Drawing Blood Will Help Stop Drunk Driving, Police Say

pek1

Reaction score
Drawing Blood Will Help Stop Drunk Driving, Police Say - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

Sunday, September 13, 2009

BOISE, Idaho — When police officer Darryll Dowell is on patrol in the southwestern Idaho city of Nampa, he'll pull up at a stoplight and usually start casing the vehicle. Nowadays, his eyes will also focus on the driver's arms, as he tries to search for a plump, bouncy vein.

"I was looking at people's arms and hands, thinking, 'I could draw from that,'" Dowell said.

It's all part of training he and a select cadre of officers in Idaho and Texas have received in recent months to draw blood from those suspected of drunken or drugged driving. The federal program's aim is to determine if blood draws by cops can be an effective tool against drunk drivers and aid in their prosecution.

If the results seem promising after a year or two, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will encourage police nationwide to undergo similar training.

For years, defense attorneys in Idaho advised clients to always refuse breath tests, Ada County Deputy Prosecutor Christine Starr said. When the state toughened the penalties for refusing the tests a few years ago, the problem lessened, but it's still the main reason that drunk driving cases go to trial in the Boise region, Starr said.

Idaho had a 20 percent breath test refusal rate in 2005, compared with 22 percent nationally, according to an NHTSA study.

Starr hopes the new system will cut down on the number of drunken driving trials. Officers can't hold down a suspect and force them to breath into a tube, she noted, but they can forcefully take blood — a practice that's been upheld by Idaho's Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court.

The nation's highest court ruled in 1966 that police could have blood tests forcibly done on a drunk driving suspect without a warrant, as long as the draw was based on a reasonable suspicion that a suspect was intoxicated, that it was done after an arrest and carried out in a medically approved manner.

The practice of cops drawing blood, implemented first in 1995 in Arizona, has also raised concerns about safety and the credibility of the evidence.

"I would imagine that a lot of people would be wary of having their blood drawn by an officer on the hood of their police vehicle," said Steve Oberman, chair of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers' DUI Committee.

The officer phlebotomists are generally trained under the same program as their state's hospital or clinical phlebotomists, but they do it under a highly compressed schedule, and some of the curriculum is cut.

That's because officers don't need to know how to draw blood from a foot or other difficult sites, or from an infant or medically fragile patient, said Nicole Watson, the College of Western Idaho phlebotomy instructor teaching the Idaho officers.

Instead, they are trained on the elbow crease, the forearm and the back of the hand. If none are accessible, they'll take the suspect to the hospital for testing.

In a nondescript Boise office building where the Nampa officers were trained, Dowell scanned his subject and prepared to draw blood. Chase Abston, an officer taking his turn playing a suspect, recoiled a bit, pressing his back deeper into the gray pleather chair.

Dowell slid a fine-gauge needle into the back of Abston's hand. Abston, who had been holding his breath, slowly exhaled as his blood began to flow.

All the officers seemed like they'd be more comfortable if their colleagues were wielding sidearms instead of syringes. But halfway through the second day of training, with about 10 venipunctures each under their belts, they relaxed enough to trade barbs alongside needle jabs.

They're making quick progress, Watson said. Their training will be complete after they have logged 75 successful blood draws.

Once they're back on patrol, they will draw blood of any suspected drunk driver who refuses a breath test. They'll use force if they need to, such as getting help from another officer to pin down a suspect and potentially strap them down, Watson said.

Though most legal experts agree blood tests measure blood alcohol more accurately than breath tests, Oberman said the tests can be fraught with problems, too.

Vials can be mixed up, preservative levels in the tubes used to collect the blood can be off, or the blood can be stored improperly, causing it to ferment and boosting the alcohol content.

Oberman said law enforcement agencies should also be concerned "about possible malpractice cases over somebody who was not properly trained."

Alan Haywood, Arizona's law enforcement phlebotomy coordinator who is directing the training programs in Idaho and Texas, said officers are exposed to some extra on-the-job risk if they draw blood, but that any concern is mitigated by good training and safe practices.

"If we can't get the evidence safely, we're not going to endanger the officers or the public to collect that evidence," he said.

The Phoenix Police Department only uses blood tests for impaired driving cases. Detective Kemp Layden, who oversees drug recognition, phlebotomy and field sobriety, said the city now has about 120 officers certified to draw blood. Typically, a suspect is brought to a precinct or mobile booking van for the blood draw.

Under the state's implied consent law, drivers who refuse to voluntarily submit to the test lose their license for a year, so most comply. For the approximately 5 percent who refuse, the officer obtains a search warrant from an on-call judge and the suspect can be restrained if needed to obtain a sample, Layden said.

Between 300 to 400 blood tests are done in an average month in the nation's fifth-largest city.

During holiday months that number can rise to 500, said Layden, who reviews each case to make sure legal procedures were followed.

Outside of Arizona, some law enforcement agencies in Utah have officer phlebotomists, and police in Dalworthington Gardens, Texas are cross-trained as paramedics and have been drawing blood for about three years. The NHTSA is in talks with Houston, Texas about doing the phlebotomy training there, he said.

They're all attracted by Arizona's anecdotal evidence.

"What we found was that the refusal rates of chemical testing lowered significantly since this program began," Haywood said. "Arizona we had about a 20 percent refusal rate in 1995, and today we see about an 8 to 9 percent refusal rate."

