does anyone have any advice on formula intolerance????

moon_godess06

Reaction score
does anyone know how to handle formula intolerance as well as acid reflux? my daughters got both problems and nothing we try seems to be helping.any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this doesn't sound pushy, but have you tried breastfeeding? That might help get rid of the acid reflux better then any kind of formula. Might also give some good advantages.

I'm going to assume you've chatted with your doctor about this? If yes, I will strongly suggest switching formulas as needed. Have you tried a dairy (not LACTOSE, but DAIRY) free formula?

As a last resort, there's "Elecare" which is (I believe) sold by Ross- getting your dr to 'prescribe' it can result in being able to obtain funding for it.

It's a fairly expensive but well tolerated formula that is considered "hypoallergenic"- it is safe for almost all babies, including those who cannot handle intact protiens.

How old is your baby and how much does your baby weigh???

Can also try putting oat meal or baby rice in with the milk. It will help thicken' it up and reduce the acid reflux.

If baby to young for that, then you need to talk to the doc about it, or wait till your little one grows out of it.

i've already talked to the ped. he's switched the formula 2 times already and put her on rice cereal. i tried to breastfeed but couldn't. shes on a soy formula at the moment but its not doing much good.

If she has a reflux problem then sit the baby up for 30 min after feeding. feed her a small about at time. Maybe that will work. My friend's baby had the reflux problem. It helped some to keep the formula down.

Other than that, I would suggest you keep working with her pediatrician.

just keep working with her doc, and if you feel like doc not doing enough, ask to see another doc just to have a 2nd opinion. Other then at, can't really do much. Can do more harm then good if u keep changing milks on the baby, that my opinion mind you.

Hope this doesn't sound pushy, but have you tried breastfeeding? That might help get rid of the acid reflux better then any kind of formula. Might also give some good advantages.

Good suggestion, dd.

Just read that you tried that. Sorry. Yes, keep working with her pediatician. Soy formula usually helps babies who can't tolerate the dairy based formulas. Sometimes you have to try several brands to find one that agrees. And babyblues suggestion about keeping the baby upright for 30 minutes and giving small amounts is helpful, too.

If one formula doesn't work, try something else... after talking with your doctor.

Hmm... your ped is not giving a med for your baby? My friend's baby had acid reflux and her doc gave her a med and now her baby is doing fine and is very happy. I m not sure why if your ped is not giving a med for your baby? Maybe you can ask him about that. Good luck!!

Hmm, it may be off the point. I recalled my friend who has twins years ago (now they are young adults) who did not accept formula milks. My friend had tried different formulas for her twins, but they ended up hating them. To battle her wits, she went to see doctor about this problem. What did her doctor tell her? Try 2% milk. She did try to feed twins with that regular 2% milk and they finally accepted the milk. She was very thrilled because that cost of regular 2% milk was much cheaper than formula can. I didn't remember why she could not breastfeeding her twins at that time. She has a son (I don't remember if he accepted either formula milk or regular milk).

Hmm, it may be off the point. I recalled my friend who has twins years ago (now they are young adults) who did not accept formula milks. My friend had tried different formulas for her twins, but they ended up hating them. To battle her wits, she went to see doctor about this problem. What did her doctor tell her? Try 2% milk. She did try to feed twins with that regular 2% milk and they finally accepted the milk. She was very thrilled because that cost of regular 2% milk was much cheaper than formula can. I didn't remember why she could not breastfeeding her twins at that time. She has a son (I don't remember if he accepted either formula milk or regular milk).

And they survived on this? Milk deprives the infant from all the nutrients that are in the formula. (even though I think Breast feeding is best)

How old were the twins at the time?

They don't even recommend 2% for one year olds. They recommend whole milk.

Moongoddess, did you go to a lactation consultant or anything? Some time with a lactation consultant might have helped you.
Otherwise I don't have anything.

Moongoddess, did you go to a lactation consultant or anything? Some time with a lactation consultant might have helped you.
Otherwise I don't have anything.

yes i did go to a consultant. they told me that it was ecause of her being born a month early is why she couldnt quite get what she was supposed to do.

My babies had to have goats milk. Worked great but that
was for milk allergies, (after breast feeding). But other
family members of mine who could not BF used goat
milk with very good results and that was for acid reflux.
Talk to your ped about baby vitamin suplements that
you give between feedings, and talk to a pediatric
nutritionist. Baby needs nutrition. Keep trying, and
asking. Burp frequently. In addition to many small feedings
hold your baby after feeding on your right arm so that the babys
head is tilted slightly to your right shoulder. Your baby
should be in your arms at an angle that will take pressure
off the stomach. (not the abdomen) the stomach is on the
babies left side. So keep pressure off that for about 20
minutes. It may help alot.

Oh.......was it a latching on problem with your baby? Maybe a good idea might be to see if you could pump manually and give her the breastmilk via a bottle. That really might give her the nutrition benifits of breastmilk......

I agree with fredfam1. Goat's milk is much less harsh to a baby's digestive system. I know people who had to use it for their babies. The worst thing about it is the cost. It is expensive. I breastfed 3 children and all were/are extremely healthy. If that were not an option I would have used goat's milk. Formula is meant to be a substitute for mothers milk. Formula is not milk and is not natural for a baby. Feeding a baby milk in no way deprives the baby of nutrients and is actually more like what nature intended. Some of the stuff they put in formula causes additional problems (like the iron-it causes constipation). The problem is with the composition of cow's milk. It is not appropriate for human infants, forms a large curd in their stomach, and is extremely hard for them to digest. Frequent burping in a very young one is needed to ease pressure on the digestive system which can cause gas pains, acid reflux and spitting up.

Back