Does CI affect some nerves?

From what I ve witnessed with my friends and my hub, and it seems to me that it is common for any one who lose the taste for from 1 to 3 months and it comes back to normal again. i guess its common. its rare for anyone who lose the taste forever. i think.

It is very common but not well explained. I don't know if the drs down play it or intentionally not mention it, but it's a side effect of stimulating the facial nerves. The facial nerve is stimulated during the surgery as a way of monitoring that nerve. I don't know exactly how stimulating the nerve prevents them from cutting it, but if they do cut it they will know immediately. The problem with stimulating this facial nerve is sometimes this bruises the nerve and the sense of taste is part of that nerve bundle. It takes 3 to 12 months for the nerve to repair itself and function again. It took me 12 month ish for my sense of taste to return to normal.

It is very common but not well explained. I don't know if the drs down play it or intentionally not mention it, but it's a side effect of stimulating the facial nerves. The facial nerve is stimulated during the surgery as a way of monitoring that nerve. I don't know exactly how stimulating the nerve prevents them from cutting it, but if they do cut it they will know immediately. The problem with stimulating this facial nerve is sometimes this bruises the nerve and the sense of taste is part of that nerve bundle. It takes 3 to 12 months for the nerve to repair itself and function again. It took me 12 month ish for my sense of taste to return to normal.

yes.

I had a surgery but it wasn't on my head. somewhere is in my body and it took about couple of years later, it came return but some area didn't come back at all. I can image about the head being numb for some times or forever.

Cheetah, for the 12 months that your sense of taste wasn't normal, what was it like? Just curious! No taste at all, or everything tasted different (good? Bad?)

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

AlleyCat said:
Cheetah, for the 12 months that your sense of taste wasn't normal, what was it like? Just curious! No taste at all, or everything tasted different (good? Bad?)

Everything tasted metalic. Especially meats so could not eat any meat because it tasted like it was spoiled. I also could only eat other foods while hungry, once my hunger was satisfied I couldn't stand the taste. Also my own sliva tasted nasty. Just very unplesant.

Wow... I never imagined CIs surgery could make foods taste differently! The interesting things I am learning here.

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

Everything tasted metalic. Especially meats so could not eat any meat because it tasted like it was spoiled. I also could only eat other foods while hungry, once my hunger was satisfied I couldn't stand the taste. Also my own sliva tasted nasty. Just very unplesant.

Wow. Did it ever help to eat sweet things to cover up the metallic taste? How about liquids? Did coffee (if you drink it) taste like coffee? Thanks for sharing with us!

Wow. Did it ever help to eat sweet things to cover up the metallic taste? How about liquids? Did coffee (if you drink it) taste like coffee? Thanks for sharing with us!

No liquids don't like to stay on one side. I can usually keep solids to one side for a while. But once some of it moves over or saliva starts in, I get the powerful metallic taste again. Also my jaw gets tired of chewing on only one side all the time.

Every person has a different experience. But I think the taste thing is very common. For some it's just a mild inconvenience. For me, it totally ruined my enjoyment of food for a year. Today it's all normal again.

Good GOD almighty! I'm thinking of doing this to myself again??? Aye!

hahah my hub said, one ci is sufficient for him. He wasnt crazy about going through the whole thing deal and don't want to go there again. me too. I was there helping him the whole time and don't want to go through this whole thingy again! lol.

I wondering how I missed an alteration in taste after almost 5 years of having a Cochlear implant?
So far no change whatsoever. Perhaps the surgeon did "everything" correctly. Right-lucky to be referred to him.

I wondering how I missed an alteration in taste after almost 5 years of having a Cochlear implant?
So far no change whatsoever. Perhaps the surgeon did "everything" correctly. Right-lucky to be referred to him.

Drphil, you are a one-in-a-million. And I mean that in a very nice way.

Interesting, I don't remember any problems with taste. But I remember my leg was "tingling" (found that word in a dictionary, no idea if you can understand it correctly :D) for one or two days :)

Stress can add complications to any surgery. stress on the body can produce weird things. It can even uncover issues that might be hiding in the background.

Back