Earphones/Headphones for HAs

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good earphone-type thingy to attach to HAs for listening to music off a device such as an iPhone? (Or any other device, for that matter?)

Some friends have the "hook" that goes over the ear, but I have seen complaints that hearies can still hear the music coming out. (It could be that volume is an issue with that.)

I'm hoping to find something more like "boots". Any ideas ??

Could you post a link to the streamer so I can see what that's like? Thanks!!

Could you post a link to the streamer so I can see what that's like? Thanks!!

sure! Oticon
this one is made by Oticon and I have it along with my Oticon hearing aids (not the Oticon gaia, the Oticon Safari/Chilli)

you might want that to keep that in mind if you want to upgrade to something that's useful for anything like listening to your ipod or talking on the phone since it has bluetooth.

I have the Streamer too, and mine broke after less than one semester's use. I didn't even use it everyday or anything, but something with the internal circuitry broke and Oticon said they wouldn't fix it but it wasn't my fault. Stupid thing.

Anyway, I think the headphone issue with hearies being able to hear the music is a volume issue and not a fit issue. My hearing sister has the hook ones that you're talking about, and she said people around her shouldn't be able to hear it unless it's really loud.

The only devices I've heard of are the Phonak Icom and the Oticon Streamer. Not sure what other brands have.

I have the Streamer too, and mine broke after less than one semester's use. I didn't even use it everyday or anything, but something with the internal circuitry broke and Oticon said they wouldn't fix it but it wasn't my fault. Stupid thing.

Anyway, I think the headphone issue with hearies being able to hear the music is a volume issue and not a fit issue. My hearing sister has the hook ones that you're talking about, and she said people around her shouldn't be able to hear it unless it's really loud.

The only devices I've heard of are the Phonak Icom and the Oticon Streamer. Not sure what other brands have.

really? I've never had any problem with my streamer
I heard Widex has the Dex, take a look
DEX listening devices - Widex International. Digital Hearing Aids
it's kinda like the streamer and I know someone who has that one along with his Widex Clear 440 aids.

I have both a Tec-Ear ear hook and a neck loop. As for other people hearing the music, it doesn't matter whether you use a loop, hook, or boots. It's the hearing aid that is emitting the music because it's so loud for you. When I was in middle school, my teacher went to speak with someone in the hall with my FM microphone. The kid next to me could listen in on the teacher's conversation with his ear close to my hearing aid :laugh2:

I have both a Tec-Ear ear hook and a neck loop. As for other people hearing the music, it doesn't matter whether you use a loop, hook, or boots. It's the hearing aid that is emitting the music because it's so loud for you. When I was in middle school, my teacher went to speak with someone in the hall with my FM microphone. The kid next to me could listen in on the teacher's conversation with his ear close to my hearing aid :laugh2:

I agree that others are hearing the sound from the HA, not the hooks.
Since you're considering the hooks, I'm guessing you have t-coils in your HAs. You could use a neckloop if you don't want the wires hanging from your ears. I have a powered t-coil (CLA7v2) because I found regular neckloops didn't have the strength I needed. There are also bluetooth neckloops.

I have the iCom, but I had to send it back (under warranty, thank goodness) because the wire became frayed. This is why I kept my neckloops and have a t-coil prorgram on my HA...just in case.

I agree that others are hearing the sound from the HA, not the hooks.
Since you're considering the hooks, I'm guessing you have t-coils in your HAs. You could use a neckloop if you don't want the wires hanging from your ears. I have a powered t-coil (CLA7v2) because I found regular neckloops didn't have the strength I needed.

Yes, my HA does have the t-coil, and I do very much prefer the ear hook over the loop because of the signal strength like you said. I also find that how old the HA battery is will also determine how much signal my HA is picking up. A new battery is best used. Even then, the hook has to be precisely placed for best signal reception :P

that's nice and Resound also has the Unite ReSound Unite Accessories
Siemens also has the Tek and the minitek remote :)

Unitron also has the UTV and the UDirect
Starkey has the Surflink media and all of those are like a streamer.

Bose is good. I can plug in everywhere my cellfone, laptop, tv, cpu whatever so on. I like Beats by Dr. Dre is the best one for overall.

Does anyone know of a good earphone-type thingy to attach to HAs for listening to music off a device such as an iPhone? (Or any other device, for that matter?)

Some friends have the "hook" that goes over the ear, but I have seen complaints that hearies can still hear the music coming out. (It could be that volume is an issue with that.)

I'm hoping to find something more like "boots". Any ideas ??

I hated my iPhone earbuds and my cheapo headset so I looked on the web. Since I am deaf in one ear, I looked for a set that would be designed for stereo to mono. I found the Scansound website and ordered like a $30+ pair of mono buds that fit snug and sound amazing. It's not on full blast and it has this depth that I haven't heard before in music. I almost cry when certain things play. I like t-coil but sometimes the interference gets in the way.

I hated my iPhone earbuds and my cheapo headset so I looked on the web. Since I am deaf in one ear, I looked for a set that would be designed for stereo to mono. I found the Scansound website and ordered like a $30+ pair of mono buds that fit snug and sound amazing. It's not on full blast and it has this depth that I haven't heard before in music. I almost cry when certain things play. I like t-coil but sometimes the interference gets in the way.

Do you wear the earbuds/headset in the one ear you can hear in? (And not the other?) I'm trying to figure out how I would use buds with HAs in both ears.

I use the "earhooks"... TecEar's noizfree musiclink. No one at work's ever mentioned anything to me about hearing the music I'm listening to with this set up. My ipod's volume is set right in the middle, sometimes a tad bit more. I don't know if anyone else around me ever hears my music haha.

There's DAI. Get a boot for the HA, and a cord that you can plug into the boot and ipod/mp3 player/whatever. I'd try this again but I don't have the right piece for my hearing aid to do this (I'll have to talk to my audie about this).

I use the "earhooks"... TecEar's noizfree musiclink. No one at work's ever mentioned anything to me about hearing the music I'm listening to with this set up. My ipod's volume is set right in the middle, sometimes a tad bit more. I don't know if anyone else around me ever hears my music haha.

There's DAI. Get a boot for the HA, and a cord that you can plug into the boot and ipod/mp3 player/whatever. I'd try this again but I don't have the right piece for my hearing aid to do this (I'll have to talk to my audie about this).

and DAI stands for direct audio input my peeps :)

Back