Earmold issues

ecp

Reaction score
I guess I'm finally having my first earmolds issues, so I'm lucky that it took this long but...
Last week my left ear developed a sore in the concha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray904.png) and my right ear developed a sore in the external auditory canal (ear canal) at the opening where the tragus and ear canal meet.
The left ear sore isn't bad at all but my right ear aches to the point where I haven't worn my hearing aids (my left ear is useless without my right ear) in a week. There is a palpable bump near the exit of my right ear canal. I've tried hot compresses, neosporin, leaving it alone etc.
Any tips on healing these sores?
I'm sure I need new earmolds but until these heal, getting fitted for new earmolds would be silly.
I've been lucky that I didn't have to work this week but next week I have to wear my hearing aids 8+ hours a day...

When I developed sores with my last earmolds. I had them in both ears which was a nightmare as I couldn't go without both HAs due to work.

I put almond oil on the earmolds before I put them in which meant it wasn't sticking to the sores and making them worse.

Almond oil is good as its not greasy.

I then took them out as soon as I finished work as well.

This is where I got the idea from even tho I bought the almond oil from a health store.
Almond oil - Connevans

Your Audi may be able to file them down some & that may be enough to let the ears heal enough to get your ears "cast" for new ones.

Whenever I get "sores" in my ear its always because my ears for some freaking reason changed. SO - I would find the same spot where sore is and feel the mold where sore spot is. usually I might find a ridge or bump or something. I would take a nail file or fine sandpaper and rub lightly on that darned offending spot. test it. sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to get rid of the pain. Then I use neosporin with pain relief to hurry up the healing and deal with pain better. within a week its all better.

that could be an allergic reaction to your earmolds since I've been here before!
try wearing one of your old earmolds until you're able to get new ones made (that's what I do when that happens)
also don't 4get to let your audi know ASAP!

Thanks guys. I will see my audiologist soon (within the next week). I probably really need new earmolds since mine are 2 years old and hard acrylic, which causes a ton of feedback for me.

If you've had these molds for a while, check how you are storing them and if they got nicked. I would also have the wax in your ears checked out as it is probably pushing the molds into different positions and causing the sores.

I've never heard of a mold going bad other than perhaps the size of your ear changing.

Also, keep your old molds that fit well. Sometimes getting a new mold does not mean it will fit well and you need a backup.

Wax first...

Thanks guys. I will see my audiologist soon (within the next week). I probably really need new earmolds since mine are 2 years old and hard acrylic, which causes a ton of feedback for me.

you're welcome

If you've had these molds for a while, check how you are storing them and if they got nicked. I would also have the wax in your ears checked out as it is probably pushing the molds into different positions and causing the sores.

I've never heard of a mold going bad other than perhaps the size of your ear changing.

Also, keep your old molds that fit well. Sometimes getting a new mold does not mean it will fit well and you need a backup.

Wax first...

One of my personal prides is that don't have crazy earwax. This is awesome because I get grossed out by ear wax (just ask my husband) (and yeah, blood and guts in real life is fine but earwax? Ewwww).
I doubt it is a wax issue but I haven't had new molds in 2+ years.

One of my personal prides is that don't have crazy earwax. This is awesome because I get grossed out by ear wax (just ask my husband) (and yeah, blood and guts in real life is fine but earwax? Ewwww).
I doubt it is a wax issue but I haven't had new molds in 2+ years.

ROFL I get that alot too but when I was at my audi's office last month, she looked in my ears and said that I had so much wax (what the lump?)

speaking of that, I should probably get to cleaning both earmolds this week :shock:

Back