I think this is a fantastic idea!! We need to get these drunkards off the road and in the slammer where they belong after they drink and drive and hurt or kill someone. I know of too many people who have had their careers and dreams destroyed by drunks and it's high time these people pay the price when they choose to drink and drive.

"I would imagine that a lot of people would be wary of having their blood drawn by an officer on the hood of their police vehicle," said Steve Oberman, chair of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers' DUI Committee.

Good scare tactic, but I doubt it's medically sound. Police officers don't have the medical background to be drawing blood from people.

I cannot believe that Idaho's Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court uphold this practice as Constitutional. I imagine this will be overturned as unconstitutional at later date.

I cannot believe that Idaho's Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court uphold this practice as Constitutional. I imagine this will be overturned as unconstitutional at later date.

I hope so...no way would I want a needle inserted in my arm by someone who was not trained to do so...but even at hospitals, some "trainees" have actually insertied an IV backwards! This happened to a friend of mine.

When I went to the ER before, they needed to insert a tube down my nose to my stomach, and sent in a very "young" guy to do the procedure. He almost killed me! Blood was running down my nose and chin and he kept on "probing and probing"...finally i yanked that tube out and told him "take a hike" buddy! They finally sent in another doctor, who did the proceure into my other nose cavity, and he did it quickly and right, no pain or blood.

I've other stories. But I would be "aware" of who is sticking needles in my body!

Too freaky! being pulled over by a police is scary enough, but just the idea of painful needle poking at me (I hate pain) on top of that would be traumatic

This is the kind of thing that makes me happy I can't drive. :giggle:

It's definitely not ideal and more than likely a health hazard to both parties. Also, I should remind everybody that there are some people who are in fact allergic to needles.

When I went to the lab to have my blood work. The technician drawed a "hard stick" onto one of my veins, which is hard to see or feel, making difficult to know where to insert the needle. I told her that exactly where it is at, which she did. No problem. I told the technician that she should tell all doctors to order some Vein Viewers (is designed to make hard sticks easier. Infrared technology maps veins' location, then projects the map onto the skin surface so a nurse, technician or phlebotomist knows exactly where to stick the needle.) She said she liked my idea and she is going to discuss with her boss about this. I told her that I learned it from the Medical school last year. (I took some Medical Terminology courses for 7 years but I decided to take a year off because it's difficult for me to remember all medical terms and abbreviations, etc. I don't know if I want go back to school again, to finish my education because of my age.)

090913_police_dui_blood.jpg

This is what the cop is holding as pictured from the news.

Yiz

What'll be scary is someone who is drunk may be HIV positive. Better triple up on the latex gloves. And wash the gloves off with soap and water. After taking the gloves off. Wash hands with soap and water as well.

Can never be too careful and wash hands again before eating.

What'll be scary is someone who is drunk may be HIV positive. Better triple up on the latex gloves. And wash the gloves off with soap and water. After taking the gloves off. Wash hands with soap and water as well.

Can never be too careful and wash hands again before eating.

I would be more worried about Hepatitis than HIV when it come to being blood-borne diseases. The good thing is that neither ones survive for long once exposed to air, however the people involved have to make sure there are no open wounds and so on.

But that is a dumb move. Not only it's unconstitutional, it is also violating people's personal beliefs. I know I don't want anyone drawing blood from me without life-threatening reason.

Not to mention unsanitatory.

I would be more worried about Hepatitis than HIV when it come to being blood-borne diseases. The good thing is that neither ones survive for long once exposed to air, however the people involved have to make sure there are no open wounds and so on.

But that is a dumb move. Not only it's unconstitutional, it is also violating people's personal beliefs. I know I don't want anyone drawing blood from me without life-threatening reason.

Not to mention unsanitatory.

I agree, this won't stand up in court.

Cops always tries to find loopholes in the Constitution and screw with our rights. All they think of it is a piece of paper. Nothing more and nothing less.
Trust me, it'll get worse.

Yiz

Not a good idea...too many problems with it.

It's so terrible idea.

I wouldn't let police to drawing my blood, no way.

It won't help stop drunk driving.

In New Zealand, if failed breath test. The police can take you to police station for another breath test and/or blood test for evidences. The blood test - a sample must be taken by a registered medical practitioner or an authorized person.

:Ohno:

Hates needles. :run:

ugh!

I don't drink and drive, but if they suddenly declare that they have reasonable suspicion and come after me with a needle, some poor police officer is going to get footed or kneed in the crotch. :D

I'm sorry but I have very little sympathy for drunken drivers.

Um...

I get stopped a lot because the police think I am drunk and I don't even drive! It's the only reason why I carry a CNIB card on me, so that if I run into trouble with the RCMP, I just flash them the CNIB card and I would be let go on my way.

I wasn't thinking of drunk drivers-- but rather the fact blind and deaf people get mistaken as drunk people. Last thing I want is someone to be poking needles into me without an interpreter. Call it over-reacting, but police authorities have a tendency to skip steps if they are not clearly defined or bypass regulations if there are no check-and-balance in place.

I'm sorry but I have very little sympathy for drunken drivers.

People who are suspected of being under the influence while driving may be subjected to such a test.

Note the word, 'suspected'.

The idea of police officers drawing blood from drivers on the spot doesn't settle well with a lot of people.

Back