Doorbell/Telephone flashing

mjcampbell2

Reaction score
I bought Ultratec's Simplicity transmitter/receivers in 2013 and I have been using them. I think they're working okay, not sure if its wifi signaling is getting weaker over time so I'm looking at other brands like Sonic Alert. Ultratec stopped making Simplicity products, and they told me they stopped making them in 2017. With Ultratec stopped making them we would have less Deaf products to help us with telephone/doorbell ringing flashing. Shame on Ultratec. I'm trying out Sonic Alert doorbell signaler and it rings just 5 times compared to Ultratec Simplicity 10 times, and I like Ultratec better. Its WIFI signals are not strong enough to go through my 4 floors townhouse. Same with Sonic Alert. If there are two walls between transmitter and receiver it wouldn't flash. One wall is better. Then there may be other wifi signals like laptop that can interfere with their signals and it wouldn't flash. It can be frustrating because you can't see wifi signals going on in the room and you would have to guess. Wireless is a pretty new technology but not perfect. It's a way to get around wiring. I think wireless needs to improve as to not to interfere with other signals. I have one doorbell transmitter and I wonder if 2 or 3 doorbell transmitters can work together with the same receivers? I couldn't find Ultratec Simplicity products anywhere anyway so Sonic Alert is the way to go if my Ultratec devices broke. They're still working okay so I'm clinging to them. They're expensive stuff. Are there any other brands you use other than Ultratec or Sonic Alert for both doorbell and telephone flashing? If all the companies stop making them then we'll be going back to the old days when deaf people did not have those devices to help them respond to doorbell and phone ringing.

That is not a bad idea. I don't know if you can have some kind of repeater which should not be that expensive considering. Signal in, repeats signal out.

I think when one understands what frequency is transmitting from doorbell you can capture it and repeat it across the home or business until the associated device hears it and answers it by flashing etc.

I live very quietly where I am and only have one visitor routinely. That one knows to flash the light once when she gets into the place so I know she is there if I have not already picked it up through the floor on the door slam as she comes with the key. Others wanting to visit have to prearrange it because being a night runner I do not do well in 9 to 5 society day time so appointments and so on are needed. (Physical therapy for example)

Long ago I had a shepard for a while who knew I was not hearing good and certain non family (Or pack members) knocking will generate a bark or two followed by a set of teeth in my pants pulling towards door. So something like that was a miracle to me. Some of my cats were like that as well strangely. One in particular had radar ears and followed the meter girl when she walked across my land to the corner to read the meter and leave. So doorbells is not the only possibility. Just a thought.

In addition wireless now can locate people anywhere inside a house through walls off the person's breathing and heartbeat (And electrical signals of such) and certain software programs can use a wireless device (A router for example) to scan a given area such as a foyer of your home and you will know when someone penetrates into it among other things.

There are possibilities. Another favorite was a special door mat. Anyone standing on it wanting in usually had lit a light somewhere in the home so you knew someone was at the door. Problems begin when you introduce fires and other disasters. Sometimes if you were sleeping and deaf it will get to your bedroom before you understand there is a problem and its not good. So, some buildings have special alarms for the deaf for that purpose. Even today I will still move fast with purpose when some of those are activated.

I have two squareglow devices at my house. It is wonderful that deaf makers work for a deaf company. Of course, it is made in the USA. That is what I like the most. One small drawback, in my personal opinion, is that it is not a powerful strobe. It shows a video on the website that what the light strobe looks like in the kitchen so that you get the idea. I am okay with the devices. They sell doorbell, VP telephone ringer, motion detector, and a few other things. I think that they will develop a smoke alarm this year. Here is the link: https://www.squareglow.com . I am a customer and this is how I found it on the internet. I think that it was from Seek the World - A Deaf Adventurer, Calvin Young, on Facebook.

Back