Does anyone who has experience Cyber-security?

DoVip

The Master Poker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello, I want to learn about Cyber-security because I just need job. Have you experience Cyber-security before? I am just curious. lol

Back 35-8 years I started but every thing I was learning was already out of date so I though I would wate till things settled down.... still waiting :ugh:

Cyber-Security is one of the hottest job position which require security protection from malicious attacks. This involved protecting servers, internets, mobile systems and Wifi. I don't have much experience with NGFW (New Generation Firewall), but lot of experience in Firewall. As for example that you want to design a separate networks that allow customer mobile phones bypass outside the higher level security network, while employee mobile phones can access through the company network by using the second layer authentication. So you have the responsibility designing, implementing the security protections and monitoring the network activities. You know around the world today constantly attacking and ever changing the new breaches.

I’m not Cyber Security Professional , If you have degree in CS you can pretty much go for Cyber Security Certification course, not just learning will land you the job but it will give you the entry to the cyber security firms where you can easily get a position as intern on the other hand you can try to become freelance security researcher in platforms like bugcrowd, I did the same thing in the past except the certification and ended up in software engineer position because I was losing interest in cyber field lol

I am not sure if you actually need a degree unless you're very good. The governments always seem to prefer to hire hackers without degrees. There were teen hackers were hacking into the federal agencies, Pentagon, etc. They were hired later after they paid the fine.

cyber security is just a small field in the area of computer/digital forensics.
learning how to properly harden the operating system, learning proper and strong encryption, and learning computer forensics. is an added plus. ((These skills are in demand in the corporate world and sadly lacking in implementation))
having skills and confidence in this field can indeed open a lot of doors for you. But be aware you will need certification to be universally accepted in many corporate entities.

I use cyborg hawk linux, Kali linux, and caine infinity. But there are far more out there.
as well as rescue software in linux.
they are all free you just need to download, install, and learn them.
linux is not hard but it is not as comfortable as windows or mac.
with the forensic class distro's it gets a bit more difficult to get used to them but you have very powerful tools at your fingertips
once you get comfortable with it you will find just how much more you can accomplish.
but i will tell you this from the onset! Unless you are willing to venture into linux world forensics , or if you have any trepidation with change, then linux is not for you.
too many people who are not ready for it will try it and come away with a bad attitude about linux.

microsoft os's since the inception of winnt primarily uses NTFS file system format and a single large partition with a repair partition(same format)
and that is a weakness brought on by their own growth, with so many developers writing software packages there are usually back doors left in the system that either forgotten or intentionally left. rushing betas into production without removing the back doors from the code puts it out to the public with a lot of vulnerable gates to open.
mac os's are more secure due to multiple partitions but they themselves use the same formatting schemes (still a vulnerability)

when you partition a drive in linux you have the choice to use the default scheme or chose a format from a list of over 100 different schemes for each partition and the choice of how many partitions you want. But choosing a default scheme is easy but not wise if you intend the system to be a secure one.

the downfall of hardening a system however is user frustration at the security measures it will employ. (double and sometimes triple verification's needed for many functions and rotating requirements for user password changes.
so its kind of a two edged sword!

I did a dab of IT after trucking days in college here in Arkansas. We were provided with a proxy lab seperate from the rest of the school so we could hack each other to oblivion. Most of the possible attacks and defenses are well known to those who have mastered the material and some even become what I call white hat ethical hackers within a company or government to test their own defense from inside. Its too much to type what IT was to me in college. The main thing was I was middle aged among children who knew pretty good the computers involved and so it was childs play to some of them. I did not finish IT because the Nation of India was sending that year H1B workers to do my intern jobs and learn what I am learning and then go back to India and open schools to teach others there. I was essentially redundant and accumulating student loans each year. I cut my losses. I learned what I enjoyed and did not enjoy (Programming in particular) and really was bad at things that needed math. But hardware was my best forte with a little bit of security thrown in. So I build my own systems and for the most part have not had too much trouble from outside parties. If they were that bored in life and penetrate my system, they will find just games. It has no value on the computer.

Part of my IT involved Cisco. Its a whole seperate coursework. In it you have Internet Classes, Subnets, Ranges, LAN, WAN etc etc etc etc Binary too. (Thats fun...) Once you have that and understand routers and so on (Switches etc) it becomes much easier to learn security. You will learn just how bad some of the older windows truly were with thousands of settings to configure etc. and are still leaky. I did a paper on how Fidelity was destroyed by the 9-11 attacks and was first back live and trading on day three. For systems recovery with a secondary look on the losses of their staff and so forth. But despite all that, they were up and trading first live when the markets opened. Thats falls into security etc. These days Wall street is laser connected to sites up to 30 or more miles distant so if NYC vanished in a nuclear fireball, the backup will run the market in real time without losing anything. Among other things.

I offer a amusing side story with security. In class a teacher wanted us to use Linux Redhat installed on aging 300 mhz processor machines (This is like going way back...) and try to provide some form of security to it. I found Clam. Downloaded and installed it after configuring we found that Clam had ... clammed the entire machine shut right there. We laughed so hard. I think the Lab Rats formatted the hard drive and reinstalled linux for the next class day. So no harm done.

What I hated most was the certifications. This, that something or other etc. I don't see the point when a giggling 12 year old can run wild inside say the Pentagon without anyone noticing for a short time without a blessed certification anywhere. Those are the people we want. The rest of us can be considered slugs in a way. Non functional.

Last edited:
Wow, such a great experience. I'm impressed.
You must have known since you were a kid what you wanted to be.
And the fact that you had a little gap in math was a surprise to me, too. I thought being good at math was the default for IT geeks. Turns out you're human too. (that's a joke)

I agree, but maybe a person here would be interested in sharing his knowledge and achievements; who knows? How to hack this question is harmless, you can even ask it on a benign resource on mathematics plainmath.net like this, and their mathematicians will give you the answer. So it's all relative.

Back