Emotional Pain VS Physical Pain; Which is worse?

believe me - the veterans would rather be a cripple (or lose a limb) than live a lifelong of emotional trauma aka PTSD. My veteran friend does suffer PTSD once in a while. Sometimes when he had a bad night/rough sleep and if he hears a helicopter going by, he would suddenly wake up - panicking and ducking under his bed, sometimes screaming at imaginary radio. Even though he did not sustain any combat injury, he still relived that nightmare of his fubar rescue mission because he saw several of his comrades got shot dead by Taliban.

When the veteran looks at his war wound, the emotional trauma would suddenly flood his head that he'd wished he had an amnesia. Look at McCain as well. I have no doubt that he still experiences PTSD couple times a week as in... nightmares of reliving the torture. Handful of soldiers who did not sustain serious combat injury but still experiences PTSD because of the horror that no men should ever see.

You can remove the scar from your skin thru plastic surgery but you cannot remove scar from your memory.

:gpost:

believe me - the veterans would rather be a cripple (or lose a limb) than live a lifelong of emotional trauma aka PTSD. My veteran friend does suffer PTSD once in a while. Sometimes when he had a bad night/rough sleep and if he hears a helicopter going by, he would suddenly wake up - panicking and ducking under his bed, sometimes screaming at imaginary radio. Even though he did not sustain any combat injury, he still relived that nightmare of his fubar rescue mission because he saw several of his comrades got shot dead by Taliban.

When the veteran looks at his war wound, the emotional trauma would suddenly flood his head that he'd wished he had an amnesia. Look at McCain as well. I have no doubt that he still experiences PTSD couple times a week as in... nightmares of reliving the torture. Handful of soldiers who did not sustain serious combat injury but still experiences PTSD because of the horror that no men should ever see.

You can remove the scar from your skin thru plastic surgery but you cannot remove scar from your memory.

You nailed that one, Jiro. :gpost:

btw - I just edit my post just a bit... I added a couple more sentences.

worst of all - he was a combat medic and he was powerless to help them. all he can do is put the bandaid on wound to stop the bleeding and he knew they will die a painful death because the help ain't coming since the Commander told them that they're on their own till nighttime.

Pain or no pain. That's the question.

Because I don't normally feel pain at most times.

High tolerance Pain, they tell me that's what I have. I guess the only pain I feel are from emotions. But then the doctors said that it's all in my head. My head tells me this and my body reacts to it. I totally want to put my emotions under control, but we're too human, we want to feel so much that we would be in so much pain.

I tend to be sensitive so emotional pain tend to hurt a lot more for me. However, that's assuming that I don't get horrific injuries in accidents or suffer from intense chronic pain.

i think emotional pain is much worse that physical pain, physical pain can heal but emotional pain can't heal it stay with you forever.
i still have emotional pains from broken relationship and death of love ones.

Pain or no pain. That's the question.

Because I don't normally feel pain at most times.

High tolerance Pain, they tell me that's what I have. I guess the only pain I feel are from emotions. But then the doctors said that it's all in my head. My head tells me this and my body reacts to it. I totally want to put my emotions under control, but we're too human, we want to feel so much that we would be in so much pain.

it's because you've had some emotional scars in the past that led you to be numb... which is why you're being an AD jester.

I am, right now, experiencing a fibromyalgia attack. It is attacking muscles in my back and hips. For those of you who don't know what it feels like, it's a burning pain in my muscles. This is also causing my muscles to spasm. I also am experiencing aching in my joints. It can vary in intensity. Right now, I would say my pain levels are about a 3-4. I'm about to go take my pain meds because I've been putting up with it for awhile and I'm about done.

Emotional/psychological pain would have to be the worst to bear than physical.

Physically, you heal but emotionally and psychologically you take a while to heal. Individually it varies.

Take my blindness for instance, physically I can adapt. Emotionally and psychologically, I still struggle.

Beautiful thread, Jolie. :hug:

i think both are the same.
I agree. Emotional pain can cause physical pain and problems.

Physical pain can cause emotional problems.

Guess it is how the individual handles the type of pain.

