Ear pressure issues

ExR

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently, I've had problems with ear pressure. For example, if I'm driving and if I go up or down a hill, the pressure in my ear will change and I will be unable to hear very well for awhile. Often it's possible to equalise the pressure by swallowing, or by pinching my nose and blowing out. However, it fails to work about 90% of the time, leaving me with even more hearing loss until it eventually restores itself.

Sure, this is normal on planes and most people encounter those symptoms at some point or another. But is it normal to get it all the time on land? I never used to have these issues while on land, but now I can't go anywhere in my car without encountering the problem.

Any ideas?

N.B. my ears are free from infection and I'm not suffering from a cold.

Cheers

ExR

whats the elevation change in hills??? It also happens on the ground.

I used to get them while a child. But now that I drive mountains and such, i don't get it, even on planes.

whats the elevation change in hills??? It also happens on the ground.

I used to get them while a child. But now that I drive mountains and such, i don't get it, even on planes.

Less than 500ft. It started to happen shortly after I started using a mini-BTE instead of a normal BTE (with a fitted ear mould) I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with it, or if it's just a coincidence.

Some people chew on gum to help with ear pressure . I never tried this so I can't say how helpful it is. I was a air plane once and the ear pressure was so painful I was crying. I was given some warm compresses for my ears. I did not want to get ion the plane to go back home , I did better going home.
Have you been to ear doctor to see if they can help you?

do you have allergies? Our son have very bad allergies and he complain about stuffy ears or ears popping when I go visit my dad (over the mountains)

I have bad allergies as well, and it's the same for me.

Another thing to consider is that hearing aid molds sometime cause our earwax to build up and that too can cause stuffy ears.

Some people chew on gum to help with ear pressure . I never tried this so I can't say how helpful it is. I was a air plane once and the ear pressure was so painful I was crying. I was given some warm compresses for my ears. I did not want to get ion the plane to go back home , I did better going home.
Have you been to ear doctor to see if they can help you?

I am guessing you had a cold that day? I had a flying lesson once while I was suffering from a cold and I had that exact same issue, we were only at 3000ft and the pain was unbearable! Good job I wasn't the only one flying the plane!

do you have allergies? Our son have very bad allergies and he complain about stuffy ears or ears popping when I go visit my dad (over the mountains)

I have bad allergies as well, and it's the same for me.

Only hay fever but I haven't really had many symptoms of that this year.

Suffered with this for many years. NOw, I have my ears cleaned and drained of any and all infection every 4-6 months. I can feel the difference!....Also, I do have allergies and sinus problems, (stuffy sinus). Flonese (sp?) helps a lot.....At times, my sinus will drain thru my ears, it causes a lot of pain and dizziness and lots of pressure.

You might want to be careful of not getting any water in ur ears while bathing/washing ur hair also. Ear plugs don't do the job! My doctor told me to use Vaseline wiped in my ear, then plug with cotton. I haven't had an infection since I started doing this, and the pain has lessened a lot.

I did have an MRI this morning on my ears, as the doctor found a polyp in my left ear that is forming....and last night had a very dizzy spell....But everyone is different, only ur doctor knows the best recourse for your problem.

Sometmies I airplane because cause i have feeling whoa balance my ear pressure because pretty solve really it. I have really really pretty sound stress my ear pain for your heard.That is why reason problem!!!

I do get ear pressures, and usually, I couldn't hear with HA, however since I had the CI, I still could hear as per normal with ear pressures.

I get extreme sharp pains in my ears when I am on plane, so I chew chewing gum at take off and before/during landing.. seems to work.

Just been to see my Doctor. He took a look inside and confirmed what I said. The eardrum isn't equalising with the pressure and he said that the drum is "pulled back". It is perfectly clear inside my ear, so I've no idea what caused the problem.

I've been referred to an ENT consultant but given that I live in the UK, I may have to wait awhile.

I'm a bit annoyed really. I'm moving to the other side of the country soon, and I will have to drive a 250 mile round trip (402km) just for an appointment...

Have you tried Sudafed?

It helped me when I was down with a cold and I was traveling on a plane.

Otherwise, chewing gums does help.

Hope the ENT will work out a solution for you. Bummer about the long trip to the appointment down the road.

Just been to see my Doctor. He took a look inside and confirmed what I said. The eardrum isn't equalising with the pressure and he said that the drum is "pulled back". It is perfectly clear inside my ear, so I've no idea what caused the problem.

I've been referred to an ENT consultant but given that I live in the UK, I may have to wait awhile.

I'm a bit annoyed really. I'm moving to the other side of the country soon, and I will have to drive a 250 mile round trip (402km) just for an appointment...

Ask your hosp what's the time scale between now to ENT appt so you get the idea/plan around it. Usually one hospital is quicker than other.

sounds like you could have a eustachian tube dysfunction....and that can lead to big problems...go see an ENT...they can rule out any serious issues.

just saw another one of your post...retracting ear drum BAD JUJU....it can lead to cholesteatomas...which are an evil all unto themselves....make sure they do a cat scan to make sure there isnt one forming in your inner ear...

Hi,

I joined this forum because I saw this post by @ExR. Does anyone know what was wrong with him? I mean specifically with what he was talking about here. It looks like he hasn't been on the forum in years. I am having the same problem. No one seems to have any solutions or even understand what I am talking about. Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Hi,

Recently, I've had problems with ear pressure. For example, if I'm driving and if I go up or down a hill, the pressure in my ear will change and I will be unable to hear very well for awhile. Often it's possible to equalise the pressure by swallowing, or by pinching my nose and blowing out. However, it fails to work about 90% of the time, leaving me with even more hearing loss until it eventually restores itself.

ExR

My ears are similar. It takes about fifty (maybe less) feet of elevation gain to stop my ears up. I can usually un-stop them by moving my jaw from side to side (which looks most unintelligent to passing motorists). Every now and then, like you, I have to pinch my nose.

Back