Does deafness get better as one gets older??

MarieK1983

Reaction score
I heard from some hearing person long ago that deafness gets better. The hearing person eventually got fired from my grouphome for being condescending to all of us residents in the home. Plus the lead staff of one of the houses lied to the videophone guy saying that i was not deaf or did sign language. What can i do??

I heard from some hearing person long ago that deafness gets better. The hearing person eventually got fired from my grouphome for being condescending to all of us residents in the home. Plus the lead staff of one of the houses lied to the videophone guy saying that i was not deaf or did sign language. What can i do??

“Deafness gets better”, maybe it is more about the people you have in your life as time goes by. That those people understand what you need them to do so you guys can communicate effectively. But then, again it was a hearing person that that statement came from. I’m not trying to be mean toward hearing people but how can one ever truly understand something unless they themselves have experienced it.

Maybe you could have a sign in your room notifying people that you are deaf and maybe detail some ways in which they can communicate with you.

It sounds like you have some rather nasty staff members at your grouphome...

I do have some nasty staff members at my grouphome. They're all hearing...i finally posted a thing on facebook on who to rehire and who to fire at my grouphome. i wish i was moving out into an apartment or something.

Quite true. My grouphome doesn't like deaf people here...YET they allowed a client who did ask for sex....not once but twice....i said no both times. I told on that client and they told me i was a liar....The client happens to be a male i had to move out of the house. I couldn't trust him after that!!!

Your own acceptance gets better, but your actual deafness doesn't.

Thanks for sharing it with us. I’m sorry that you had to go through rough time with them. That isn’t right at all. You are human. Do you think it would be helpful to have someone from the Dept of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Office to contact them and educate them about the deaf culture, ways to communicate, etc? Only you could ask for one. I can support you by giving you a link. It’s depend on where do you live and google your home state and find out if they have a Dept of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Dept. Also that person will also help with any problem that you have with hearing people. She or he would support and empower you.
You are in my prayers and thoughts.

Back