Electric Cruzin Cooler Gotcha!!!!

purplecatty

Reaction score
Hey Guys!!

I bet you'll be damn and pissed that one man's trash is another man's treasure which was my luckiest find ever.

Today, I was taking my son to McDonalds and was heading down the road, I saw something on driveway corner with wheels :confused: and pulled over quickly. I took a closer look and Indeed it's a Cruzin Cooler being thrown away. I went to owner's home and rang doorbell. He came out and I asked him if I can have those junk on end of driveway. He said Sure go for it and he went with me and told me that charger came with it. He said that the reason why he threw it away because both of axle bolts came off and gear sprocket was loose and it won't turns. Rest of the cooler parts are in good shape. I told him that I'd be happy to have it and fix it up. he said Go for it! and he left. So I grabbed it and loaded it into my Durango and also grabbed dual shoplights with broken halogen bulbs, it's in excellent shape with glass shield.

I took it in my garage and took all drivetrain apart and repaired it. I found out that wheel bearing and axle kinda sticks (wheels have ball bearing) which is why axle nuts came off due to no lubrication. I lubricated it. I fixed loose sprocket w/ brake disk on wheel shaft (One wheel have threaded shaft to screw in sprocket, it took me while to unscrew sprocket because it is a fine thread.) I also found that the sprocket lock bolt wasn't tightened to shaft correctly. The tire tube air valve was in wrong place (next to sprocket) so I unscrewed the split rim and popped the rims in half and flipped the tire along with tube then put it back in then tightened screws. After that I put everything back on and sprayed WD-40. I filled air to 50 psi as noted on side of tire. I don't have spare axle bolts so I have to get one from hardware. I planned to bolt it in then drill a hole on top of bolt and put cotter pin in so it won't come off. Then the last thing I would do is to charge battery then ready to play with it. It wasn't hard to fix it tho.

I've never ever thought that I could be one to own it. I've seen one in AD post about drunken man riding on Cruzin Cooler and was pulled over by cop and was charged for DWI.

It was cool to own it but would that be useful?

At least it's free :naughty:

So that's my lucky find.

Catty

Attachments

• IMAG0148.jpg
    IMAG0148.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0150.jpg
    IMAG0150.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0151.jpg
    IMAG0151.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 12
Yeah, those things are funny. I saw those on a chinese website with a huge pile of them to make at a factory. They're made in china. :giggle: Good find, buddy!

Yeah, those things are funny. I saw those on a chinese website with a huge pile of them to make at a factory. They're made in china. :giggle: Good find, buddy!

Yup. I just finished charging the battery and whoa!! It runs. My sons had fun riding it despite no axle nuts on (the axle is actually held by bracket underside of cooler but not the silver brackets outside of cooler to hold axle ). The metal shield held it for temporarily So I planned to take it to hardware store and find right sized nuts and washer so that I can really use it.

I looked through the homepage of Cruzin Cooler and read info about it. I realized that there are many different power rating on Cruzin Cooler. Newest is 1000 watt. I looked mine and it have no labelling ect. So it could be around 500 to 750 watts. The motor is pretty powerful enuf to push me around on cooler.
Cruzin Cooler Official Site

Learning from website that you can ride up to 15 miles or 1 hour on a full throttle up to 12mph on one charge. There is gas powered version but I do not see in the website. 33cc 2 cycle gas engine will be enough to power up to 30 miles and go up to 15mph. you can even hitch non-motorized wheeled cooler. It says that it can carry up to 250lbs but if flat area, 500 lbs.

It says that Cruzin Cooler only for 18 yr old and above. I have one inscribed on my handlebar says "Do not allow 16 years old or under to ride it.". Apparently it's for adult use... Adult toys :rofl:

Catty

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

So, around 700 watts is one horsepower so that's pretty strong for a little icebox toy. :laugh2:

This device confounded me as to how they function. Wench, explain yourself.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

So, around 700 watts is one horsepower so that's pretty strong for a little icebox toy. :laugh2:

Yes, the electric motor in fact are more powerful than gasoline. It have constant hp while gasoline engine have "torque curve". Which is why. 1000 watt motor perhap would been 1 1/2 hp or a bit greater and have more torque to get you around on mild hill or golf course.

Catty

This device confounded me as to how they function. Wench, explain yourself.

