DOJ posts new definition of service animal

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

VacationGuy234 said:
What license?

The tags that go on the dog and/or vest.

Do you mean regular dog registration and rabies tags?

I agree.

They should also have service dogs tested frequently to ensure they're doing their jobs. I know some people who get a service dog and spoil them so bad that they stop acting like service dogs. Yet, they still have the right to go around with their service dogs because they're "service dogs". :roll:

I got a rescue dog (Leah), had her health and temperment tested, and found that she would make a good service dog. I found a specialized trainer (I used my tax stimulus payment to help pay for it) to show me the ropes and then I diligently trained Leah myself. While sometimes I jokingly say that she is spoiled, what I really mean is that she has a good life. I don't allow people to talk to her, feed her, pet her, or in anyway distract her so she is able to remain healthy, behaved, and focused on her duty. I agree with you that there are people out there that, after spoiling their dog, it stops functioning as a service dog and give the rest a bad name. When I see that, I also :roll:.

Agreed, but at this time there are no certifying tests or documents needed to prove the dog is trained. People self-train dogs all the time; a few even do a good job. There are organizations pushing right now for a national certifying body and minimum performance testing. Better organizations already do this for their graduates.

I self-trained my service dog. While I didn't have to, I had her tested by the trainer who assisted me in the training, got her certified, got her registered with a legitimate registery (it was free so not infringing on service dog owners' rights), got her a service dog vest, and keep copies of the ADA and other related laws with me. I also continue to train her so that her skills don't atrophy. Not everyone who legitamately needs/benefits from a service dog has access to those same things and many places that offer those services don't do them the same way, which is why they do not have a set standard or even require it by law.

So that means it is limited to dogs, but people who slap a vest on their pet dog still will be within the law without any certification required?

They would not be within the law as the dog would be a pet and not trained to conduct tasks specifically to assist in a disability that the person supposedly has (they must have a disability and the dog must be trained to specifically accomodate that disability). But you are right, in that it would be hard to "prove" and therefore makes it more frustrating for those of us with legitamate service animals.

There are simply things that a Service Dog can do that all the electronic device just cannot. For one, your dog still works when batteries and electricity fail… A dog can smell someone outside and warn you in a subtle way. For those who are older and all alone, they provide security and support. Also, a lot of people who inquire with me about Hearing Dogs have multiple disabilities, where hearing is just one task that is being mitigated.

I am one of those many people who have a hearing dog that is cross-trained for other "disabilities" (in quotes as I don't see deafness as a disability, although Leah is trained to assist with that deafness in all environments as I HATE having to depend on other people and Leah never minds but happily helps, but my other disabilities are actual disabilities and she is trained to assist with those).

My family is beginning to push for me to get a service dog. They want it for both hearing needs as well as for my falling all the time. Doctor has agreed that it might be a good idea. Doctor is also suggesting that I think seriously about moving to a scooter or wheelchair.

IIRC the full article allows monkeys in the next paragraph (for quadriplegics) and grandfathers in the current guide-ponies/horses but after those 'expire'/retire no further horses are allowed...

Sick of seeing 'hearing' turtles and 'companion' hamsters in stores...

Back