Drivers at UPS

Christer

Active Member
Deaf People can work as Drivers at UPS

James Stone (ISD 1984) wants to let you all know that deaf people can work as drivers at the United Parcel Service. In the trial, Bates vs. UPS, the court said that the UPS no longer can bar deaf people from driving the smaller vehicles. By Novemeber 20, 2004, UPS must change its policy and test every deaf applicant for his.her driving record to see if they can drive small trucks for UPS. They can no longer tell deaf employees they cannot drive small trucks! Current deaf employyes at UPS can fill out a bid form for a driving position and submit the bid form to the Human Resources ADA representative in the personnel office.


*ISD=Indiana School for the Deaf
 

Brian

New Member
That's cool... Is there any news source that may back this up? I've been reading the Atlanta papers every day, they'd have something on this in the papers since UPS' corporate headquarters is based here.
 

Taylor

New Member
I'm not saying anything bad about this and can't say deaf people cannot drive UPS trucks, but what is the general rule when it comes to deaf and interacting with public in a job that is dealing with the general public?
For instance, would it be difficult for a deaf person to be a cashier in a retail store? I know it would be difficult for a deaf person to do my job, not because they aren't qualified, but just dealing with the public on a daily basis can be a chore.

I'm worried this question will come out the wrong way, and I hope it is taken the way I've intended.
 

nozobo

Active Member
everyone's encouraged to speak opinions...

does it mean deaf must work in a deaf job and hearing work their own job... deaf want to strive better and be excellent to do what they can do. I used to be a pizza delivery driver, I dont find any differences on deaf wanting to be a UPS drivers... I'm deaf myself and was cashier for 2 year and 6 month at two different retail stores and now I got promotion to accounting. I dont see anything wrong with deaf wanting to do any job... When there's a way, there's always a way...
 
D

Deaf258

Guest
I used to be a cashier. I used to teach ASL at a high school and community college (noncredit courses). I used to run an arcade for less than a couple years. The world record for a lifeguard saving most lives on duty is held by a Deaf man in Texas. Deaf people are so cabable. It's the hearing population in general who are afraid someone "disabled" would perform better than they could, so the Deaf potentials get oppressed by the hearing people.
 

Taylor

New Member
Thanks for the replies and I'm glad you took my question the right way. I just wanted to note that my comment was in fact a question and not an objection to the deaf working. I am not deaf so I cannot feel what it would be like to work a job such as retail. Every deaf person I've come in contact with has always done a remarkable job in communicating even though the lack of skill was on my part. Between the two of us, it would work. I was just curious as to how difficult it is to be deaf and in a public job such as retail or UPS. To be honest, I don't communicate with the UPS guy a whole lot. I order a lot of stuff...he comes says Hi...and I sign that magical tablet with that magical pen. Sometimes we'll talk weather or something but not that often.
 

downing

New Member
did you notice that ups man driver always bring clipboard to you and sign the name, simple. they always have paper and pen, communication shouldn't be a issue here.
 

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
downing said:
did you notice that ups man driver always bring clipboard to you and sign the name, simple. they always have paper and pen, communication shouldn't be a issue here.

Actually, they use computers for you to sign onto now instead of clipboards in my city.
 

Christer

Active Member
are y'all surprised that they offered deaf can driving UPS? I would work at UPS but conflict I have a job and going college soon.
 

Mizzou

New Member
Yes I would be able to drive UPS when I get back to my strong again.. I was former UPS employor and wanting go back soon. I know about that and I get this letter from UPS about suing and allow deafies driving. :)
 

KittyKity

New Member
I used to work at FedEx Ground as outbond and inbound loader... Nice pay but I am looking for a better job, am working on to get one at UPS since they offers much better benfits than the FexEx..... Let's hope!
 

PeteEMT

New Member
One of UPS Drivers efficiency measurements is how fast/how many deliveries they can make in a day. My UPS Driver practices "ring and run", usually the Truck is starting back up before Ive even got my shoes on.
I don't think writing would work well in this situation.

To answer Taylor's question: This is just my opinion for me, I don't lipread well and if I had to interact with the public every day on a "talking" basis I'd stress about it constantly. Matter of fact I avoid it when I can and like to order things online because I don't have to talk to anyone.
 

Nesmuth

New Member
KittyKity said:
I used to work at FedEx Ground as outbond and inbound loader... Nice pay but I am looking for a better job, am working on to get one at UPS since they offers much better benfits than the FexEx..... Let's hope!

