Does CI make Deaf hearing?

Some day we will have hearing aids that will render CI's obsolete. :naughty:

Maybe lol. Doubt it happen really cos hearing aids have bit more limited than CI. CI got limited but not much as hearing aids does.

Some day we will have hearing aids that will render CI's obsolete. :naughty:
It's possible. However, if you're talking about just external hearing aids? Then that would probably be difficult to do. They'll have to come up with an hearing aid that actually bypasses the damaged hair cells in the cochlear which is what a CI does. But you never know. And good luck!

No matter if a CI can provide some hearing one is still deaf regardless of any technology that aids or provides artificial hearing. when you are deaf you are deaf. If the CI batteries die or any part of the system malfunctions, guess what? You are still deaf. With that said there might be some folks that don't veiw it that way and in my humble opinion that may have to do with their view on deafness. Do they view it as pathalogical or cultural?

No matter if a CI can provide some hearing one is still deaf regardless of any technology that aids or provides artificial hearing. when you are deaf you are deaf. If the CI batteries die or any part of the system malfunctions, guess what? You are still deaf. With that said there might be some folks that don't veiw it that way and in my humble opinion that may have to do with their view on deafness. Do they view it as pathalogical or cultural?

So what am I in your humble opinion?

Audiogram:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1329/5168745185_8247578c86_b.jpg

I don't know. I am not qualified to read an audiogram. What do you consider yourself to be?

Well I always used to argue that I'm not deaf because I do have usable hearing. When amplified, much of my hearing is brought up to near normal levels.

However, the dictionary definition for deaf is:

Dictionary.com said:
"deaf   
[def] Show IPA
adjective, -er, -est, noun
–adjective
partially or wholly lacking or deprived of the sense of hearing; unable to hear.
refusing to listen, heed, or be persuaded; unreasonable or unyielding: deaf to all advice."

Therefore, one would have justification to say that I'm deaf.

Though, if someone wore glasses in order to see properly, would that classify them as being blind? No.

It's a tough one.

Well I always used to argue that I'm not deaf because I do have usable hearing. When amplified, much of my hearing is brought up to near normal levels.

However, the dictionary definition for deaf is:

Therefore, one would have justification to say that I'm deaf.

Though, if someone wore glasses in order to see properly, would that classify them as being blind? No.

It's a tough one.

Blind

a (1) : sightless (2) : having less than 1⁄10 of normal vision in the more efficient eye when refractive defects are fully corrected by lenses

Do you view deafness as pathological or cultural?

Audiograms don't reflect how a person really hears in real world enviroment. Just because a person scores within mild-severe loss mean that in the real world they aren't profoundly deaf. There are so many different sound's in the real world that can block/mute out other freqency's.

Audiograms don't reflect how a person really hears in real world enviroment. Just because a person scores within mild-severe loss mean that in the real world they aren't profoundly deaf. There are so many different sound's in the real world that can block/mute out other freqency's.

Oh yeah, especially outside the test booth!

I say it depends on one's perspective and ability.

With mine on, I'm hearing for all practical purposes. I use the phone, conduct conference calls, do all the things the Romans do in Rome. From that standpoint, I can do what they do for the most part. Why wouldn't I consider myself hearing?

Without it being on, the world is a pretty quite place. I know for certainty from this standpoint I'm deaf as in DEAF!!!

Lest anybody misunderstand me, I'm not claiming to be "hearing" but rather have the ability to act like them and be like them on their terms.

I have noticed that there aren't too many "out there" who can do that easily which is somewhat disappointing. Obviously, hearing is a complicated business especially where spoken language is concerned.

I say it depends on one's perspective and ability.

With mine on, I'm hearing for all practical purposes. I use the phone, conduct conference calls, do all the things the Romans do in Rome. From that standpoint, I can do what they do for the most part. Why wouldn't I consider myself hearing?

Without it being on, the world is a pretty quite place. I know for certainty from this standpoint I'm deaf as in DEAF!!!

Lest anybody misunderstand me, I'm not claiming to be "hearing" but rather have the ability to act like them and be like them on their terms.

I have noticed that there aren't too many "out there" who can do that easily which is somewhat disappointing. Obviously, hearing is a complicated business especially where spoken language is concerned.

Extremely well said. To be honest I would hate having my hearing completely and utterly restored. I simply love being able to access sound when ever I see fit and then the ability to mute the world when ever I so desire. We have something that Tons of hearies wish they could aquire!!!

Truth be told...<cough...hack...> I never really look forward to turning my CI off "per se". I only do it so I can wind down and get ready to sleep. I don't know how I could ever hear noise while sleeping. So yeah, I'm not sure I would want to be 100% hearing from that standpoint.

I have noticed that my hearing become more acute when I listen to music a lot. It is the most fascinating thing. I believe that the brain really needs constant input to stay sharp.

I was advised to keep my Implant on all the time-except when sleeping or swimming- to get used to hearing sounds - previously missed. Walking down the street and hearing footsteps-thinking someone is following me -just my own footsteps! Yeah-not a major discovery just what was missed before.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Phil,

Thats exciting when you are new to hearing again and hearing things like that. Yeah I've been there before being scared when I heard something. After I had gotten my CI activated, a few days later I threw some laundry in the washer and forgot to put implant on and turned it on and heard this strange sound. I had thought someone was breaking into my place.. Ends up it was the washing machine lol. So yeah I know what its like hearing and being scared at times. Being deaf you forget these things makes sounds.

An amusing story from an elderly CI wearer. My brother-in-law recites this from a church he worked in a couple of years ago.

She had gotten her CI and after a couple of months she was doing pretty decently with it. Only one thing she couldn't figure out was this noise she kept hearing in church especially in the service. My brother-in-law had gotten in the act as he knew something about CIs from me. So he and some others around her would listen for any "stray" noises to try to pin point it. Nothing seemed to come up that would explain the noise.

Finally, my brother-in-law figured out that it was her own breathing she was hearing! I had to laugh as that has happened to me at times when it is real quiet. All the sudden, I would hear this regular noise and I'm like what is that? Then I chuckle and just shake my head.

Those battery powered clocks can do the same thing when you all the sudden hear the "tick, tick, tick" ever so softly. Normally, you never hear the things due to ambient noises all around you.

Back