eligible for cochlear implant and many questions

Kaze105

Reaction score
Well, finally went to the audiologist regarding my hearing loss. My hearing aids barely work when I am in front of +2 people and forget about it if there are many. My hearing of above 500Hz are around or below 80dB.

After talking I end up in a problem. Advanced bionics or Cochlear. The advantage of using cochlear at this point is that my audiologist is used to it as 99% of her patients use Cochlear.

Checking their websites, they both try to show their advantage:
Search | Advanced Bionics

Advanced bionics implant technology comparison chart.pdf.

The Cochlear

Could people possibly share their experience using the products? (possibly just bad as I know they have their good points)

I have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony since August 2007.So far, no problem.To date has exceeded my expectations.
I am aware last year of production problems at AB as apparently there is/was one at Cochlear.
Guess on the exact time when one is to be implanted as well the experiences of those people-audi/surgeon that assists one- which product they are "comfortable with". There is also Med El.
Five years ago AB had just brought the Harmony which then was "better" than the other two companies products. That is why it was considered. Time doesn't "stand still" with the ongoing improvements.

Much success on whatever product you are implanted with.

I honestly wished I went with AB. They have a better sound quality processor and IMO think they got a better future since they parterned up with a large hearing aid company (i forgot the name, someone back me up please :))

I will post more later, just busy right now

I honestly wished I went with AB. They have a better sound quality processor and IMO think they got a better future since they parterned up with a large hearing aid company (i forgot the name, someone back me up please :))

I will post more later, just busy right now

It's Phonak.

I have two Cochlears, chose them since my surgeon has implanted hundreds of different CI's and prefers to use Cochlear.

Not sure if it is because of their reliability or because he gets free vacations all over the world...:hmm:

Seriously, go with what your surgeon recommends, as every single person has different results.

I got AB myself, I just felt like they are making more progress with the technology, and sound processing strategies and such (with release of the Neptune, ClearVoice speech processing strategy which is extremely useful in noisy situations, and now the T-comm which is a T-mic and telecoil option for the Neptunes). And the fact that AB and Phonak are both owned by Sonova, and they both are working together on a new smaller BTE processor for AB, and I've worn Phonak's most of my life, I can get the best of both worlds! I'm excited to see what AB comes out with eventually! Just the fact that AB has an off the ear processor (the Neptune) which can also be waterproof for swimming and such, just fantastic. I love the Neptune, gives my ear a break from the weight of the Harmony BTE.

I am unsure if my hospital provides med el, but is there any specific reason why cochlear and AB are more commonly chosen? Also thanks for the replies. Still gathering info till my CT scan and choosing of brand in a couple days. (2 precisely)

I understand Cochlear is Australian, Advanced Bionics- is American and Med El is Austrian.
Also, Cochlear has been around a long time as is Advanced Bionics- not sure exactly how long Med El has been. Thus surgeons are "used to their products".

I am not a CI user myself however my daughter is.

We chose AB 1st off because of their customer service department, I would encourage you to call both companies Customer Service. For us AB was able to answer any and all questions within seconds of our call (even were honest and did not hide anything about the recalls). They even found a representative for our area for us to talk to so we could set up a time to meet with them to review their product and had literature out to us the next day. Cochlear took weeks to even get back to us and few more weeks and us hounding to even get literature. I have met with a couple who both had CI's. One had cochlear and the other AB. The one with Cochlear wished he could have AB like his wife.

I also know of a family who has Cochlear and they needed a new head cable and it took over two weeks for them to send out the replacement part. So they were without sound for two weeks! We have had to replace our cables probably 6 times only b/c our daughter liked to pull them off (more like yank them off during tantrums or chew on them b/c of her age) and we ALWAYS got the replacement part the next day. (you won't be as rough with them as our daughter was so don't worry you probably won't be replacing parts as often however, if you need to you don't want to be waiting two weeks for a part!)

We also liked that AB b/c we felt like they are making more progress with technology, and sound processing strategies. Neptune (may go swimming with it or wear it in the shower/bath) and Clear Voice are awesome!

Yes AB recently had a recall however they air on the side of precaution with only one or two devices failing they voluntarily pulled it off the market unlike cochlear who recently had a recall where I believe over 100 devices failed before the FDA made them take it off. I believe they are implanting their old technology now. Me personally I would want the newest and latest technology.

My daughter is doing great so far if we have more kids who need implants i'll definitely continue going with AB! Good luck with your decision!

I have Cochlear C.I.s and have not had any problems with customer service. If I need a replacement part I have had the part in two days. I have done really well with the implants.

