Drivers at UPS

Plenty of deafies work as cashier in this town! They don't have plm with them at all. I think, if we refused to hire deafies then nobody would get exposed and learn about deafies. Deaf world is NOT going to go away.

I think it is TIME for education that deafies CAN drive. Lemme ask you, can you give me documented history that deafies would cause accidents and injuries because they can't hear. On other hand, can you show me evidence that because one is ability means 100% accident free?

I can bet ya all that none of you can come up with these documented evidences.

Taylor said:
I'm not saying anything bad about this and can't say deaf people cannot drive UPS trucks, but what is the general rule when it comes to deaf and interacting with public in a job that is dealing with the general public?
For instance, would it be difficult for a deaf person to be a cashier in a retail store? I know it would be difficult for a deaf person to do my job, not because they aren't qualified, but just dealing with the public on a daily basis can be a chore.

I'm worried this question will come out the wrong way, and I hope it is taken the way I've intended.

ups is not a bad place to work.. i am a current ups employee and almost work for a year now. I think i will apply to become a driver now.. knowing i cna do it for sure. i have already done driver helper. Its fun.. even tho i do occasionally have to have them repeat thier name or type it in for me cuz i cant read thier scribble heh... DEAFIES, just do ur job and have ur union help if u have problems at work. I may be doing that myself, cuz my supervisor.. ugh. HATE him.. hes rude and insulting. what makes it worse, i grew up, buy my soccer gear and school shoes from him. Cant be mad and yell at him. O WELL, one year and i will move onto driver! :) either that or quit after christmas and find day job as i am pre load now..
cant stand working 3 am to 8 30ish

I wotrked at UPS in 1995 loading and unloading packages at a hub. I tried to apply for driving job and they showed me the Federal law about being able to hear at a certain level. He didn't say anything about a UPS rule. I already had a CDL class B license, but could not pass the hearing requirement,

This thread is old, but has anyone heard of any Deaf actually being hired to drive for UPS.

Hmm .. quite a concidence about these Hoosiers! I was a native Hoosier and grew up there.

One of ISD graduates named David actually drives FedEx truck van (not semi-truck) working in the Indy area in fact.

He fought them in the court that took some time, but he won the case and drives as a deliever for FedEx. True!

Even the same with another I.S.D. graduate named Brian who drives a semi-truck only for the regional area .. true! He also fought that in the court and won.

Maybe it only happens in Indiana, I wonder.

I know you may laugh at me but these are very rock hard-fact! Certain deaf people can deliever, really!

Nice to know but unfortunately the UPS around here only hire for part time. I need full time work... unless the money was good enough to only work part time.

SpiritOfTheWolf said:
Nice to know but unfortunately the UPS around here only hire for part time. I need full time work... unless the money was good enough to only work part time.

UPS pays you good money working as a part-time driver. I was told that it paid $16 an hour back in the late 90s. By now I don't know how much it pays.

By the way I have heard several lawsuits against UPS by deaf employees done not long ago and they won. I'm glad for that to occur in order to make them more job opportunities for the deaf.

I never seen small trucks with UPS logo on it. Mostly I see are the big brown vans zooming around the city. Are they pick-up trucks they're talking about since they said "small trucks".

sequoias said:
I never seen small trucks with UPS logo on it. Mostly I see are the big brown vans zooming around the city. Are they pick-up trucks they're talking about since they said "small trucks".

Yep, they delivery packages for priority overnight only. They do not delivery Ground shipments...

Mookie said:
Yep, they delivery packages for priority overnight only. They do not delivery Ground shipments...

Ah all right got it

I realized this is an super old post 15 years ago from the last post but does anyone here is actually a full time package car deaf drivers (I'm not talking about deaf preloaders or shifters...but a REAL deaf ups package car drivers or even feeders that wears brown uniforms). I have found couple more deaf ups drivers and I'm a deaf ups driver as well and we are all together on Facebook group page called Deaf UPS Drivers...do a search on it. Let me know!

Back