Emma's rights

Mrs Bucket

Reaction score
Emma is a very sweet and frustrated Deaf child that has been implanted bilaterally. You will see how her emotions range from frustration to rage.

Her father did not agree to the CI procedure in the first place. Her grandmother films her to document the fact that Emma wants one thing; to be Deaf.

[yt]8Zlg-QWV1e4[/yt]

Credit to Judy McLaughlin (Emma's grandmother) and Emma.

I truly appreciate being in touch with Judy and having first hand knowledge of what's going on behind the scene directly fro Judy.

I read some of the comments briefly. I cannot believe the judges have the power to compel parents to keep the implants on the child when the child in question does not want them at all!

I really don't believe the judges ought have this kind of power in regards to CI as CI is not life threatening thing. If a parent wants to prevent kid from getting treatment for cancer then the judge can decide because it's a matter of life or death then that's another story.

Deafness and CI is not life or death. Judges should really take the child's feeling in account as well.

Typical Hearie who now have this judicial power over deaf parents *smh*

The idea is that the judge "knows what is best for the child".

Everybody is steeped in the idea of "doing what is best for the child."

Pretty soon they get so involved try to win their point of view they totally forget that there is a living breathing human child right there. Somehow the child is forgotten and never asked.

How does the hearing judge know what's best for Emma? How can any judge say they know what's best for any child?

From what I have read on other sites the MOTHER has custody of the child. The mother decided to get the child CI's and it was within her rights as the custodial parent. The father clearly is against the child wearing her CI's during her visits with him, so, the judge had to make a decision in this situation.

From what I have read on other sites the MOTHER has custody of the child. The mother decided to get the child CI's and it was within her rights as the custodial parent. The father clearly is against the child wearing her CI's during her visits with him, so, the judge had to make a decision in this situation.

So if Miss Kat screamed and fought you that much every morning, you would still force it on her?

So if Miss Kat screamed and fought you that much every morning, you would still force it on her?

My husband and I had a discussion about this before we went ahead with the surgery. The first thing I would do would be to make sure the settings were correct. If that checked out, I would turn the volume all the way down, and turn it up slowly. A lot of kids have trouble with full stimulation first thing in the morning. If that didn't work, I would take her to the audiologist for remapping. If none of these things were causing the problem, yes, I would continue to insist that she wear the device. She is not at an age in which she can see the long term consequences for her choices.

If a parent believes that a CI is the right choice for their child, they must follow through. I think it is irresponsible for a parent to put their child through surgery and then not do what it takes to have them receive benefit. A parent can't have it both ways. A CI can not worth putting your child through surgery for, but not worth insisting that they wear the device.

My husband and I had a discussion about this before we went ahead with the surgery. The first thing I would do would be to make sure the settings were correct. If that checked out, I would turn the volume all the way down, and turn it up slowly. A lot of kids have trouble with full stimulation first thing in the morning. If that didn't work, I would take her to the audiologist for remapping. If none of these things were causing the problem, yes, I would continue to insist that she wear the device. She is not at an age in which she can see the long term consequences for her choices.

If a parent believes that a CI is the right choice for their child, they must follow through. I think it is irresponsible for a parent to put their child through surgery and then not do what it takes to have them receive benefit. A parent can't have it both ways. A CI can not worth putting your child through surgery for, but not worth insisting that they wear the device.

This is your parental decision and your parental right.

I disagree with your decision as a Deaf person because the long term consequences does have psychological, emotional and social damage. Usually, they are found much later on to the point it causes long term damage; the consequence of a parental decision to keep forcing this upon a child.

A simple act of involving the child in the decision making which the UN has pointed out; the child has this much right in being involved in the decision making process. This is where I believe children's thinking processes should be honoured and respected rather than being denied thinking they don't know their own-selves better than their own parents.

Those children scream, cry, break down and act out because of the artificial object attached to their bodies. It isn't hard to notice how children respond so negatively to this and parents still push this on to the children & resort to blackmailing just to have the artificial object latched onto their bodies.

yes, I would continue to insist that she wear the device. She is not at an age in which she can see the long term consequences for her choices.

You wouldn't even compromise, such as asking her to keep the CI on at school and letting her turn it off at home?

wait til the child becomes a teenager she will rebel against using it.. cuz I know some kids rebelled against it.. so sometimes CI didn't work for some kids so one stopped using it cuz it was not going well for the kid so her mom agreed that it wasn't going well BUT still have metal inside her behind her ear but stopped using CI tho.. cuz there are pros and cons of using CI cuz can hurt the kid profoundly so I am against it sorry to disappoint you but I wud never want to have CI inside me anyway.. :) cuz I'm proud to be deaf..

I notice she does speak if i am not mistaken. Apparently, there is something wrong with the sound that needs to change the volume or something. If she goes back to see the audiologist and change the volume the sounds. If she still dislikes it at all even the sounds adjustment was fine, then she has rights not to use it since she dislikes the sounds for some reasons, without forcing her to. =/ Sometimes I don't feel good with HA and take it off for some times. Its my opinion that All kind of TOOLS makes sounds that are NOT natural to me and gives me some headaches sometimes. my hubby likes CI but he does take CI off sometimes when he doesn't feel like it for some reasons. Im sure that little girl feels the same thing.

how come hearing people doesn't wear the earplug for musics all day or all night? I asked my girl that why didn't she wear the earplug for musics. SHe said she needs a break from it sometimes because she gets headaches or not feel like so. THAT IS THE SAME IDEA as HA and CI.

This is your parental decision and your parental right.

I disagree with your decision as a Deaf person because the long term consequences does have psychological, emotional and social damage. Usually, they are found much later on to the point it causes long term damage; the consequence of a parental decision to keep forcing this upon a child.

A simple act of involving the child in the decision making which the UN has pointed out; the child has this much right in being involved in the decision making process. This is where I believe children's thinking processes should be honoured and respected rather than being denied thinking they don't know their own-selves better than their own parents.

Those children scream, cry, break down and act out because of the artificial object attached to their bodies. It isn't hard to notice how children respond so negatively to this and parents still push this on to the children & resort to blackmailing just to have the artificial object latched onto their bodies.[/QUOTE]

It doesnt matter to these hearing parents with these kinds of views. Their agenda is to make the child as hearing as much as they can. I have seen it happen in real life as well. Sad.

Could the CI be causing sensory integration issues? My kids had SI issues and it was really important to protect them from sensory overload.

How terrible!! :mad2: One day, Emma will be rebellious to her mother eventully.

They should respect Emma's wishes. After all, like her grandmother said in the video, Emma understands totally and does genuinely not want to wear her processors. She seems happy enough using ASL so why stop her from doing that. After all, with and without implants she is still a Deaf child. So the judge should have asked Emma.

They should respect Emma's wishes. After all, like her grandmother said in the video, Emma understands totally and does genuinely not want to wear her processors. She seems happy enough using ASL so why stop her from doing that. After all, with and without implants she is still a Deaf child. So the judge should have asked Emma.

Unfortunately children's opinions are rarely considered, especially in legal situations. :(

That's really what this is about, is that a child's opinion is often considered second or inferior to an adult's opinion, even when it's regarding their own body. It makes sense up to a certain point but when a child demonstrates a certain level of understanding and self-awareness, it's important for the adults around them to start recognizing that.

Back