EEOC Sues Fedex For Not Accommodating Deaf Workers

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has filed a lawsuit charging that FedEx discriminated against deaf and partially deaf workers and job applicants for years.

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Baltimore and announced Friday. The EEOC says FedEx Ground employed a significant number of deaf package handlers nationwide but failed to provide needed accommodations.

The EEOC says FedEx didn't provide American Sign Language interpretation or closed-captioning training videos during mandatory tours and new-hire orientation or during staff and safety meetings. The EEOC says FedEx also refused to provide needed equipment substitutions such as scanners that vibrate instead of beep.

The lawsuit arose from 19 discrimination charges filed nationwide.

FedEx says it's committed to fair and equal treatment of employees.

EEOC Sues Fedex For Not Accommodating Deaf Workers

I'm not surprised.

Yeah, I think this has been going on for a long time, beginning with UPS.....

There are too many happening just because they don't want to spend $$ on CC OR CART or interpreters. Just because they can hear words but I knew some of them who have slightly hearing losses and won't admit it. Many times we have a meeting. They asked for an interpreter for me. My co worker sat next to me sometimes my coworker don't hear the speaker about the important part. My interpreter filled in with her lol. There need to do something about it.

There are too many happening just because they don't want to spend $$ on CC OR CART or interpreters. Just because they can hear words but I knew some of them who have slightly hearing losses and won't admit it. Many times we have a meeting. They asked for an interpreter for me. My co worker sat next to me sometimes my coworker don't hear the speaker about the important part. My interpreter filled in with her lol. There need to do something about it.

You are right. It is the same way from the mainstream schools that won't hire ASL interpreters and expected us to lipread which is difficult to make out.

Now at the job sites, even in meetings, they refused to accommodate special needs like Close captioned or subtitles for video instructions and/or have ASL interpreters so that they can understand what is going on in the meeting. Every time we get into the hearing world where we were suppose to work or going for appointments in public places like doctors and lawyers, they made excuses for reasons not to have special accommodations to help us understand what hearing people said. That is agony. I hate that when hearing people refuse to help us get accommodations. No wonder, we never get jobs because of that reasons. UGH!!!!!! :(

Deaf employee sues UPS over discrimination allegations

PHILADELPHIA – A deaf Philadelphia man is suing United Parcel Service alleging he was discriminated against on the job because the company would not provide translators.

Michael MacDonald filed a complaint on Nov. 16 in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania against UPS, citing violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act.

MacDonald, a pre-loader with UPS, claims that during his employment with UPS between September 2014 and October he was repeatedly deprived of appropriate and required accommodations for his disability. Due to his deafness, MacDonald has trouble understanding spoken conversation and requires an American Sign Language translator, although he has never been provided with one.

According to the complaint, in August, while preloading a package, the parcel fell onto the floor, spilling the inner contents on the ground. Though MacDonald tried to explain the incident, his supervisor allegedly did not understand or respond. Because of this and other incidents, MacDonald is suing UPS, claiming violations of the ADA.

MacDonald is seeking monetary compensation for all he suffered, as well as future accommodations for individuals with physical disabilities. He is represented by Julie Foster and Michael Churchill of the Public Interest Law Center in Philadelphia.

U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania Case number 2:15-cv-06132

http://pennrecord.com/stories/51065...l&st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/

cant wait to get it. Im wondering, however, if its possible to downsample the sequences? As there are so many cool music apps for the DS, Id like to import sequences from the DS-10 into other progs.

Back