Take electrical course :lol:

Bunch of wires w/ connectors. I know it's basically 24 volts battery (two 12vdc battery connected in series) and controller for motor. Handlebar have switch (I believe 3 level speed switch). The motor connects to wheel sprocket via chain. Chain is small and narrow. The motor sprocket is as small as diameter of your pinky finger. Sprocket on wheel is about 3 1/2 or 4 inch diameter. design look pretty much similar to Electric Razor scooter.

Make sense?

Catty

Just today (on Labor day), I wen to hardware store and got couple nuts and washer then bolted the axle. Then I rode it and it was so fun!! I went up the hill then went down, it was pretty fast going down at 13 mph. It was kinda hairy ride :eek2: because cooler is narrow and it's 3 wheeler so I had to be careful not to flick the steering or else I'll go tumbling and crash. My sons rode around the block and they had a blast riding it. I cleaned the cooler and it's ready to be in use.

Catty

Just today (on Labor day), I wen to hardware store and got couple nuts and washer then bolted the axle. Then I rode it and it was so fun!! I went up the hill then went down, it was pretty fast going down at 13 mph. It was kinda hairy ride :eek2: because cooler is narrow and it's 3 wheeler so I had to be careful not to flick the steering or else I'll go tumbling and crash. My sons rode around the block and they had a blast riding it. I cleaned the cooler and it's ready to be in use.

Catty

cops-police-arrest-siren.gif

:lol: awesome. I wonder if ebay has it :hmm:

Yes, the electric motor in fact are more powerful than gasoline. It have constant hp while gasoline engine have "torque curve". Which is why. 1000 watt motor perhap would been 1 1/2 hp or a bit greater and have more torque to get you around on mild hill or golf course.

Catty

Yeah, I know what you mean there. Electric motors rocks the boat!

cops-police-arrest-siren.gif

:lol: awesome. I wonder if ebay has it :hmm:

U betcha. I bet that you'll use it for party or to and from school or work :rofl:

Perhap save you $$ on gas.

That's only if you can afford to blow $400 up to $800 for it. I checked Ebay and pretty much the same as Cruzin Cooler product homepage.

Catty

For those that came here following a link on Google:

I recently acquired two of these scooters: A genuine article 1st-gen (Legacy Series 50, 300w/24V) and a knock-off that resembles a later model (Legacy Series 51/52?)

In my efforts to make the former operable, I've discovered [among things] a large aftermarket support for it listed on both eBay and otherwise that have helped me make improvements on it... with more to come!;)

Using this to bring my load into the local BYOB club has been a blast! And though it can't propel me at all in it's current power configuration it certainly moves my Class-M licensed lady-friend about with ease. Seeing her enjoy it so brings joy to me as well.:)

For those that came here following a link on Google:

I recently acquired two of these scooters: A genuine article 1st-gen (Legacy Series 50, 300w/24V) and a knock-off that resembles a later model (Legacy Series 51/52?)

In my efforts to make the former operable, I've discovered [among things] a large aftermarket support for it listed on both eBay and otherwise that have helped me make improvements on it... with more to come!;)

Using this to bring my load into the local BYOB club has been a blast! And though it can't propel me at all in it's current power configuration it certainly moves my Class-M licensed lady-friend about with ease. Seeing her enjoy it so brings joy to me as well.:)

I'm the same guy as Purplecatty (forgot password) and AS of now, I still have Cruzin Cooler in garage. Since 2007 when I found it. Over the time, front tire worn out, motor controller main wire blew out and jacked up sprocket on axle (Sprocket is bolted to adapter that screwed on shaft and secured with locking lug. It failed so I decided to do permanent repair by using JB weld and it works! I replaced motor controller from Ebay. it's a silver metal case with wires stick out. I connected everything in and had to modify connectors in order to get it fit correctly. It runs good but didn't ride it because battery was old and sulfated from sitting uncharged too long. Pretty soon, I will be ordering new battery so I can ride to pick up mail and back. I have injury on right knee.

Down the road in future, I planned to build my own gas powered cooler. I do welds and fabricate metal so thought why not use old riding mower axle and possible frame including wheels so I can modify everything and drop in long cooler. Then I can ride on rough terrians and hills. My current electric Cruzin Cooler cannot ride on grass, it's too weak to ride over grass. That's why

Catty

Back