• Private Driver's education classes outside the public school system

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Driver's education classes back in the school system, after school hours

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fly Free

Reaction score
After making a post in another thread, it occurred to me to start a new thread discussing teens and driving school --

today in many states the teens get their driving "lessons" from private driving schools and i think it is BULLSHIT -- driving classes should be put BACK into the school system as an after school class so that way the kids would put in an ENTIRE semester learning to drive as opposed to a mere 10 hrs of driving time plus some hours for classroom time in a private driving school qq thats a load of crap and too many teens are getting serious injuries or even killed on the highways

i realize its all cuz of insurance, liabilities and shit -- but if the adults and the parents would advocate having their kids take an ENTIRE semester of driving class they should be willing to waive some liability (in event of accidents), have their own insurance cover their kid and all that IMO -- i would do that for my kid if i had one so i can be SURE that my child had spent an entire semester to study and have additional hours of driving practice, learn the ropes of defensive driving and etc etc

what are ur thoughts to this topic q

i will also be having a poll as well!

MODS: it MAY become a debate issue -- if it does, u can move it to the on-topic debate section if u feel its more appropriate there -- thanks!

Fly Free said:
After making a post in another thread, it occurred to me to start a new thread discussing teens and driving school --

today in many states the teens get their driving "lessons" from private driving schools and i think it is BULLSHIT -- driving classes should be put BACK into the school system as an after school class so that way the kids would put in an ENTIRE semester learning to drive as opposed to a mere 10 hrs of driving time plus some hours for classroom time in a private driving school qq thats a load of crap and too many teens are getting serious injuries or even killed on the highways

i realize its all cuz of insurance, liabilities and shit -- but if the adults and the parents would advocate having their kids take an ENTIRE semester of driving class they should be willing to waive some liability (in event of accidents), have their own insurance cover their kid and all that IMO -- i would do that for my kid if i had one so i can be SURE that my child had spent an entire semester to study and have additional hours of driving practice, learn the ropes of defensive driving and etc etc

what are ur thoughts to this topic q

i will also be having a poll as well!

MODS: it MAY become a debate issue -- if it does, u can move it to the on-topic debate section if u feel its more appropriate there -- thanks!

I did not *know* that Drivers ED has been taken out of the school system. Doesn't *really* surprise me, either. Personally, I agree with you.

Yes Oceanbreeze -- its true at least for the MCPS (Montgomery County Public Schools) in MD

Fly Free said:
Yes Oceanbreeze -- its true at least for the MCPS (Montgomery County Public Schools) in MD

Well, like I said..I agree with you....I think a lot of it has to do with budgetary concerns that the schools also have. Along with the other things you mentioned. I wonder when they stopped Drivers ED? I know they last had it around 1990 or so when my sister and I took the course. It was offered as a summer school course, I believe. That is how I took it, anyway....Wonder when it changed?

FYI:

I graduated from HS in 1987. My sister graduated in 1990 from PG Co. (two different schools...We were rivals! lol)

it changed sometime in the early 90s due to liability issues plus budget cuts -- they chose to cut the class out to save $$

i too took drivers education class at MSSD during my time as well as did my sister who went to a public school now closed

I do remmy my school didn't charge my legal guardian any cent for taking Driver Education class I took during my time from TexasSD.

Plus Driving training/observation at very same school during summer school. Sound fun!

I took driver's ed in high school (I graduated in 2000). But it was not required, but optional. I needed the credit hours so I took it. I only got to drive like 2 times for 30 mins each though. It was a pretty big class so we all had to take turns.

Drivers ed SHOULD be in schools! I took a WHOLE semster on the classes and every wed i had drivers edcuation i had the WHOLE 2 semsters of that, first was the written test in which I went thru intenstive lecturing all thru the semster, then 2nd semster i went thru drivers ed on the outside then 3rd semster i had the road test and got my drivers licence so in other words, ONE FULL Y R OF SCHOOL... tho i was a speed demon, at least i understood the ramifcations of safety issues fixing and maintaince and amongest other things too.. So it was a lesson within a lesson. and im glad i spent the whole school yr thru this. and it SHOULD be a full yr this will reduce accidents and etc. most of my accidents were fender benders.. and that was it.. * knock on wood*

I took drivers ed in SEARS Driving School. My friend took drivers ed in high school. I completed drivers ed in 2 weeks. She completed drivers ed in 18 weeks. I got 100 on my driving test. She got 90 on her driving test. I drive better than she does. She freaks out easily and drives too slow.

Overall, I think that it should be private. When it's done at school, kids may not take it seriously because they try acting macho in front of their friends. In private, it's people from different parts of the city... so almost everyone is a stranger to each other. :thumb:

I took private driving school classes. Where I went at SEARS Driver Education in Irving, Texas. It was fine with me and deafies went there. Some went to high school for driving education but they failed at first time.... they passed 2nd time. I did passed once at SEARS. :D

I didn't take driver education class at school, my step mom taught me how to drive....

