Embarassing lip reading moments!

No matter what you think when it comes to lipreading skills. You can hear some sounds from the hearing aids or Cis, but still it is all guess at what the hearing person said. It is not that easy.

I wrote this on Deaf Native forum with my native friend dealing with hearing people. Here is my statement.

A lot of hearing people have no idea what deaf is like and what silence is like and how we have to live with silence in our Deaf world. The hearing person or people is just curious and want to know what it is like to be Deaf? They think that hearing aids or CIs would help the deaf people to hear clearly which is not exactly true at all. They can only hear environment sounds like noises. Also lipreading without the sounds does not help at all, either. Movies or plays like "Children of Lesser God" are showing that we can lipread hearing people 100%. Not true also. We are pretty much isolate among hearing people in the hearing world. That is why we choose Deaf friends more than hearing friends and family members. We like our Deaf world the best. Yes, like Kub said "That's who I am to you (as Deaf person), just accept me as I am deaf". Many hearing people don't accept deafness so they push us into hearing which is ridiculous. It never works that way.

Oh, yeah, another one....back in NTID we had to take at least one phys ed course to graduate, and the only class left was bowling.

I showed up late, and there was a teacher giving a lecture, so I stood way in the back leaning against the wall. I noticed a few deaf students, the rest were hearing, and there was no interpreter.

The teacher looked at me and said what I thought was "Do you need an interpreter?", to which I said "Yes".

She asked me to come stand next to her, so I did. After 5 minutes of talking to the class while I am standing next to her, she looked at me like there was something wrong with me. The whole class was looking at me like there was something wrong. I was too stupid to figure out what was going on.

The interpreter finally showed up and said "I am the interpreter"

Teacher said to her "That's okay, we have one right here...." and pointed to me.

It was then that I realized she asked me if I was the interpreter, not "do you need one".

I was the butt of everyone's joke for a long time....

:laugh2:

i was visiting my mother and I could have sworn she said, "Is it warm outside?" To which I replied, "Yeah, it's about 70 degrees or so."

She stopped and looked at me for a few seconds, and said, 'No, I asked if you wanted something from Wal-Mart? I'm going shopping there later."

Heh.

I have some, but I remember this one the most:

My friend during a test in highschool saw someone cheating on a test and she said "im ashamed of you!" I misheard her, and with my witty habit of guessing rather than directly asking, i said "you're gonna shave him where??" :Oops: :lol:

Today -_- lol

I hear.. "Obi Wan was a repeated ravioli"
What was said.. "All he wanted was reheated ravioli"

My absolute favorite was in the car when I asked what a button on the dash did.
What was said: "It resets the trip-meter"
What I heard/saw: "It launches the torpedo"

We've called that thing the torpedo launcher ever since. I guess the car was bought used from inspector gadget.

I don't have hearing aids, sometimes I think I definitely need them. I have been diagnosed with etd, and am deaf to low tones... My biggest problem is that I'm a hairstylist, I cut mostly men's hair... Which means the occasional low tone of voice. I get atleast one guy a day who sounds like Charlie browns teacher an with me cutting hair I can't tea their lips the whole time. I, of course, do the whole head nod hing and hope they didn't ask a question, and make it awkward by asking if they asked a question... An they awkwardly say no. And then there's no talking after that. I feel that it's not fair to tell people that I can't hear them because I'm not completely deaf... I should be paying attention...right? I don't know if my hearing loss is bad enough to say I'm deaf. The last time I wa checked I was 19 and I'm 23 now, some people think I'm just a dumb blonde, when really I didn't hear what they said. I was the butt of the whole "selective hearing" joke as a kid, and I guess it has made me feel like it's my fault I don't hear what the person said.... Someone help me understand!!! I'm sure there is someone out there who knows what I've been through!!!

I don't have hearing aids, sometimes I think I definitely need them. I have been diagnosed with etd, and am deaf to low tones... My biggest problem is that I'm a hairstylist, I cut mostly men's hair... Which means the occasional low tone of voice. I get atleast one guy a day who sounds like Charlie browns teacher an with me cutting hair I can't tea their lips the whole time. I, of course, do the whole head nod hing and hope they didn't ask a question, and make it awkward by asking if they asked a question... An they awkwardly say no. And then there's no talking after that. I feel that it's not fair to tell people that I can't hear them because I'm not completely deaf... I should be paying attention...right? I don't know if my hearing loss is bad enough to say I'm deaf. The last time I wa checked I was 19 and I'm 23 now, some people think I'm just a dumb blonde, when really I didn't hear what they said. I was the butt of the whole "selective hearing" joke as a kid, and I guess it has made me feel like it's my fault I don't hear what the person said.... Someone help me understand!!! I'm sure there is someone out there who knows what I've been through!!!
Help you understand what?