Hang onto your Fedex for now till UPS cleans it up

Richard
 

C.C.Sinned

New Member
Taylor said:
I'm not saying anything bad about this and can't say deaf people cannot drive UPS trucks, but what is the general rule when it comes to deaf and interacting with public in a job that is dealing with the general public?
For instance, would it be difficult for a deaf person to be a cashier in a retail store? I know it would be difficult for a deaf person to do my job, not because they aren't qualified, but just dealing with the public on a daily basis can be a chore.

I'm worried this question will come out the wrong way, and I hope it is taken the way I've intended.

I worked with FedEx. I have done most of the jobs they offer. Working Deliveries & PickUps for FedEx daily for years. I had no problems dealing with the public. It all comes down to attitude and custumer relations. It was a awesome job. Where else can a guy like me. Get paid to drive around & meet women. I was in paradise... :thumb:
 
D

Deaf258

Guest
C.C.Sinned said:
I worked with FedEx. I have done most of the jobs they offer. Working Deliveries & PickUps for FedEx daily for years. I had no problems dealing with the public. It all comes down to attitude and custumer relations. It was a awesome job. Where else can a guy like me. Get paid to drive around & meet women. I was in paradise... :thumb:

Bet you delivered protection! :naughty:

I still haven't met a Deaf UPS driver yet, so I am not going to believe there are Deaf UPS drivers until I personally meet them!
 
A

apathrev

Guest
As a former employee of UPS and as big mouthed as I am, I feel obligated to chime in. There is nothing about the job of a UPS package cart driver that would prevent them from being able to perform the job in its fullest extent. You go in for a presort meeting before the day starts, then you're out on the road all day. This actually upsets me that UPS had this rule before the court ruling. UPS is a good company to work for. Good benefits, good pay, and it looks good on a resume. But now hearing this, it kind of makes me rethink that.

During my tenure at UPS, I supervised a deaf person, and I felt sorry that she wouldn't have as many oppurtunities as everyone else she worked with.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
Nice to hear that news! Wondering what about the CDL license? Currently they won't hand out CDL drivers license to deafies! I think it is time for court to hear this case. I don't think deafies is too disabled to drive 18 wheelers! I would understand for these HAZ-MAT but for everyday 18 wheeler hauls I don't think hearing is THAT important. Just CB talk is whats left out. Im not looking for CDL license for myself. I have lead foot, so not worth the risk in collecting speeding tickets. I DO advocate any deafies who might want to. My dad have almost ALL kinds of license including school bus and HAZ-MAT. He told me that working for these trucking company and UPS really SUCKS!!! He was supervisor at UPS, and he hates UPS. Now working as driver for one of carrier.
 

diehardbiker

Active Member
Sure, that really bothers me, howcome you didn't give this deaf person chance with more opportunity? What STOPS you from giving him or her opportunity?

From my experience, I was supressed from available opportunities. This leads me to lose my loyality to my former employer and to the end, I screwed up with them. They blamed everything on me, now that I no longer work for them. I am MUCH glad that I left them! The sad truth is that if they had given me opportunity to expand my experience, I MIGHT be real asset to them. I had near perfect attendace, screwing up valued employer just because of deafness is STUPIDIEST, IGNORANT anyone ever did!

As of right now, I am unemployed and MIGHT have job anytime soon. Have an offer already and it is NOT offically started yet. Other company MIGHT call me this week to offer me one. Who knows? I do EXPECT that I would grow within company, not just place me in a position and stick there for 20 years!

cental34 said:
During my tenure at UPS, I supervised a deaf person, and I felt sorry that she wouldn't have as many oppurtunities as everyone else she worked with.
 
A

apathrev

Guest
I wasn't the one who offered the oppurtunity. I didn't make the choices of who gets promoted or transferred to a new area. That is the sort manager's decision. I was just a lowly supervisor, and only for 4 months, at that.
 

pgatourejones

New Member
where the application provide fopr deaf driver UPS??

Christo said:
Deaf People can work as Drivers at UPS

James Stone (ISD 1984) wants to let you all know that deaf people can work as drivers at the United Parcel Service. In the trial, Bates vs. UPS, the court said that the UPS no longer can bar deaf people from driving the smaller vehicles. By Novemeber 20, 2004, UPS must change its policy and test every deaf applicant for his.her driving record to see if they can drive small trucks for UPS. They can no longer tell deaf employees they cannot drive small trucks! Current deaf employyes at UPS can fill out a bid form for a driving position and submit the bid form to the Human Resources ADA representative in the personnel office.


*ISD=Indiana School for the Deaf
I want to know where can I apply for UPS driver??
 
Top