Electrodes

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
How many electrodes do you have ?

I have 22 electrodes but only 20 are switched on

I have 22 electrodes, but 6 high frequency electrodes were turned off on each CI leaving 16 remaining.

If you want to get technical, I have a total of 44 electrodes and
32 are currently being used. :giggle:

Now that I think about it, I may be wrong.

If I remember correctly, one electrode in all Cochlear CIs is a grounding electrode that produces no sound.

With that being the case, I have 15 remaining electrodes on
each CI.

Really? I didnt know that. I dont know why I have 1 electrode off then

No because every since the surgery or activation iv always had just 20 electrodes on. Im hoping they'll sort my eye twitching out next time i go because it is really annoyin cos i want more sound, unless my map is already high and they dont want to turn it up and they havent told me

No because every since the surgery or activation iv always had just 20 electrodes on. Im hoping they'll sort my eye twitching out next time i go because it is really annoyin cos i want more sound, unless my map is already high and they dont want to turn it up and they havent told me

Having 20 electrodes on isn't unusual. Many CI users have anywhere from 1-3 electrodes turned off for one reason or another.

However, according to my audi, having 6 turned off isn't as common.

That's okay with me though either way since I'm very happy with how well I'm hearing with my CIs. :D

:D:giggle::lol:

Im glad your happy with your CI's

Can you localise sound better with 2 CI's?

I cannot localise sound at all. I know I have the benefit of being able to see, but you cannot always see cars, especially on blind corners where I have to run because I cannot hear which direction the car is coming from

:D:giggle::lol:

Im glad your happy with your CI's

I hope you're able to get the best hearing possible Lissa. It took me 4 years, but thanks to my new audi, she did a great job of creating some really good maps I can hear well with.

There are 24 electrodes on the array and two are grounds and there is a third ground on a separate wire that has a tiny ball on the end.
I have electode 7 tun off since it is opened and will not pass a signal. This will tell the program to use the adjacent electodes on each side to pick up the "Slack" for the signals that could have gone to electode 7.

How many electrodes do you have ?

I have 22 electrodes but only 20 are switched on

Thanks for sharing the facts both of you. DeafLissa90, hope u find out what exactly is causing the eye twitching and let us know how they plan to resolve this and get you to hear better.

I thought the Freedom CI only had 22 electrodes -- one of them being a grounded electrode. I'm going to e-mail someone at Cochlear because I'd like to know this for certain.

On my Cochlear Freedom there is 22 active electrodes plus the two grounding electodes making it 24 altogether on the same array. On Advanced Bionics implant there is 16 electrodes acting like pairs.

There's 24 electrodes?

There are 24 electrodes on the array and two are grounds and there is a third ground on a separate wire that has a tiny ball on the end.

This is correct. :) Hence why of N22 - they don't have ground, or even if they did, it's not counted. (Correct me on this) - as well as N24/N24C/Freedom.

john57 and Lady :ty: You just saved me from having to write an e-mail to Cochlear. :)

I dont have the freedom internal implant I have N22 or N24 whichever it is

Okay seems like some people are still confused.

Implants:

N22 - 22 FUNCTIONAL Electrodes - FIRST implant
N24 - 22 FUNCTIONAL Electrodes, two ground - Total is 24
N24C - 22 FUNCTIONAL Electrodes, two ground - Total is 24, has another separate ground wire First implant to have contour array to help reduce the damage to delicate hair cells in the cochlea.
Freedom - 22 FUNCTIONAL Electrodes, two ground - Total is 24, has another separate ground wire, Freedom just has more fine tuned upgrade than N24C...it doesn't mean it's better, just a little upgrade (I'm always forgetting what's the difference).

So...no matter what implant you have, you have 22 Functional Electrodes, and they're the only ones that are tested. The rest are there just for ground purposes. I suspect this was implemented because some users report that some of the electrodes get fried, and would have to be reimplanted. It totally make sense. Go ahead and give yourself a nice electric shock...it won't destroy the fine wire mesh that's in your head...it'll just screw up your maps...is THAT a big deal? NO! :) Having said that, this is one reason why Cochlear is very good with backward compatibility.

Not to leave AB users out -

The First implant was 8 (I think...C1), then after that, all the implants were 16 electrodes. None has the contour array, or extra ground wire. I think the contour array has been patented by Cochlear, so AB cannot really use it. I'm not sure if it has ground electrodes, but it should.

AB has a very good implant now, but a few years ago, if you were implanted, you kind of were out of luck at getting the Auria or Harmony because it's not backward compatible. From what I've heard is that they're working on this. To me, I think it kind of sucks to hear that from a young company. A friend of mine was on Clarion implant, and she doesn't wear her CI because she wants the BTE. She hates the body worn.

I'm hoping that older AB users can have the next gen BTE if possible.

Back