I can't speak for everyone, just from my own experience this past summer with sciatica and the emotional affects it had on me. I got both worlds with less of emotional pain just feeling like , when am I going to walk again? How much longer does this pain last? Just very questionable about a lot of things. I felt so unattractive with my back going off to an "S" shape it was horrible. Let alone, I wasn't able to walk it left me paralyized like. The excruciating pain it brought to me physically was no picnic. I was in so much pain everyday for three months and I don't wish this on my worse enemy. The pain is tamed now, with help of Iburprofen and chiropractor treatments. My saga is not over yet, I am still being treated by the chiropractor luckily, the Iburprofen is coming off and taking it only when I am in pain. I am soo thankful to God to bring me out of this pit and walking again :)

I am not sure exactly if emotional pain you mean a break up vs. having a broken leg?

You're right, It depends on which kind of pain it is.

Let's say, For an argument's sake --

A couple has been together for a while and they break up due to an abusive relationship. The victim is both reeling in emotional and physical pain from being abused. The victim gets scars from it; she ends up being in the hospital due to complications that she received from the abuse. She has the scars that reminds her of the abuse or whatever it is. Now, The thing is, She has both types of pain. How would she be able to overcome both emotional and physical pain in time to heal?

This could lead to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which is an extremely serious emotional condition. I have been diagnosed (by two different psychiatrists) with that because of the example you used above - not exact, but similar. PTSD can easily lead a person to suicide; I have been extremely close four times.... once very recently.

On a different note, I once had major surgery (exploratory) six years ago. When I woke up, I noticed the morphine was not working. I am naturally immune to morphine as well as my father and my daughter. I was in such pain that I was slipping in and out of consciousness for two days.

Despite this pain from the surgery, I say emotional pain in much, much worse.

Physical pain can be treated but emotional pain cannot be.

Actually, they both can be treated. The difference is emotional pain takes longer to overcome. Time and therapy does wonders, but it's not always easy.

I've known people who suffer with both physical and emotional pain. I've also known people who've suffered with both simultaneously. Alot of the people I've talked to feel as I do. Emotional pain is much harder to deal with.

Not to oversimplify it (and I realize this isn't always the case), but with physical pain, you can take a pain reliever and the pain is controlled if not alleviated altogether. With emotional pain, it takes alot more time. Usually, you need to do a lot med tinkering to find the right one or the right dosage, and lets face it, who honestly wants to TALK about some things? If we were honest, there are just some emotional wounds that are just too painful to poke at.

I support what I said earlier in the thread. I would prefer dealing with physical pain over emotional pain; HANDS DOWN!

Actually, they both can be treated. The difference is emotional pain takes longer to overcome. Time and therapy does wonders, but it's not always easy.

I've known people who suffer with both physical and emotional pain. I've also known people who've suffered with both simultaneously. Alot of the people I've talked to feel as I do. Emotional pain is much harder to deal with.

Not to oversimplify it (and I realize this isn't always the case), but with physical pain, you can take a pain reliever and the pain is controlled if not alleviated altogether. With emotional pain, it takes alot more time. Usually, you need to do a lot med tinkering to find the right one or the right dosage, and lets face it, who honestly wants to TALK about some things? If we were honest, there are just some emotional wounds that are just too painful to poke at.

I support what I said earlier in the thread. I would prefer dealing with physical pain over emotional pain; HANDS DOWN!

that's true.

Yes. Emotional pain can be healed by counseling or having lobotomy.

actually, ect therapy (electroconvulsive therapy) now takes the place of lobotomies when someone is severely depressed and/or has treatment-resistent depression or bipolar.

actually, ect therapy (electroconvulsive therapy) now takes the place of lobotomies when someone is severely depressed and/or has treatment-resistent depression or bipolar.

There's also been a vagus stimulator used for treatment resistent depression as well. Lobotomies are still used in some parts of the world, but I don't think the lobotomy is done here in the US anymore.

ocean's post reminds me that i struggle with severe migraines. when i don't have access to my imitrex (which fortunately isn't the case unless i'm at a friend's or relative's house and i forget to bring it with me), i get extremely emotional because i can't deal with the pain. if any of you have had a migraine attack before, you know just how severe and debilitating the pain can be. in addition, i've had severe lower back pain due to sleeping on my back the wrong way. i've also had a repeated sharp, shock-like pain that radiates through my left hand and arm due to carpal tunnel syndrome. it's NOT fun and i'm not a fun person to be around when i'm experiencing these kinds of pain. :(

Back