Be more specific if you want help.

Nobody has ever really payed attention to me not being able to hear things... It's just been place on the back burner and I'm the only one who has to deal with it. And I'm sorry but being an ass isn't helping either! I'd rather not hear from anybody than here from you. There's hearing loss in the family but it gets worse throug the generations and nobody understands it. It's just frustrating not talking to anyone who understands.

I can hear for the most part but it's embarrassing when I can't. And when men are talkin I can't hear them. It's not selective...I seriously can't hear them. It sounds like they are humming. High pitches hurt my ears and bass makes a static noise, it's complicated I know

Nobody has ever really payed attention to me not being able to hear things... It's just been place on the back burner and I'm the only one who has to deal with it. And I'm sorry but being an ass isn't helping either! I'd rather not hear from anybody than here from you. There's hearing loss in the family but it gets worse throug the generations and nobody understands it. It's just frustrating not talking to anyone who understands.

I can hear for the most part but it's embarrassing when I can't. And when men are talkin I can't hear them. It's not selective...I seriously can't hear them. It sounds like they are humming. High pitches hurt my ears and bass makes a static noise, it's complicated I know
Pity you don't get to pick your responders.

Go tell an ENT exactly what you are posting here and they will easily be able to give you a definitive answer.

And then they test your hearing through beeps and bops an miraculously you can hear!!!! And then your just a waste of time and a good paycheck! This is all I've gotten from them

And I just realized I sound like a redneck. I am educated, I do speak English and definitely don't have a country accent. Sorry for the confusion

And then they test your hearing through beeps and bops an miraculously you can hear!!!! And then your just a waste of time and a good paycheck! This is all I've gotten from them

And I just realized I sound like a redneck. I am educated, I do speak English and definitely don't have a country accent. Sorry for the confusion

You understand we are a bunch of deaf people who can't hear you accent?

But we can of course observe your phonetic spelling.

A doctor does far more than a tone test, and can rule out various tumors and medical conditions that might be life threatening.

See a doctor!

That's all they have ever done for me. And that's the thing. I am not completely deaf I still hear things like accents and mostly high pitch things. But because I'm not completely deaf doctors don't treat it the same. But I can tell you for sure my hearing has gotten worse in the past 4 years. Even after getting tubes to "fix" the problem. I could hear clear for a year and then it started going way downhill after that..I don't feel right complaining about my slight hearing loss to people who can't hear at all because yes I do not understand the feeling, but is there an in between kind of group?

That's all they have ever done for me. And that's the thing. I am not completely deaf I still hear things like accents and mostly high pitch things. But because I'm not completely deaf doctors don't treat it the same. But I can tell you for sure my hearing has gotten worse in the past 4 years. Even after getting tubes to "fix" the problem. I could hear clear for a year and then it started going way downhill after that..I don't feel right complaining about my slight hearing loss to people who can't hear at all because yes I do not understand the feeling, but is there an in between kind of group?

That is something you have to learn if you have a hearing problem. Get professional help, either with your Doctor or ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) and they will help you find out why you are missing some conversations in the Barber shop or Beauty shop where you worked. You may think you are not completely deaf, but have problem not understanding what the person or customer said. So you need to get that check that out and find out why you are having that problem. Good luck. :cool2:

As a kid i had to lip read. I remeber this time in kindergarden when i staryed to cry because i thought my teacher called me "estupida" which is stupid in english but that word in spanosh is more insulting than in english i guess. And what she said was "estupendo" which is lile wonderful or something like it. Yup cried for no good reason.

Last night my friend said, "My cold is made of stars!" I managed to get "My coat is made out of stars," but gave up after that. We were too busy laughing.

This one isn't lipreading, but a mishearing. It's funny though: "Poor Kristin" was what my friend said. I heard, "**** my skin". It's become a saying among my friends. If something bad happens to someone, they will say, "Awww...**** your skin....". It makes me laugh!

I have many stories but this weekend was full of them.
My friend said "I got a new shelf for the house"
What I heard? "I got an elf stuck in my shoe"
We burst out laughing from that one.

This also happens to me on the phone...
Yesterday I was talking to my boss who was telling me my schedule and everything. He says "Farida will give you your schedule this week also with your job description"
I got: "Patricia will give you your schedule next week for your job description"
So I said "Okay can't wait to hear from Patricia!"
My Boss? "Patricia? We don't have anyone named Patricia..."
Me: Uh... then can't wait to get the e-mail... I uh, have to go... it was nice talking to you! See you soon! :Oops:

I always mess people's names up. One time my friend was introducing me to her friend.
Her friends name is Denise. I got Teresa from that. And then people make fun of you for mishearing or mislipreading them...

Back