Does suffering make you a bitter person or a better person?

The people become bitter due kind of abuses, neglect, etc., not incurable illness. This is a difference.

I disagree - I have suffered a great deal with neglect but I am not bitter.

You have seen so many children who were spoiled and pampered yet many of them grew up bitter.

I think it all boils down to their attitude. We DO have a choice in whether we want to be positive or not.

Look at Jilio above mentioned - perfect example...Im in awe of her spirit!

Isn't bitter same as feeling angry?.. hmmm I wonder if I know what bitter really means...

Isn't bitter same as feeling angry?.. hmmm I wonder if I know what bitter really means...
"Bitter" is anger, hate, self-pity, jealousy, and blaming others, including God.

"Bitter" is anger, hate, self-pity, jealousy, and blaming others, including God.

Ouch, I guess I thought of that word wrong....Thanks for explaining it..

Too late to removed it from my post :ducks:

You have seen so many children who were spoiled and pampered yet many of them grew up bitter.

I think it all boils down to their attitude. We DO have a choice in whether we want to be positive or not.

Look at Jilio above mentioned - perfect example...Im in awe of her spirit!

Yes I know and give you right for that...

I suffered severe neglect and sexual, emotional, verbal, and physical abuse in the past. It makes me bitter & nightmares... I went to self-help therapy to learn to accept about me and positive my life... It helps me alot. I thought about the past sometimes but it doesn't make me bitter. I accept and forgive the people and move on. Like what I said in previous post that each person are different who want the help or not... Some people can help themselves without therapy's help.

I tried to explain Miss Empress that a lot of people who suffer incurable illness positive their life before they died is not bitter than who suffer neglect/abuse etc. in general way.

Unfortunlately yes, some spoiled children become bitter because they are too boring and get everything what they wants and never being receive from right loving parents.. even don't know what positive and negative about etc.

Last edited:
Life is all about choices...

From the day we express our individuality as toddlers, we make choices. We choose what to wear, what to eat, what books to read. We choose our friends, and usually choose our enemies. We decide for ourselves what is right, and what is wrong. And we choose to be sad, angry, hateful...or we can choose to be happy, thankful, pleasing to our selves and others. No one is responsible for your happiness but you yourself. Some people require a teacher (parent, pastor, friend, therapist) to help them learn how to be happy. And some people never learn, wallowing in misery their whole lives and blaming others for it. Sad. Truly sad. It all boils down to taking personal responsibility for your own life. Looking for others to blame for your problems is lame. True happiness and contentment comes from within. It is also the true origin of bitterness and resentment. Within each of us. Your choice.

Codger

Back