Edit opps. I forgot to add my opinion on the above question, umm since my high school did have the driver education program but the school didn't put me in that program and some of my Deaf friends did have that driver education class ...It's didn't really bother me since my step mom is a teacher at a different high school even tho I didn't get to be picked into that program at school...:)

Last edited:
Hmmm....I have to think about that one. I never attended a high school drivers ed, or a private one, so I really don't know which is better. My daughter's school didn't offer drivers ed, so my hubby taught her to drive. My hubby took drivers ed in public school in Michigan, but he learned some bad habits in that class. (I mean bad driving habits, ha, ha.)

I had a driver school course during my Junior year at CSDB, then after that it was stopped cuz the deaf instructor retired so... I dunno afterward

We don't have driving schools here. We have to phone up for an Instructor and arrange the first lesson, they come to your house with the car and we learn to drive around our town. It took me about a year to pass my driving.

Do you have to do a theory test as well?

^Angel^ said:
I didn't take driver education class at school, my step mom taught me how to drive....

Edit opps. I forgot to add my opinion on the above question, umm since my high school did have the driver education program but the school didn't put me in that program and some of my Deaf friends did have that driver education class ...It's didn't really bother me since my step mom is a teacher at a different high school even tho I didn't get to be picked into that program at school...:)

Likewise me too, My Step mother taught me how to drive a year or two after both of my sisters learned to drive, I was mostly scared of driving I dunno why. But, I learned to drive at 21 believe it. And got a brand new car too at 21. :mrgreen:

I did not know about the school withdraw driving class out of the school system, I think they should have it there still, Because this is 2004 most teen would want to learn to drive and get on the roads. Like my brother who he learned how to drive through his mother like we did. She much a good driver ed teacher. LOL!

My son took a drive education class at Public School during the summer time. It was very strict because the teacher gave the students quiz every other day for two weeks. It cost me $385 dollars for 35 hours. He had been driven my car with me for about three months. He had road test with State Police. Of course, he was so nervous and parnaoid. He thinks, he would fail the road test but he passed 98 %. He was so thrilled to get a driver license.

His insurance wavier $350 dollars a year because he takes a driving education class which it helps me alot. He got new used car 2002 dodge neon. I am more relaxing because I need my car very often.

His insurance premium is really killing me!!!!

My hubby told me that his drivers ed at school was free. Of course, that really means tax payers paid for it . :)

When I was 22 years old, I got the driving manual from the DMV to study for the written test so I could get a learner's permit. The Navy offered a free class in driving military trucks, so I took that class to learn the basics of shifting and driving a clunky truck on an abandoned air field. Then I bought a used VW for practice driving. Then I took the test for my permanent license. It took a few months doing it that way. I guess it worked because I never got a ticket in over 30 years of driving.

My daughter attended private Christian school so there was no drivers ed available. My hubby taught her how to drive the car. My daughter went to DMV and got the rule book to study herself. No tickets in 15 years.

The only member of our family who got lots of speeding tickets was my hubby, and he is the one who took real drivers ed at school. So I don't know if that proves anything, ha, ha.

Reba said:
The only member of our family who got lots of speeding tickets was my hubby, and he is the one who took real drivers ed at school. So I don't know if that proves anything, ha, ha.

I got a real driver ed at my school, I got into 4 accidents, 2 at fault, and 2 speeding ticket, I dont think it proves anything but it's individuality and it depend on where you live and how the community or city affect you.. I got the highest score to pass the driving course with a police, I was flawless but shit happens :wiggle:

I believe private training is far better than High School's driving course. It is all about moral and experiences. I went to my high school’s driving program (CSDF) to meet California’s DMV requirement for license under 18 years old. I was 17 and half at that time. I had to show up 1 hour before my school begins and it is like 7am and school start 8am. I went to driving program class and my instructor just show us the 1975s videos about behind the wheel. It was JOKE! That video is outdated with our traffic system. It explained about seat belting and driving defensive. So I had to show up for the requirements, anyway.

I believe private training for driving program is best. I always wanted to go BMW driving school to learn how to drive car very well in any crisis which high school driving program that do not offered. I am investing my money to go to BMW driving school and all experiencing crisis on road program. In addition, there are many different kind of private program to train our drivers to be a best driver. For example, my auto-body teacher went to one of private driving training at north of San Francisco. He learned many things about driving high speed on the wet. He learned how to control when he was on the black-ice road, spinning and with no control of braking. He experienced safe car crash just for experiences. He also experienced from drinking and driving with the instructor inside the car. He understood all the dangers by himself experiencing those entire things. It cost few hundred dollars but worth for lifetime, experience. Do you think High School will let to do all that? Obviously, no because of short money and teacher’s fear. In other point, the high school instructor will only do his job while us being parent will do our job and make sure that they are ready for any unexpected on the road. I believe that is why many of our parents at America, do not teach their kids to drive from A to Z. I strongly support to create a law that bans any underage of 18 years old to drive behind the wheel. It is very reasonable law.

Back