Drive thru

Megs

Reaction score
Do deaf people order through the drive thru? If so, how? Just curious what my future holds. I travel a lot and I love Sonic drinks.

if they're closed for dine-in where I want to pick up and to go. Then I have to take drive-thry to order. Like it or not, they do their jobs. I pay for it.

Sonic... ughh, some good and bad, they are confuse when I play around with beep to get their ass come here and take my order.

I like sonic too!!! Just go through the drive up window and give a written order that you had prepared earlier. At mine, they get to know me and almost can tell what i want to order. The more you use any business the more they give better service. After all they are there to please you, and want your $$$$

Erm it's a pretty hard thing to do for someone who doesn't talk...therefore I don't use drive-thru :)

I use the drive thru, but I don't order at the microphone. There are sign that say, "Deaf or Hard of Hearing, please pull to 1st window for ordering."

It would be good idea to have your orders ready before you go to the drive-thru window. Let them know you are deaf/hard-of-hearing. :)

You could suggest your favorite chains to check out DeafDriveThru.

I tend have the paper written down...and hand to the cashier to order my food. So far it worked out fine for me. :)

I use the drivethru as much as I eat inside. It depends on my mood or whatever.

I've never really had problems with the drivethru, just a few times and it was not because of me.

For instance, I ordered bean burritos without onions and they got that order... but when I got the order, they forgot to not add onions.

Rarely, I will have a speaker that I can't understand. When that happens, I go to the window and make my order there.

I try not to eat places with a drive-thru, but when I do go places with one, I go inside. I never realized I could just pull up to the window to order. I have tried the drive-thru in the past, but between my hearing and the accents that most of the employees near my house have, I can't do it. Going inside I just easier to me.

I noticed that if you are in an area with high deaf population, there will be a sticker in the drive thru window with deaf/hoh symbol. Now, how do you supposed to find it unless you try driving up to that window ?! They don't even post it on the outside menu. I also noticed if you drive 40 minutes away from that particular fast food restaurant, there won't be a sticker in the window and driving up to the pay window will either get you a blank stare or pissed attitude.

Its soooo much easier just go inside and order. this way if something is wrong with the order, I can bark my head off to get it fixed :lol: Even with written notes with EXACTLY what you want still sometimes get a mixup or screwup. It's not worth getting high blood pressure over so you got a choice, live with the screwed up order or ask for a replacement with a smile.

min wage = $hitty service.

Hey all i have a new one for you. How many complain to the manager or headquarters when the dinning room/lobby is closed before the stated hour??? Often i go and sit inside and know when to expect them to close at a certain time but once in awhile they shut and lock the door early. Then i make it a point to "speak" with management asap and the problem gets fixed.usually get free food for a complaint too!!!

My son usually asks for what we want from the front passenger seat, he has very good hearing. All I have to do is hand the money over. Kevin.

Last night I went to Taco Bell and used the drive-thru with the list in my hand ready. The girl was nice, but they didn't follow my instruction that I didn't want dressing sauce on the chicken and beef burritos.

I tossed the burritos away and ate two hard-shelled tacos that didn't have dressing sauce on them.

I don't think I will be doing the drive-thrus again!

My son usually asks for what we want from the front passenger seat, he has very good hearing. All I have to do is hand the money over. Kevin.

haha thats sweet of your boy. I have not expereince like this yet. My kids are still small and i am not ready. They did order for themselve but not for me.

When I was young, I must stick to my street car, LOL... and at present days, I don't mind drive-thru but I like it more when I walk in for three reasons.

1. Exercise
2. Save your gas, save the environment
3. Make sure the order is correct even you have had it on paper. If you leave the place in the car you are hitting the road with the food you don't want.

When I go to Sonic, I just park in and push the button.. if there is no skater around. They start to notice I am not responding, sometimes it made them think the speaker broke. :lol: I told them to come here so I can hand them the list of the order. But if it is so nice outside and that place have clean table, I sure will get out of the car so they can serve the table.

Last night I went to Taco Bell and used the drive-thru with the list in my hand ready. The girl was nice, but they didn't follow my instruction that I didn't want dressing sauce on the chicken and beef burritos.

I tossed the burritos away and ate two hard-shelled tacos that didn't have dressing sauce on them.

I don't think I will be doing the drive-thrus again!

I think it's a "Taco Bell' thing. I love Taco Bell, but the one near my home gets something wrong nearly every time I go through the drive-thru. I know it's not because of me, it's them, because they were doing this long before my hearing loss started :laugh2:

It's funny you guys mentioning Sonic. We don't have them where I live, but I see a million ads for them on TV, so when we passed one on vacation in Fl last year, we went. I could not hear a doggone thing from the squak box (the order box, it was all like squak squak squak to me) and got an order that was not quite what I tried to order. I still don't know if it was because of my (then-unknown) hearing, or if the lady on the other end was hearing squak :lol: too!

i go to both in store and drive thru. at the drive through just drive past speaker and stop at window, if ur not vocal then just hand them a written out order exactly how u would want it. At sonic where u push the little button to order on teh newer ones they light up and then when they talk to tak ur order the light will go off when u know when to talk just say i am deaf and need my order taken in person please or just say can someone come to the car please, dont worry about a response enough times clicking the button or wait long enough someone will come to ur car, order then. My hearing friend told me about the light trick on the button. for the sonics that have the old metal button it wont work, just hit the button and wait, someone comes to ur car eventually or just wave down someone who is taking ordrs out to cars and u can give them ur order on paper if you dont voice. the deaf should not avoid drive thrus, the more we use them the higher the demand goes for the fast food industry to come up with a better way for the deaf to use drive thrus! in fact we should start a petition to make this happen especially for places like sonic who dont have drive windows! ya know!!!

or, have a hearing person order from the passanger seat! haha, its funny yall say that cuz my poor little nephew at 8yrs od had to learn fast if he wanted drive thru he had to tell me what they said word for word, hes a pro at it now though! haha

Back