Emergency help needed! Well, not life or death but need international relay

Reaction score
Is there any relay available from Canada to the US? I have to make a quick call to the doctor or I lose a moved up appointment for a procedure I desperately need. I just am stuck because I can't find a relay service that works from Canada to the Us, and it must be online. I probably can go down and see if there's a hotel TTY available, but this is Canada, I have no idea what is legally required, so an online relay would work best.

As a longtiime user TTY here in Ontario/Canada - Just dial 711 and give the relay operator the number you wish to speak to. You must have or access a VCO TTY phone.
The long distance phone charge would be charged to your phone bill.

Good luck

As a longtiime user TTY here in Ontario/Canada - Just dial 711 and give the relay operator the number you wish to speak to. You must have or access a VCO TTY phone.
The long distance phone charge would be charged to your phone bill.

Good luck

I do not have the answer but please double check this. The OP prefers online rather than a TTY. The call would be an international call from Canada to the US.

I don't know if there are any that work the other way (US to Canada) but I have seen many reminders of service that is just in the US.

Hmm you don't note if you are Canadian or from the US...

Bell IP Relay allows for calls from Canada to US but will bill to your home Bell # (Canadian)

I would assume the same is true if you use a US based IPrelay system.

I assumed he was referring to TTY- relay(711).

aside: I don't use Bell IP though I do use their phone lines of which my TTY is "hooked" up. I also use Bell "call answer service"- which "tapes" all messages left.
aside: easy to get Relay to say what the message is.

aside: one must the necessary equipment to access Relay. However as a visitor to Canada perhaps reqesting a friend to make the call on the regular phone would seem to be the only way at the moment.

Yeah, someone finally came around and checked their mail and made the phone call for me. I pretty much don't call anyone, it's all email and online chat through stuff like Google Hangouts, and all my friends have things like jobs (that's crazy! people working? ;-) ). I was just hoping for some sort of other option so I could do the call myself. I think it's ridiculous that there's no international online relay.

I don't even know if this hotel has a physical TTY available, I should probably ask but the hotels in the US often don't have them. For instance the big hotel I stayed at recently in Denver has the pool with a lift for access by those who use wheelchairs, and so did the smaller hotel (a Best Western I think) that I stayed in near the airport in Dallas when my plane was canceled due to weather, and I would suspect they had TTYs. The cheaper random hotel I was in overnight while driving to Canada couldn't even provide the right remote to get the captioning to work on the TV so I doubt they would bother to have a TTY. I would also be a bit afraid of the cost of an international call from the hotel phone.

It's good to know (I guess) that I couldn't have made the call using my computer alone. At least I know I missed out on my appointment because I didn't miss that there's an international online relay. The appointment, alas, went to someone else.

Back