DVD says CC, but does not have Closed Captioning

To view CC on bluray player - just connect the composite (Yellow, Red, White) cables and use that to view movie ... otherwise if you Bluray player has an S-Video output that will also display CC

The ONLY cables that will display CC are:
Coaxial (like comes out of wall)
Composite (red, white & Yellow)
S-video

This is because the they carry the line that CC is written in.

Other cables like:
Component
HDMI
Optical

do NOT have the line active where the CC is written ... so no matter how you connect it, what box you put it through etc "traditional CC" (like seen on TV programs with blak box & white text) will NOT work.

Unfortunately 99% of the people working at Electronics places including Best Buy, Future Shop, The source, etc ... "big name" places ... NONE of their employees understand how CC works (they will "guess" or outright "lie" because they do not know ... so they just read the manual and the DVD box and say "yes, see it has CC" ... without understanding how CC works!

I recently hooked up my dad's bluray player so that it could do both.

I had HDMI from bluray to TV as input 5 and RCA yellow from bluray to TV as input 4.

I then had RCA red/white from bluray to TV (using 2-way splitter) as input 4 and 5.

Whenever we're watching a DVD, we use input 4. Whenever we're watching a bluray disc, we use input 5. :thumb:

All my older dvd's are CC, no subtitles. Many of them I would like to watch again, but cant with SONY dvd player

All my older dvd's are CC, no subtitles. Many of them I would like to watch again, but cant with SONY dvd player
Which Sony DVD player are you using? Are you sure it's a DVD player and not a Blu-Ray player? (Yes, I know that Blu-Ray players can also play DVDs, but wanted to be sure exactly what kind of player you're using.

What about the television? What kind are you using for that?

Muleman - it's the HDMI cable that's the problem, not your Sony DVD Player. Last year I got a HD TV to replace my old standard 20 year old tv and also a Sony DVD Blu-ray player and was pissed to see I couldn't see the CCs so I researched this and found out it's the HDMI cable that's the issue, it won't transmit the CC from the tv.

Last edited:
Damn. I'm going to have to do real research before I buy a new tv or dvd player to make sure I have access to CC.

I wish I was a tech geek. Oh, man. :(

Simply connect your HDMI wire to laptop/computer then to your TV.
Start the DVD and turn on captions. If your computer came with software then its highly likely there is a caption on/off feature. If not, use Windows Media Player. No need to download unnecessary software or install codecs.

It's sad to see ppl recommending using RCA cables.

Just had the same issue with my new Panasonic BluRay DVD player and Plasma TV. On the DVD player, turn off the "Progressive Output". If you read the book, it clearly says that having Progressive Output on will cause Closed Captions not to display. Go to your BluRay DVD player settings and under video is where this setting is located. Hope this helps everyone.

Oh, if you use an HDMI cable - it blocks the captioning feature of the tv from being passed on to the dvd player. it sucks. happy that my satellite box has its own captioning feature.

Ok I have random question....

I put on DVD last night, go subtitles it list: English, English (for the hearing impaired). There a difference?!?!?!?!?!?

I put on DVD last night, go subtitles it list: English, English (for the hearing impaired). There a difference?!?!?!?!?!?

CC for hearing impaired will give more details such as description of sound.

[door chiming]
[door knocking]
[heavy footsteps]

English Subtitle is typically for foreigners wanting to learn English

CC for hearing impaired will give more details such as description of sound.

[door chiming]
[door knocking]
[heavy footsteps]

English Subtitle is typically for foreigners wanting to learn English

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...thank you! I was wondering :lol:

It's usually called SDH, Subtitles for Deaf and Hard of hearing. Sometimes it has a black background and sometimes it doesn't. You should notice it on the back of DVD cover. What Jiro said is right but it's not CC, Closed Captioned.

For example; at the bottom of the back cover, it shows "SDH".

918heCi23uL._AA1500_.jpg

I HATE SDH or Subtitle but I LOVE CLOSED CAPTION, you don't understand

CC / Closed Caption can help you for your vision, they have change size, font, non soild or ssolid,

SDH IS NOPE! I sick "yellow" and very small font, can't change any

I want BACK CC SDH IS QUIT!

I know people love SDH that correct english than CC. becuase they don't understand, CC makr short messsageto understand and read but SDH is more english message too fast next message, lot of miss message

I have the same problem towards this at school alot lately. My cooking class watches unwrapped from time-to-time whenever we don't have anything to do really. The DVD box says it has CC, but when we tried going into the menu there was no setup menu on the DVD, just the play button, and the scenes selection menu and that's basically it. Then i thought, "oh i'll just turn the CC on through the remote" I did that, and the tv screen says "not available". I was confused, if the box said CC then it should be able to work. Then i realized, the school gave me a closed caption decoder but then again, i realized that the DVD is plugged into the overhead that most classrooms have today. And it would take half of the class period to figure out how to plug it in than your normal television set. So then i gave up. My interpreter was interpreting the dvd but it was too fast for her to catch up to the video. I was disappointed with current DVDs. Plus, my english class, she has video tapes for us to watch and her videos were developed maybe in the 60s or 70s and I thought that even with the caption decoder, it will still be able to show the captions. but nope. Not all of them. I always make sure that the DVD has CC or subtitles on the box first. It just disappoints me that sometimes companies don't think about us and thinks about other people with other languages..

As for me, I would buy/rent BDs instead of DVDs (480i/p) because BDs have the highest resolution (1080p). I don't care about no CC. I am fine with subtitles.

Last edited:
I had set up my HDTV with my Blu-Ray player. Whatever I play a movie, it automatically went to HDMI 1 setting. If it is SDH, no problem. If it is CC and it won't show on HDMI 1, I have to use the remote to switch it to Video 2 for it to show CC. Video 1 is used for my VP.

Keep reading your tv manual book and check the back of TV. I hope you will figure out a way to watch those CC movies.

I had set up my HDTV with my Blu-Ray player. Whatever I play a movie, it automatically went to HDMI 1 setting. If it is SDH, no problem. If it is CC and it won't show on HDMI 1, I have to use the remote to switch it to Video 2 for it to show CC. Video 1 is used for my VP.

Keep reading your tv manual book and check the back of TV. I hope you will figure out a way to watch those CC movies.
In addition to your post above, video composite (yellow RCA) or S-video if available is the only way to carry "invisible" CC to the TV with CC turned on when a DVD is played via BD player if the DVD contains CC. Unfortunately, the output would be 480i.

No... S-Video, Component video and video composite won't work CC on 480p to 1080p, only switch 480i alone had CC

In addition to your post above, video composite (yellow RCA) or S-video if available is the only way to carry "invisible" CC to the TV with CC turned on when a DVD is played via BD player if the DVD contains CC. Unfortunately, the output would be 480i.

No... S-Video, Component video and video composite won't work CC on 480p to 1080p, only switch 480i alone had CC
That's what I said. Please re-read my post. I talked about composite video/S-video cables that deliver 480i only so that CC can be displayed on a DVD movie from a BD player.

Back