by, he would suddenly wake up - panicking and ducking under his bed, sometimes screaming at imaginary radio. Even though he did not sustain any combat injury, he still relived that nightmare of his fubar rescue ops because he saw several of his comrades got shot dead by Taliban. worst of all - he was a medic and he was powerless to help them. all he can do is put the bandaid on wound to stop the bleeding and he knew they will die a painful death because the help ain't coming since the Commander told them that they're on their own till nighttime.

When the veteran looks at his war wound, the emotional trauma would suddenly flood his head that he'd wished he had an amnesia. Look at McCain as well. I have no doubt that he still experiences PTSD couple times a week as in... nightmares of reliving the torture. Handful of soldiers who did not sustain serious combat injury but still experiences PTSD because of the horror that no men should ever see.

You can remove the scar from your skin thru plastic surgery but you cannot remove scar from your memory.

Back