Emotional Pain VS Physical Pain; Which is worse?

Right now, I'm fighting with epididymitis. That is extreme pain, but nothing to consider suicide over.

I think in this thread - the physical pain caused by medical illness is not covered. I think physical pain is more of trauma. For ie - cutting, car accident, fighting, getting shot, etc.

Jolie - am I right?

There's also been a vagus stimulator used for treatment resistent depression as well. Lobotomies are still used in some parts of the world, but I don't think the lobotomy is done here in the US anymore.

yes, i've heard of the vagus stimulator but forgot to mention that. thanks for mentioning it, ocean.

what the heck is vagus stimulator? it's not.... what I think, isn't it?

wow... good discussion question, Jolie!

i must say i agree with most everyone's comments especially jiro's comment re: veterans. in my own experience, i would probably choose physical pain over emotional pain just because i havent really been badly injured in the past.

however, i can see this from another perspective. i have a friend who has chronic back pains that causes really bad nerve damage everywhere in her body. she can't even turn her head without screaming in pain. she had to quit work, and she cant even look after her little girl. umm, i think i'd choose emotional pain in this situation.

i guess it depends on the situation.

missy

Some pain conditions actually do drive people to suicide. It's sad.

it is sad. :( in fact, this is sometimes true for those who have cancer. as you may know, cancer can be extremely painful with symptoms such as vomiting that can make living from day to day miserable.

I can't speak for everyone, just from my own experience this past summer with sciatica and the emotional affects it had on me. I got both worlds with less of emotional pain just feeling like , when am I going to walk again? How much longer does this pain last? Just very questionable about a lot of things. I felt so unattractive with my back going off to an "S" shape it was horrible. Let alone, I wasn't able to walk it left me paralyized like. The excruciating pain it brought to me physically was no picnic. I was in so much pain everyday for three months and I don't wish this on my worse enemy. The pain is tamed now, with help of Iburprofen and chiropractor treatments. My saga is not over yet, I am still being treated by the chiropractor luckily, the Iburprofen is coming off and taking it only when I am in pain. I am soo thankful to God to bring me out of this pit and walking again :)

I am not sure exactly if emotional pain you mean a break up vs. having a broken leg?

That is why I said it would depend on the individual.

I have been in so much physical pain in the past that it consumed my emotions and mental abilities.

That is why I said it would depend on the individual.

I have been in so much physical pain in the past that it consumed my emotions and mental abilities.

Yes, I agree it depends on the individual. From reading some replies it appears the physical pain affects emotional pain. The stress it involves how much longer can I take it. I have a friend with Fibromyalgia (sp?) whose in chronic pain and even caused marital problems.

In my situation God's been really good to me to bringing a complete healing and believing by faith. I also had great support from family and friends.

In my opinion, physical pain affects our emotional stability. I would think bad thoughts of how to rid of the pain and just had to rebuke it and be strong.

Emotionally significant to the physical collapse like nausea in stomach, headache and fatigue. It leads into depression.

Well, if both sides occur to the maximum possible, I would point out that emotional pain can overwhelm the ability to feel the physical pain. I've seen someone in INTENSE emotional distress to a point that external senses i.e. feeling, sight, hearing and all that became numb. That victim, at times, will not realize that he or she was injured until they try to control their emotional state. I would say that emotional pain is worse than physical pain ONLY at their MAXIMUM possibilities.

Emotional Pain is the worst - hard to recover or in most cases... unrecoverable. Physical pain is easily healed.
Not true, not all physical pain is easily healed. Some never, that is when they wanted to die cuz they can not handle physical pain 24/7 for many years even pain killer medicines not working at all.

Actually, they both can be treated. The difference is emotional pain takes longer to overcome. Time and therapy does wonders, but it's not always easy.

I've known people who suffer with both physical and emotional pain. I've also known people who've suffered with both simultaneously. Alot of the people I've talked to feel as I do. Emotional pain is much harder to deal with.

Not to oversimplify it (and I realize this isn't always the case), but with physical pain, you can take a pain reliever and the pain is controlled if not alleviated altogether. With emotional pain, it takes alot more time. Usually, you need to do a lot med tinkering to find the right one or the right dosage, and lets face it, who honestly wants to TALK about some things? If we were honest, there are just some emotional wounds that are just too painful to poke at.

I support what I said earlier in the thread. I would prefer dealing with physical pain over emotional pain; HANDS DOWN!
I would perfer not to deal with both. I do know them cuz my husband deal with both, physical pain caused emotional pain (deep depress for not able to be human and support family, that is man's thinking). It depresses me because now I know they will never go away for my husband. He will live with both of it for rest of his life and my life as his supporter.

Back