emission , oxygen senor

HorseRace

Reaction score
i notice a warning light that went on... i was thought it was related with brake thing.. but not.. then i was thought it was related with A/C but not..
then i was thought it was emission.. somehow i went to autoshop and they said it is oxygen senor..

what do you think?
can you tell me what i should do?
should i clean engine fuel injection before i go autoshop for oxygen senor repair or what?

let me know thank!

Are you talking about check engine light? I had that happen 2 times with my Honda. I went to the auto parts shop to get the code of what the problem is and the code returned with a result of o2 sensor malfuction. I had it resetted twice so far and there's no problems since. It hasn't come on since. Maybe the auto repair shop is ripping you off demanding you to get it replaced which it's just a malfuction. They're expensive to replace, too.

Go to the auto parts store and ask them to plug in a engine diagnostic computer and they will tell you what's wrong with it and they can reset it for you. If it comes back on again, then it's a problem with the sensor and may need to be replaced.

yea I had same problem. I failed inspection test because of it. yes you'll have to replace the oxygen sensor. should cost you about couple hundred bucks for parts + labor fee.

Go to the auto parts store and ask them to plug in a engine diagnostic computer and they will tell you what's wrong with it and they can reset it for you. If it comes back on again, then it's a problem with the sensor and may need to be replaced.

at inspection center - they can see that the sensor's being reset because they have their own diagnostic computer too. they may not accept it. I'm not sure

at inspection center - they can see that the sensor's being reset because they have their own diagnostic computer too. they may not accept it. I'm not sure

Well, as long it passes the emissions is all they care about. My car passed the last emissions when I had the o2 sensor resetted.

they did check it with small device computer.. it says slow circuit something.. it means oxygen senor is very bad... it looks like repair or replace.. it costs almost 200 , included labor fee

Check Engine Light - Turning Off A Check Engine Light - Check Engine Checkup

CHECK ENGINE. There's nothing fun about those two words. There's also not a lot of logic to be gathered from them. Check engine? Could they be a little more specific? Nope, they can't. That's because the Check Engine light comes to life if anything, and we do mean anything isn't 100% under the hood. This means that you could be staring at a major repair, or your gas cap could be too loose (no kidding).

Unfortunately, the majority of recurrent Check Engine episodes eventually lead to some professional repair time. The most common problems that trigger the light are emission control malfunctions. The emission control system is what your car uses to try to keep our air a little cleaner. To do this, it employs dozens of sensors, valves, flaps, heated wires and probably some fairy dust. Every car made in the last 20 years has at least one oxygen sensor (we saw a Toyota that had four of them recently), and they don't last forever. If they go, expect around $300 per sensor in replacement costs.

But don't throw your wallet in the street just yet. There are also plenty of little things that can make the Check Engine light come on, and many are easily corrected. Here are a few of the more commonly occurring issues:

Your gas cap isn't on tight enough.
You read that right, it might be your gas cap. Some cars measure how much pressure is building up inside your gas tank. It involves a series of mathematical algorithms that track your driving style and how much pressure is usually in the tank, then set off an alarm if it strays a certain percentage from the average. Whatever. All is means is that if you're gas cap isn't on tight, it thinks something is up and lights the orange dashboard candle, the Check Engine light. Tighten the gas cap and see what happens. It may take a week or more before the light goes out.

Your engine got wet where it didn't like it
Any electrical burp under the hood can cause one of your car's gazillion sensors to take a funny reading. When it does, you can expect to see the Check Engine light. We worked on a Ford truck once that triggered the Check Engine light every time it rained. After a lot of diagnosis, we found water that was dripping onto a spark plug wire, then running down the wire to the engine's head, causing an occasional short. Every time the water ran down the wire, the light came on. A few days later, it would turn off on its own. Be sure your engine doesn't have a wetness problem. More common than rain water getting in there is the overzealous owner who sprays his engine down at the high pressure car wash, shooting water into every crevice of the engine, thus lighting the light.

Your spark plug wires are bad
As your spark plug wires start to get old, they may develop tiny cracks which can let little bursts of electricity out. This electricity was supposed to be going to a spark plug, and since it didn't, the engine will misfire slightly, meaning one of the spark plugs didn't spark enough. Once again, this can cause the Check Engine light to come on. With your engine off, check your spark plug wires for tiny cracks or holes, especially around the ends of the wires. If they look shabby, you should replace them.

Something to ponder.

Well, as long it passes the emissions is all they care about. My car passed the last emissions when I had the o2 sensor resetted.

very nice. it's stringent in NJ :(

they did check it with small device computer.. it says slow circuit something.. it means oxygen senor is very bad... it looks like repair or replace.. it costs almost 200 , included labor fee

yep $200 sounds right. :mad:

babyblue... mmm my gas tap is tight enought.. my engine wasnt that wet..
so spark plug .. mmm i never thought of that but maybe.. maybe not..
so far all i saw the evidence is that small device that tell it was oxygen senor..

Most can be resetted easily! If the car has a minor flaw, such as the link I posted above.

That is why I resetted the computer and there hasn't been any problems like Babyblue mentioned in the post. Anything can make the o2 sensor malfuction.

geez...

you got some tools??? disconnect the battery and let it sit a few minutes disconnected the reconnect it... that resets the onboard computer.. restart it.. it may idle rough a couple minutes depending on the car... see if that light comes on again...

tell me what year make and model car it is and engine size ill get the price of the sensor... you might be able to replace it yourself... i had a couple go bad on me and replaced it in my driveway.

Believe it or not, I disconnected the battery terminals for an hour and reconnected them. This ressetted the sensor, although if it shows up again, then something more serious is definitely going on under the hood.

Back