Embarassing lip reading moments!

What a friend actually said
'Would you like to choose a song'.

What I thought he said
'Would you like a Cheese Scone'

-

I was disappointed when it turned out it wasn't a Cheese Scone :P haha

Well for me being HoH, I never relied on anything other than hearing until my hearing started to go and I'm trying to get better at lip reading, but I feel embarrassed staring at peoples lips, I'm wondering if they notice that and see that as me taking a sexual interest in them or something that it's totally not.

My daughter-in-law is deaf and my son comes and he had asked her for the vacuum cleaner. She asked him to repeat what he said and he just said VACUUM. Well, she slapped him in the face and stormed off. He later learned the word vacuum looks very similar in lip-reading to FU.

My daughter-in-law is deaf and my son comes and he had asked her for the vacuum cleaner. She asked him to repeat what he said and he just said VACUUM. Well, she slapped him in the face and stormed off. He later learned the word vacuum looks very similar in lip-reading to FU.
This reminds me of a book I bought years ago by Henry Kisor. "What's That Pig Outdoors". The title comes from a mis-lipreading of "What's that big loud noise." In the preface he suggests you say it in front of a mirror. To the lipreader "What's that big loud noise" looks exactly like "What's that pig outdoors?" As the sub-title says it is "A Memor of Deafness. Of all things the author worked as a journalist for many years and this book was published in 1990. Just think of all the tech that has come out since to help us communicate. (I just pulled the book out to do these quotes.)

I remember being on the school bus and my crush silently saying "alligator food" to a girl on the bus because he knew it looked a LOT like "I love you" when lipreading. She got flustered and I felt the lil green envy monster creeping up; then he explained the joke. ha oh high school bus days

Back