In choosing an C.I. think about your lifestyle. For Example, If I were a swimmer the Neptune would be very tempting. BTW, Until I tried on one of the dummy processors I could have gone either way. Cochlear won out because the processor was more comfortable on my ears.

Does anyone know if permission from insurance of CI only is to the specific hospital, or is it with me. My current doctor does offer AB and cochlear, but he does not want me to get AB at all. After I asked him about why, he did tell me about the facts I already know (recall) and even cochlear is the most recent with the recalls. I am thinking of changing doctors, but if permission from insurance only is for the specific hospital, I will have to wait an extra month for the new hospital to get permission so I want to confirm this.

If you have doubts about your doctor, the wait is worth it. I am implanted with AB and go to House Ear Clinic. They do not steer you towards either implant the way your doctor is (though the first audiologist I had seemed to be passively trying to steer me towards Cochlear as she seemed concernd when I made my decision. She also told me I wouldn't have music..... it's almost funny how wrong she was/is. Fidelity 120 is serious stuff!) TBH, I'd be wondering how much he really knows his stuff. What type of incision does he use? Some doctors leave a huge gash on the side of your head. HEI doctors use a small incision behind the ear that isn't noticable.

Focus on the internal technology. You will want to have piece of mind that you won't find out more about what each can do internally after the fact. The reliability argument is over. It was always a marketing tool used by Cochlear (if you were to check the FDA Maude site, you'd realize they are full of sh**.) They are now at over 600 failures related to this recall.

600 failures with the N5 device, or in total with any Cochlear devices?

I have two Cochlears, chose them since my surgeon has implanted hundreds of different CI's and prefers to use Cochlear.

Not sure if it is because of their reliability or because he gets free vacations all over the world...:hmm:

Seriously, go with what your surgeon recommends, as every single person has different results.

I am having surgery next week. It was an extremely hard decision. My surgeon felt Cochlear was better for me. He expressed his concerns of my serious illness last year that caused my hearing loss and felt this was the safest route to go. I believe you need to have total faith in your surgeon, and when you do, take their advice. GOOD LUCK!!!!

I am having surgery next week. It was an extremely hard decision. My surgeon felt Cochlear was better for me. He expressed his concerns of my serious illness last year that caused my hearing loss and felt this was the safest route to go. I believe you need to have total faith in your surgeon, and when you do, take their advice. GOOD LUCK!!!!

In cases where a particular type of electrode is necessary, I agree. The three main manufacturers all have different types of electrodes that may be a better fit for a specific candidate.

In others where they can really go with any of them, it should be their decision.

The Advanced Bionics and the Phonak... how long have they been business partners?

Could they develop something like a Completely-In-Canal cochlear implant processor as the next product? I noticed that a lot of CI users with the AB state that they're relieved that the Neptune is off ears.

Neptune= off ears

Okay

Big body processor and wires while swimming... versus a completely-in-canal cochlear implant processor

I'd go with the second one

The Advanced Bionics and the Phonak... how long have they been business partners?

Could they develop something like a Completely-In-Canal cochlear implant processor as the next product? I noticed that a lot of CI users with the AB state that they're relieved that the Neptune is off ears.

Neptune= off ears

Okay

Big body processor and wires while swimming... versus a completely-in-canal cochlear implant processor

I'd go with the second one

There is nothing large about the Neptune compared any other body worn processor... and yes, it is nice to have it off the ear. It's great to put on a cap and go out in public completely incognito.

The reason it's not even smaller is the fact it uses an AAA battery. That is no small feature in itself. It's a battery type that is easily available giving you flexibility.

A canal-placed processor is not going to happen. You are in fantasyland not taking in to consideration the power needs. No battery that small can power 120 virtual channels or any strategy, really. Maybe in a couple of decades. An In-the-ear-canal hearing aid is possible because it uses low amplification levels with minimal power. You won't see anyone with a severe-loss using one. A cochlear implant has very different, yet increased power needs depending on how much work it is doing. Look at the rechargeable batteries for the Behind-The-Ear processors for all three major-implant brands. That's where the smallest size is currently.

Last edited:
A canal-placed processor is not going to happen. You are in fantasyland not taking in to consideration the power needs. No battery that small can power 120 virtual channels or any strategy, really. Maybe in a couple of decades. An In-the-ear-canal hearing aid is possible because it uses low amplification levels with minimal power. You won't see anyone with a severe-loss using one. A cochlear implant has very different, yet increased power needs depending on how much work it is doing. Look at the rechargeable batteries for the Behind-The-Ear processors for all three major-implant brands. That's where the smallest size is currently.

Oh, man.

Back